Popular Tags: [View All]
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've been dating a very nice lady for a few months now and I think I'm ready to take the next big step. No, I'm not showing her Evil Dead II for the first time, I'm not ready to move that fast!

I know she does some game nights with other friends and she's mentioned playing Bang and Scrabble. We also played Rummikub the other night and I've seen Uno and Balderdash on her shelf so I know she's open to the whole game thing. She doesn't care much for science fiction and she reads a lot of nonfiction and sociology books; her movie preferences tend towards historical dramas.

That being said, I'm trying to pick out a game the two of us might be able to play. I've been stalking the boards for a while and I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experience.

Distilling what I know about her, I think she'd enjoy something with fairly simple rules, some strategy, and some direct interaction/conflict. Thematically I think she might like something modern or historical but definitely real - no SF/fantasy. I'd like to have something with a good theme to introduce her to something less abstract than she's played to see if she enjoys it(and also because I don't really like abstract games all that much).

Based on all that, I am considering:
Suburbia
Castles of Burgundy
Guildhall
Citadels

I'd love to hear suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy... Ticket to Ride (preferably Nordic because its good with two)

Its lite on the interaction, but... to Nerds things like Castles of Burgundy and Guildhall might sound historical but to non-gamers they are raging nerd titles.

TTR is the gateway game, start there. it may take longer to get to the games you want to play, but it wont immediately drive her away.

my wife was the exact same situation. she loved TTR and still to this day I can't figure out whether she'll like a game until after she's tried it. however every non-gamer i've tried TTR with, they've loved it.

ooo... another great one is Tsuro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your case I would consider an easy co-op like Forbidden Island. I think some of your choices are a bit too big of a step considering the games she already has. If a co-op is not your cup of tea, I would consider an easy two player card game. Jaipur would fill that spot well. Some may suggest Love Letter, but I think Love Letter really needs at least 3 players to be any good.

BTW: Beware of the Nordic Countries map for Ticket To Ride. Yes, that map is specifically designed for lower player count, but it is a vicious map that can produce anger/hurt feelings. A block on that map can really ruin someone's plans. Not sure I would want to do that with someone I haven't been dating very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't think I need a gateway game necessarily, I don't need to warm her to the concept of games since it's an activity she seems willing to engage in whenever and just hasn't had enough exposure to.

Forbidden Island might be good; as far as Ticket to Ride goes, I've played that a couple times and it simply doesn't appeal to me, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also second Forbidden Island for a coop option, if co-op is an option. (Which, by the way, I think is done well on the iPad since there's no need to pass back and forth and all of the game information is handled on a single screen.)

Pandemic might be another good co-op game to consider. Both games work well with two players and dig a bit (lightly) into player roles/specialties, which is a good spring board for other games that dive deeper into character roles if she winds up enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to go for a co-op, forget Forbidden Island and go straight for Pandemic. I found the former to be pretty uninteresting and extremely lite.

One of my favourite two-player games with my ladyfriend is Odin's Ravens. It really is a clever little game, and one with substantial but not nasty player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe The Hanging Gardens?

Other thoughts...

Finca
Carcassonne

Jaipur is a fun recommendation, too, though my wife and I don't really play games which are that light anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Deich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
my fiancee and I enjoy forbidden island and pandemic a lot (I taught her forbidden island first and she was glad I did). We also enjoy Mr. Jack as well and have recently started getting into the lord of the rings card game. I find that if it's just the two of us she likes co-ops or a game designed for only two like mr jack. I tried to teach her to play netrunner... that did not work out so well, she lost a lot and hated the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also look into Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple of games which might be ideal, might be a stretch.

Hey, That's My Fish - 2-4p,light game, surprisingly strategic, fun, plays in 15 minutes. Short time frame might be key, if she doesn't like longer games you don't have to drag her through something or have her feel bad for quitting. Theme is lacking based on your requirements, but price is right.

Carcassonne - classic, simple gateway game, can be played aggressive or peacefully. Not too long, will give you an idea how she plays, what she'd be interested in as the next based on playing style. Bonus: if you have non-gaming friends or family over, and want a simple, visually appealing game to get them hooked, this game will do it. Thematically, it's there.

Ticket to Ride: Europe - another gateway game, requires a little more thinking and explanation than Carc, much more potential for cut throat. Also ideal for non gamers, some will be hesitant due to theme. But should fit her theme requirements well. I would recommend the Europe version over Nordic Countries because should you wish to play 2-5, you can (Nordic only includes trains to play 2-3). Also, you can later get additional maps, like India / Switzerland for a strictly 2-3 player game (I've had no issues with these maps).

Pandemic- Co-op game, fun, a little thinking, strategic. Not so much conflict with each other, against the board, gets more intense, but intensity while playing with each other (as opposed to against each other) can be far more fun. Will show you her logic and planning abilities, plus whether she's the Dictator / "take control" type (always nice to know in a relationship). Non-gamers enjoy the fact that they don't need to try as hard to start in, as you can help them and still all do well.

