Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I've had the game for a week now, but due to work constraints, I haven't had the time fully give it the run through I want to. Problem is, I'm one of those people who feels like he needs to memorize the rulebook first.

As such, this rule book is serviceable; all the info is there, for the most part, and I like all the examples. Yet it's a bit disorganized and one of the most crucial elements of gameplay (the command cards) has been tripping me up all week, and so far no amount of reading and re-reading is clearing it up.

Let me just see...

1. Ok...for the most part it seems that a player is always limited to ONE command card per incident...be it encounter or system check or whatever else.

Which means, during a systems check you can play one command card to help yourself, or if you didn't do that, you can play one in response to one that an opponent may play on you.

This also means that if you're playing on on someone else to screw them over, if that player manages to overcome this, you can't play a second card on them to screw them over even more.

And yes, I did see that part in the rules about sacrificing an assigned crew card as a "free" effect in addition, so I guess that's a way around the "one command card" rule.

2. What about instances like on page nine, at the top of the page where it talks about "opposed system tests?"

In that example, the "Sensor Overload" card which gets the whole ball rolling is a command card. So how do you count that? Does the playing of an "offensive" forced check card like that count as an "Action" since it's voluntary on the part of the player?

And if so, does that mean the player of the card could still play one command card during the opposed check to help themselves or hurt the other player?

3. And final question...the rules don't explictly say that you can play command cards to help you during a Cooperative System Test.

I like my rules to be nice and explicit, you know. It just says you combine the related values and roll a die. It leaves out anything about command cards still being an option to help you. In the "Opposed System Test" section on page 9 it does allude to a similar situation where "otherwise the test is resolved normally" but I don't know quite what that means exactly.

Thanks for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to break it to you, but you are merely scratching the surface of just how awful this rule book is. It is terribly organized, poorly written, and is missing so much information, that by now, the FAQ is almost as long as the book itself.

However....the answer to your questions can be found on page 22 at the top of the page, under the heading Command Cards. You can play one per test, opposed, combined, attack...whatever. You can also play other cards at any time, such as crew cards.

Hope this helps, and good luck. I highly recommend you download the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieutenant Jason
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! You have already answered your first question.

For your second question, you are giving the example on P.9 in the rulebook, where the Yeager is trying to Sensor Overload the Bortas. While Sensor Overload is a Command Card, it simply commences the test. The Yeager then plays Emergency Power, another Command Card, its single Command Card to modify the test. As the rulebook says on P.8, you also add any appropriate crew cards, just like the Klingons do with Nu'daq. Playing Sensor Overload does count as an action because the condition is a scan, although you are replacing the scan with this opposed system (sensor) test.

For your third question, the cooperative system test is still a system test. Everything is the same except that you have two or more ships participating and thus, a higher base number.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha...I had to laugh because here I was trying to be charitible to a rulebook I was suspicioning was pretty crappy and there you go blowing the lid off the whole thing.

Yeah, I have a feeling you're right...I'm amazed at all the little "you can do this at the certian time as a bonus for no reason" moments that are stuck in all over the place.

I think the sentence "you can play any number of command cards" at the beginning of that paragraph was what was throwing me.

Perhaps I'm still reeling from my experience trying to learn Agricola a few months ago that I'm just thrilled the Fleet Captains rulebook has 12 point fonts and examples that at least match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the quote about playing any number of command cards got us thinking we can go back and forth playing cards during combat. We just couldn't replenish our hands until combat was completed. I'm still trying to get this straight.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.