United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I collect games but don't have enough time to play - close enough I guess.

I collect games. I play them a lot. I could definitely use
more time to game. Or do other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a modest collection and play (some of) the ones I own (as) often (as I can).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2 or 3 days a week. Learn at least 1 never before to me game, and still have over 200 unplayed to me games in my collection. Been doing it like this for at least 3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Voted for 'modest collection' but I'm afraid my current addiction to Kickstarter will throw me off... excuse me while I go click refresh on KS again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a well balanced collection and am content with it.

This is as close as it gets I suppose. I don't have many people to play with so I don't play as often as I would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend a lot of time looking at new games, and I always want my collection to be bigger, but I'm very picky about what I buy (largely due to a lack of funds). To be fair to my wife, I don't buy a game unless I can justify it with an appropriate amount of playing time. I do play most of the games that I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a lot of people own more games than they can play or have time for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The questions are: "Are you addicted to board games?" and "Describe your involvement with the hobby", yet the answers all have to do with game ownership.

The implicit assumption is that "your involvement with the hobby" necessarily involves buying games. Why? Honestly, when I saw the poll title, I thought the answer choices would be along the lines of: "I play once a week", "I play three times a week".

Perhaps a better title would have been "Are you addicted to buying board games?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
The questions are: "Are you addicted to board games?" and "Describe your involvement with the hobby", yet the answers all have to do with game ownership.

The implicit assumption is that "your involvement with the hobby" necessarily involves buying games. Why? Honestly, when I saw the poll title, I thought the answer choices would be along the lines of: "I play once a week", "I play three times a week".

Perhaps a better title would have been "Are you addicted to buying board games?"

I can change the post heading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This a fun survey but these questions are not mutually exclusive...without operationalizing your terms like picky or addicted it will be hard to get anynmeaningful results. In fact some might define too many games as 10 while others might define not enough as 500. Perhaps that is where you should start. How many games is too much how many is too many and has this definition of not enough or too many changed during one's gaming lifetime.

Ask how many hours a week people play boardgames (on average), how many, Games would they like to play, and how many games should you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
This a fun survey but these questions are not mutually exclusive...without operationalizing your terms like picky or addicted it will be hard to get anynmeaningful results. In fact some might define too many games as 10 while others might define not enough as 500. Perhaps that is where you should start. How many games is too much how many is too many and has this definition of not enough or too many changed during one's gaming lifetime.

Ask how many hours a week people play boardgames (on average), how many, Games would they like to play, and how many games should you play.

So help me redefine the questions and I will either add them to the poll or start all over. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I can change the post heading?

Actually you can, by editing the original post.

Although my intention wasn't to criticize as much as bring attention to the implicit assumption that involvement in the hobby equates to purchasing board games more so than just playing them. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to rewriting the questions or adding better options. I tried to come up with a good variety but was rather tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very picky about what games I purchase
I have a well balanced collection and am content with it
I can never have enough games

I know it looks contradictory, but the fact is that if a good game comes along, you simply have to buy it. I have a fairly good collection (when put together with my friend's collection) for every occasion (different amount of time to spend, different mood, and for different number of players), but you can never have enough variety and different types of games.

However, I'm picky about what games I buy, they must suit both myself and our play group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I am very picky about what games I purchase
I have a well balanced collection and am content with it
I can never have enough games

I know it looks contradictory, but the fact is that if a good game comes along, you simply have to buy it.

I feel the same way. I've noticed many people are less selective about buying games but then will actively trade games in an effort to selectively prune their collection. I'm the opposite- very selective when it comes to buying a game but once owned I will unlikely trade it away, and I don't worry about the size of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to pick about 4 options as none quite fit me.

I spend more time recently looking at new games than playing them, but I do also play games frequently with friends. I have a modest collection and have been getting a lot of new games recently but I only really got addicted to board games within the past year, so it's quite small and I wouldn't really say I'm a collector.

Also, obviously, you can never have enough games
When I get the money/they become available:
RoboRally, Android: Netrunner, Rivet Wars, Dominion, Articulate, Scrabble Trickster/Scramble, Settlers of Catan, Tsuro of the Seas, Dungeon Lords...

(I think I'll fit 'more games than I can possibly play' within a year or two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm for sure addicted to Board Games.

How can I prove it?

Well, until 10th of April Serbia was one of very very few countries without PayPal. But all that changed on 10th of April, and my first transaction via PayPal was me becomming supporter of BGG

B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. My name is jonask and I am a boardgame addict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Johnson
United States
Pleasant Hill
IA
flag msg tools
Lol what does "modest collection" mean. Like less than 100 games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliase wrote:

No, haha. Like 10-20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Johnson
United States
Pleasant Hill
IA
flag msg tools
Darn it all. I thought my collection was still in the modest range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Aliase wrote:

No, haha. Like 10-20

That's so subjective. I consider 45-65 games "modest". 10-20 games is a small collection. While I'm at the 100 mark, it doesn't feel "large" though it is a lot of games. laugh But then it seems I'm defining "modest" as moderate rather than small. Apparently, it means both so I guess a small collection is modest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Aliase wrote:

No, haha. Like 10-20

That's so subjective. I consider 45-65 games "modest". 10-20 games is a small collection. While I'm at the 100 mark, it doesn't feel "large" though it is a lot of games. laugh But then it seems I'm defining "modest" as moderate rather than small. Apparently, it means both so I guess a small collection is modest.

If your friends and loved ones tell you that you have too many games it isn't modest or moderate. 100 is a lot, I could agree 50 is somewhere in the middle then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.