Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am lucky enough to own two copies of Frontiers, and am looking forward to the new evolution of the system.

I bought two copies of Frontiers because that gave a great deal of flexibility when constructing armies: the base set came with a very good variety of units, but the numbers of each were somewhat limited.

Heroes of Normandie looks like it has a more balanced mix of units, so my question is one to test the honesty of the developers Is one copy of the game plus the stretch goals sufficient to provide good variety of gameplay, or should I be adding in another base set like I did with Frontiers?

Edit: to clarify, I am referring to the £90 pledge level with its additional goodies plus stretch goals as the "base set"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark feldman
United States
post falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Well, the boss isn't always right. But, he's always the boss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing the same as you I think that will be enough for awhile. Also picking up More Zombies.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginjav wrote:
I am lucky enough to own two copies of Frontiers, and am looking forward to the new evolution of the system.

I bought two copies of Frontiers because that gave a great deal of flexibility when constructing armies: the base set came with a very good variety of units, but the numbers of each were somewhat limited.

Heroes of Normandie looks like it has a more balanced mix of units, so my question is one to test the honesty of the developers Is one copy of the game plus the stretch goals sufficient to provide good variety of gameplay, or should I be adding in another base set like I did with Frontiers?

Edit: to clarify, I am referring to the £90 pledge level with its additional goodies plus stretch goals as the "base set"

I think its enough. With some of the addons, more so.
Im in for the (how do you do the pount symbol?) 90 and added in one each of the expansion and 2 more zombies.
I have every confidence well hit the British army goals.
And I imagine theyll have those as addons too.

So with that 'base' set, I think youd get more by adding in the expansions instead, and maybe a couple British add ons.
You get different tiles, and different units.
Granted you dont get the free stretch goals, but for the same price as another 'base' set you do get:
Sainte Mere Eglise
Carentan
Pegasus Bridge and
Shdaows over Normandie.

Doing this you get:
24 terrain tiles, which have different terrain then what you are getting. Urban, bridge, etc
10 punch boards of units, new ones you otherwise wouldnt have.
New rules, scenarios, cards, dice, etc.

Another 'base' set would get you (including stretch goals at this point)
15 terrain tiles, you already have.
15 punch boards. (1 is more terrain pieces, and 2-3 seem to be unique punch boards you couldnt make use of again.
So really 12 punch boards of all the same you already have.

Now, with more stretch goals that may change.
But I stand by the expansions for the same price instead.
Especially by more than doubling your terrain with all new terrain. I think that will add as much variety as new units.
You would need different tactics and units in a city fight for instance.

On my end, this give me 4 different forces to fight with.
Germany, American, Zombies, British.
So ill have lots of options and can even have a massive 4 way battle with all the tiles from the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob smith
msg tools
I asked the same question. Clem sent me an email and said that I would be best off purchasing the 90 pound set and add-on's because due to the unique units you wouldn't be able to field all the items found in a purchase of two sets.

"Devil Pig Games says:
definitly £90 + add-ons. You wouldn't use half of the stuff because they're unic. And the choice offere by add-ons is better than twice the core box.
CLme"

He has also said this in several other posts on KS. This is why they made the "more zombies" set rather than having people pick up multiples of the stretch goals.

They have been very honest and frank with their supporters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be adding in the add on expansions to my pledge. The point about unique units is a very good one. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a very good point ! Because it's mine !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.