Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Walking Dead Card Game? Really? I heard the other walking dead games were... charitably... not good. So what's the scoop with this game?

Components
This game isn't going to impress you with it's components. It comes with 104 walker cards. They're numbered 1-104 and each one is worth varying points. That sounds nice, right? Well, apart from the numbers, there's only five different pictures on cards. The pictures are of various zombies, so parents beware, but there is little gore compared to Zombies or Zombicide. It also comes with 6 hero cards. These are characters from The Walking Dead (Glenn, Maggie, Rick, etc), and are functionally identical.

Note that this is all of the zombie images in the game.

The cards feel a little flimsy, and so does the box. Additionally, the box is like a big brother of an UNO box - it opens from a easily rippable flap on the top or bottom. Trivial but annoying.

Gameplay
The game offers two modes. I'll talk about survival first. Survival Mode is a retheme of an old classic by Wolfgang Kramer - 6 Nimmt. There are four rows of cards, and each turn you have to play a card secretly at the same time as another player. Your card goes in the column with the next lowest card on it. If there are ever 5 cards in a column, you take the pile and are stuck with all the points. Fewest points at the end of the game wins.

Hero Mode is the same game, just flipped and with the added Hero cards. Instead of trying not to take points, you'll be trying to grab as many points as possible. Each player gets a hero card of their choice - great! Except the hero cards are functionally identical - they let you play your card first, breaking the order. You get no special bonus for any specific character.

Final Thoughts
6 Nimmt is a classic. And if you, like me, have been trying to get your hands on a copy of it (or slide 5 or category 5) this is a valid substitute. It's the same game with some Walking Dead artwork pasted over it.

If you are a big Walking Dead fan, I can't imagine this will satisfy - as at no point did I feel like I was killing Zombies. I didn't feel like I was Rick or Daryl or Andrea (although that's probably a blessing). Overall, it didn't feel like the Walking Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game seems so cheap. It is unfortunate that they water down the theme so much. People that are fans of the series will be disappointed and this reflects badly on their "brand".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Removed from my wishlist to buy. Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. So, can we at last put to bed the 'pasted on theme' argument

It's funny that they took a very chaotic and lighthearted type of game and put this setting around it. I can't imagine anyone being particularly happy- walking dead fans will hate it, and someone looking for Slide 5 substitute probably won't like it either. Talk about epic fail.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a big fan of The Walking Dead, and 6 nimmt!, I'd have been very happy with my purchase if they'd used more than half-a-dozen zombie (walker) images.

It would make no difference to how the game plays, but would have been a hundred times more visually appealing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
and someone looking for Slide 5 substitute probably won't like it either.

Well, I was looking for a Slide 5 substitute, so it worked for me on that level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Man, The Walking Dead seems to have some really shitty luck in the gaming world.

One of the two board games was a blatant cash grab - pointless dice rolling with the show's artwork all over it.

The other board game was at least a thematic effort, though from what I read it seems like it fails on a number of mechanical points. This one really surprised me as it was made by a respectable company in the board gaming community (Z-Man, IIRC) - it wasn't just some knock-off company making merch for the mindless hordes (pun very much intended), like the first board game was.

And now this. I'm sure 6 Nimmit is a wonderful card game in itself, but it doesn't sound at all appropriate as a foundation to support the Walking Dead theme.

If the people who control the rights to Walking Dead are too disinterested to make a proper original game, you'd think they could at least buy up the rights for an established zombie game with which to make a Walking Dead re-theme... With the level of attention the TV show is getting right now, a truly thematic Walking Dead board game would easily pay for itself in terms of any licensing fees they might need to spend.

On the other hand, with three less than impressive games already out there, a fourth good and proper might be lost in the crowd by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
The opportunity is long gone as the Walking Dead's credibility as a board game is destroyed but I'm positive that if Flying Frog had gotten the license and made a Last Night on Earth remake with the Walking Dead slapped on it (with characters and scenarios mimicking the show) it would have been a stellar hit - especially if they took special care of the miniatures end of it and maybe even popped it on Kickstarter.

It'd even have had the potential to get existing Last Night on Earth owners to buy the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
The opportunity is long gone as the Walking Dead's credibility as a board game is destroyed but I'm positive that if Flying Frog had gotten the license and made a Last Night on Earth remake with the Walking Dead slapped on it (with characters and scenarios mimicking the show) it would have been a stellar hit - especially if they took special care of the miniatures end of it and maybe even popped it on Kickstarter.