Forbidden Island - simplified Pandemic, but equally as fun. Lighter, can be a little easier, more accessible. Some people find the theme more childlike (because you're adventurers, instead of working for the CDC), but it's still a solid game. My "Girlfriend's friends" will play this game because it seems "cute", not as serious as Pandemic.

Takenoko - Beautiful worker placement-ish game, light, accessible, family friendly. Little to no direct conflict, non-confrontational game with some strategy / planning. Nice theme, but not sure if it fits your particular requirements. I'd like to suggest you look into it.

Castles of Burgundy - heavier game, goes over well with everyone I've tried (even a few non-gamers), but HIGHLY recommend getting some quality player reference sheets printed. Due to the complexity of tiles / shear quantity of options, some people find it a little overwhelming the first game, but those cheat-sheets can make it so much more enjoyable from the first to the tenth game.

Rivals for Catan - That would be "rivals" as in 2 player game (as opposed to rivalry), fairly light but can be very strategic, not a lot to moderate conflict (depending on the age you play), tried it with the gf last week and was surprised how well it went. It would be an ideal second game, if the first needs a friend.

Dominion - This is the one that started it all with my gaming group, where we transitioned from TTR to something more substantial. We haven't looked back, but we do go back to Dominion every once in a while. People now turn their nose down at it, because "it's been replaced", but it is still a truly fantastic game, possibly could be referred to as a gateway game. With the base set, you have your strategy, your interaction, not a lot of hostility. You can get different expansions, depending on how you want to play (each expansion has a different theme, which can be a whole different playing style). Bonus: you can typically get it new / slightly used at a reasonable discount, as others have "outgrown it". But you don't HAVE to outgrow it, it's still a great game. Thematically, it's there, it has all the requirements you were looking for, and I think it might be one of the better fits on the page (not trying to pick a fight with anyone).

Twilight Imperium - if you're really not sure about spending more time with her... And want her to know that.

Risk- you'd just rather be alone right now. And who needs friends?

Edited: Had to pull out the laptop, added game-links, and Dominion. Edit 2: Added the note about editing, including this note for this edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Zombicide. It will get her ready for evil dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Village

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have looked at your game list before my earlier long-winded message.

You already have Dominion, and Pandemic. Shadows Over Camelot - I would highly suggest you having a few friends over (possibly "couples"), and bringing this one out. Because it's not too intense, it could be a good fit. Plus, playing it with couples (instead of just "the guys", regardless of gender of "the guys") will put her more at ease, more likely to be interested in playing more / different games.

We actually introduced one of my gaming group's girlfriends to gaming from The Resistance. First game, new gamers are quiet. Second game, they tend to open up a little, but still have some reservations. Third game, they show their true colours, you get to learn their "tells" (when they're lying), what they're like when they get agitated. For some reason, it's fairly consistent: 3rd game, they just cut loose, get into it, and lay into someone who they KNOW is a spy (or at least accuse to point fingers at someone other than themselves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical based game, with great artwork. Better than Ticket to Ride = Thurn and Taxis

Easy to learn, and fun/tense to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been eyeing The Resistance and especially Resistance: Avalon for my actual game group.

Quick note as to relationship dynamics, neither of us are quite at the "hang out with the other's friends" part yet or else I'd definitely bust out all three of Dominion/Pandemic/SOC. Even better, I'd break out City of Horror (AKA "City of Relationship Poison") since it's my favorite at the moment and she and I can handle competition.

Dominion was totally my gateway into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlasherEpoch wrote:
I have been eyeing The Resistance and especially Resistance: Avalon for my actual game group.

Quick note as to relationship dynamics, neither of us are quite at the "hang out with the other's friends" part yet or else I'd definitely bust out all three of Dominion/Pandemic/SOC. Even better, I'd break out City of Horror (AKA "City of Relationship Poison") since it's my favorite at the moment and she and I can handle competition.

Dominion was totally my gateway into the hobby.

Dominion plays well with two, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pandemic is doable, harder with just two, but if you start off with 3-4 epidemics, you can still have a great game.

I would love to say Seasons, but honestly, it might be a little much as a gateway. It might be a good 2nd or 3rd game after your initial gateway game. Castles is good with 2, fantastic with 3, honestly never played it as 4... Agricola: All Creatures Big And Small (with expansion) is a GREAT game, it avoids all the food, growth, farming, improvements - just fences, animals, resources, and buildings (which are simpler). Again, might be a 2nd game due to complexity and you should have a better idea what she likes first.

Take a look at Takenoko (above), it might do well on multiple counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia would be a great choice. Lots of fun, and you can explain it pretty quick and get playing right away.

I don't know what kind of history she's into, but 2 de Mayo is about a conflict that took place when Napoleon invaded a city in Spain. Mobs of civilians formed up and started taking down Napoleon's forces, without any training of any sort. It is a pretty cool idea, it plays fast, is simple, and has a really neat history behind it. It is NOT a wargame. No hexes, or counters, or charts, or anything like that.

You should check out some Martin Wallace games, too. A Few Acres of Snow is about the colonization and conflict revolving around northeastern America. It is easy to learn, with a great historical flavor. It can also be long, when you're new. First Train to Nuremberg is about the small rail companies springing up around the time that the big boys just started moving freight in Germany. Very cool game, very cool history. If you can get a couple more players, Age of Industry is about the industrial revolution. None of those games are too hard to learn.

And really, those are great, and may pique her interest with their history, but you might want to try cutting her teeth on Agricola and Dominion. You already own them, so if she doesn't like the complexity of those two, I'd advise against the Wallace games, though 2 de Mayo may still be worthwhile. And Suburbia is definitely worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Streondj
msg tools
Well my girlfriend (wife) likes Stratego,
it has fairly simple rules, capture the flag,
has good strategy, tactics, memory and even mystery.

Can consider it "historical" kinda like WWI, with all the various military ranks though even contemporary, as it mostly still applies to modern warfare.

It also has the highest game complexity of any known board game[1],
higher than Arimaa and Go, which my wife didn't like.
Probably cause I was doing too much "helping",
though can't really say. In stratego it's kinda hard to help in game, since you can't see the opponents pieces.

Stratego is beyond an abstract game, as it has hidden information, so incorporates some game-theory i.e. bluffing like poker.
I think it could be even more interesting,
if there was some dice-throwing probabilty,
for number of moves a player can make,
similar to how Arimaa has multiple moves.

We played classic, as well as "fire and ice" which is a fantasy version with sorceresses, dragons and such, it has some interesting features, though classic is great also, better in some ways, like the mystery aspect.

1. Game complexity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_complexity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlasherEpoch wrote:
Well, I don't think I need a gateway game necessarily, I don't need to warm her to the concept of games since it's an activity she seems willing to engage in whenever and just hasn't had enough exposure to.

Forbidden Island might be good; as far as Ticket to Ride goes, I've played that a couple times and it simply doesn't appeal to me, I'm afraid.
Bang, Scrabble, Rummykub, Uno... She's definitely still in gateway territory. Ease her into it slowly.

I'm seconding Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island and if need be Dominion and Pandemic. I'm putting FI before Pandemic purely because of the theme, which I think is more newcomer friendly in FI.

Other suggestions would be Kingdom Builder, Qwirkle and Ubongo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:

Bang, Scrabble, Rummykub, Uno... She's definitely still in gateway territory. Ease her into it slowly.

I'm seconding Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island and if need be Dominion and Pandemic. I'm putting FI before Pandemic purely because of the theme, which I think is more newcomer friendly in FI.

Other suggestions would be Kingdom Builder, Qwirkle and Ubongo.

+1 Kingdom Builder and Dominion. They're both satisfying pseudo-historical games that have lots of replayability, and are fun with gamers and non-gamers.

TTR has gone down badly with every non-gamer I've introduced it to... And, to be honest, we don't play it much either. I've had more success with Hanabi.

My mum had a reasonable amount of fun with Forbidden Island but, bizarrely, she had more fun with Zombicide (despite the theme).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attica J
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hanabi
Biblios
Battle Line
Pandemic
Jambo
Jaipur

These are all games that are brilliant to play with girls. You cant go wrong with either of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get her to enjoy hanging out with your friends and then invite her to game with them. My wife enjoys playing Race For The Galaxy with our couples friends on Fridays and playing Battlestar Galactica at the board game club on Saturdays. She likes to host my friends for Magic, but does not enjoy playing as much. I really wouldn't recommend dating someone who doesn't enjoy your friends and interests. I also wouldn't dumb down my gaming for a girl; they are plenty smart to play your games if they are interested in you and not just your money.

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Hello,

I've been dating a very nice lady for a few months now and I think I'm ready to take the next big step. No, I'm not showing her Evil Dead II for the first time, I'm not ready to move that fast!

I know she does some game nights with other friends and she's mentioned playing Bang and Scrabble. We also played Rummikub the other night and I've seen Uno and Balderdash on her shelf so I know she's open to the whole game thing. She doesn't care much for science fiction and she reads a lot of nonfiction and sociology books; her movie preferences tend towards historical dramas.

That being said, I'm trying to pick out a game the two of us might be able to play. I've been stalking the boards for a while and I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experience.

Distilling what I know about her, I think she'd enjoy something with fairly simple rules, some strategy, and some direct interaction/conflict. Thematically I think she might like something modern or historical but definitely real - no SF/fantasy. I'd like to have something with a good theme to introduce her to something less abstract than she's played to see if she enjoys it(and also because I don't really like abstract games all that much).

Based on all that, I am considering:
Suburbia
Castles of Burgundy
Guildhall
Citadels

I'd love to hear suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Webb
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
I got my lady, who is definitely not a gamer, hooked with games like Bang! and Bohnanza. Forbidden Island is also a favourite. It be fair she will never enjoy deeper games but at least her interest is now there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.