It'd even have had the potential to get existing Last Night on Earth owners to buy the new edition.

I'd buy that yesterday if it was out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This IP is being milked like a fat cow at a pie eating contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, and no thanks for the game

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Schwarzl
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Try out my expansion. Maybe it will be a better experience for you with the original TWD board game.

http://www.facebook.com/UnofficialTWDBoardGameExpansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, am I really the only one who thinks combining 6 Nimmt with The Walking Dead is a screamingly brilliant idea?

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Wow, am I really the only one who thinks combining 6 Nimmt with The Walking Dead is a screamingly brilliant idea?

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy

Nope, you are not alone on that.
I think it is a good idea and I think it works as well. Is it deep? Nope. But I suspect this effort, at least in part, was aimed at the mass-market / non-gamers. So, I think they have managed to put out a pretty basic game that will have appeal to non-gamers. I do wish they had included more artwork/pictures.

In the end I think it will entice non-gamers to enjoy 6nimmt and I was hoping to buy a version of 6nimmt anyway. So, having one with a pasted on Walking Dead theme works for me. And the additional hero mode is a nice lil add on.

Thanks for the review Andy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
6 Nimmt is an absolutely abstract game, so any theme applied to it is going to be tenuous at best. But of all the paint jobs it has received (cows, hurricanes, skiing, zombies) I sure like zombies the best.

"Oh no, I took seven cow heads!"

vs.

"Oh no, I got eaten by seven zombies!"

Granted, I suppose it depends alot upon which direction you're coming from. If you're a huge Walking Dead fan who's never played 6 Nimmt, I see how this could possibly disappoint.

But for a huge 6 Nimmt fan who kinda likes Walking Dead (me) this is really neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
6 Nimmt is an absolutely abstract game, so any theme applied to it is going to be tenuous at best. But of all the paint jobs it has received (cows, hurricanes, skiing, zombies) I sure like zombies the best.

"Oh no, I took seven cow heads!"

vs.

"Oh no, I got eaten by seven zombies!"

Granted, I suppose it depends alot upon which direction you're coming from. If you're a huge Walking Dead fan who's never played 6 Nimmt, I see how this could possibly disappoint.

But for a huge 6 Nimmt fan who kinda likes Walking Dead (me) this is really neat!

Actually, I think most Walking Dead fans will enjoy the game. And by most I mean non-gamer fans. Mainly, I suspect this effort will disappoint Walking Dead fans that also happen to be boardgamers. We tend to have higher expectations about stuff like this.

I guess my own thinking is that it is a good thing if more non-gamers can enjoy this game. Maybe some non-gamers will buy it an discover gaming. And maybe I can get some of my non-gamer friends to play it! And of course, I am happy to finally get a version of 6 Nimmt! for myself. Only with a more interesting theme and an extra play mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

Top idea / suggestion! If only...
I use fan-made TWD characters in the LNOE scenarios which isn't hard to do. And with TP / BITF you can easily reproduce storyline events from both Atlanta and the rural setting in series 2 - I haven't seen Series 3 in the UK yet so no spoilers please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Ok so I guess I'm a bit lame in that I have never heard of 6 Nimmt or Slide 5. And that seems a bit odd as I was assistant organizer of 2 board game groups and no one ever mentioned or owned those games. You'd figure someone would of at least heard of those games and mentioned them and even played them even if they didn't own them.

But anyways, Saw this at my local game store and I had to have it purely because it was The Walking Dead and I love the Walking Dead tv show (I know I am a sucker like that). I also am big into card games like Dominion, Monopoly Deal, Back to the Future card game, Bang!, Fluxx, San Juan, Ticket to Ride card game, Catan card game, Killer Bunnies, ect. I figured this game would be more so like the Ticket to Ride card game, Catan card game, San Juan, ect. Cool board games turned into fun card style games for easy on the go playability when you can't play the board game version.

So, upon opening it I only saw two piles of cards wrapped in plastic and the rule book. This was somewhat concerning. So I unwrapped the cards and took a look at them. Hmmm.. I then wondered to myself what kind of game can you play with this? It didn't seem like it could be interesting. So I read the rules to see exactly what the game was about. on one hand I kinda felt like I shouldn't of bought this game but on the other hand, I haven't yet played it so It could be fun. As the old saying goes "don't judge a book by its cover" or in this case it's contents. So, I decided to look up this game on here as well as the Walking Dead board game to see what others thought of this game. Honestly this kind of game doesn't really sell too much to the more hardcore Board gamers (i.e. the ones really into euro strategy style games). But to the people who are into a variety of styles, into simpler and easier games, fans of zombie themed games and even as some have mentioned here, non-gamers or fans of the show who are either casual gamers or just want this because it's The Walking Dead, this would probably get a few plays.

Now, after seeing the reviews and comments of this game, I feel like this game could have some potential. However as others have mentioned, the lack of decent artwork is really off-putting. My conclusion based on what i've learned so far about the game would be that this is a decent game that fans of 6 Nimmt and Slide 5 could, potentially enjoy. This game is also decent for those that just want a simple card game to take with them to play if they want something to play to pass the time and don't have the means to play a larger board game. This kind of reminds me of Cthulhu dice and Zombie dice in that these games aren't really great and excitable games to play but they can be played when you have nothing better to do or want a filler between games while waiting for others to join in a better board game. You can even transport it easily to play while on the road when playing the bigger board games is impossible. This game seems to be made with the casual game play(er) in mind that has the Walking Dead theme for fans of the show. It's obvious this wasn't made to be a big strategy card game or even a great card game. Just a kind of cheesy game with the Walking Dead theme attached to make money off the show.

However with that said, I do not think it was worth the $15 I spent on it. I think this game could of been packaged in a smaller box similar to the packaging of Uno, Quiddler, the Great Dalmuti, Five Crowns, Monopoly Deal, Scrabble Slam, or Fluxx. There is a lot of 'dead space' in the box. A smaller rule book could have been made and thus it could have been priced between $5-$10 at most. Hell Monopoly deal and Scrabble Slam were only like $6 when I bought them and Five Crowns, Quiddler, and some Fluxx versions are around $12. I expect in 6 months to a year or so when this game is no longer considered new stores will come down to about $10 maybe even less to be able to sell this easier since by then most gamers will know this game and either have it or are reluctant to buy it and they want to try and get non-gamers and other fans of the show who haven't heard about this to buy it so the store can get it off their shelves because the lack of sales in this game. Right now the semi-high price is probably due to 1. The shows name and brand. 2. It's a brand new game and retailers are relying on people like me who will buy this just because it has The Walking Dead on it. Next time I will be sure to check out board game geek and see reviews before I purchase something like this. I usually do tho. I guess the whole Geek in me was just too excited that this was made and I had to have it. I did that with the Storage Wars game. But that game actually seems like a lot of fun as I love bidding type games like 'Modern Art' which I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

I'd buy that yesterday if it was out.

Me too! Are you freaking kidding? Yo Jason and Jack - check into it!!
Walking Dead on the Last Night on Earth game = mega-hit! I imagine the FFP guys have thought of this. I would definitely make it a priority to pursue it if I produced the most popular zombie boardgame out there.
I don't exactly know how licensing contracts work and if, likely, Cryptozoic is contracted to be the exclusive producer of WD tv-related games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Hero Mode is the same game, just flipped and with the added Hero cards. Instead of trying not to take points, you'll be trying to grab as many points as possible. Each player gets a hero card of their choice - great! Except the hero cards are functionally identical - they let you play your card first, breaking the order. You get no special bonus for any specific character.

So does this mean that you can easily play with the same rules with a standard Cat 5 / 6 Nimmt! deck?

Are the cards even necessary? Would it work to just have a rule that once per game each player can play their card first and break the order?

If it's useful to have a physical symbol to discard to keep track of who has done this already, would any token suffice? Poker chips etc?

Lastly how did you feel Hero mode compared to the classic game? Which do you play more often now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I felt this game was garbage. And if this is how 6 nimmit is played, then that game is also garbage.

As for the walking dead theme. There is none. Having Rick vs. Andrea makes no difference in the game. Every hero does the same thing and what they do is equally garbage.

Take a card from your hand, play it where it is a lower number. Try to complete a set so you can grab all of the zombies for yourself. Player with the most zombies at end of game wins.

No wonder the general public thinks that boardgaming and gaming in general is for the geeks or something you do to pass time with kids and need a beer afterwards...its because of this garbage being peddled out there and dragging down the industry along with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is people seem to forget that The Walking Dead, while popular, is created by a one trick pony in Robert Kirkman. He can't do anything other than zombies. Zombies are the most boring of all the "monsters" out there and the easiest to write. Come up with a scenario, add zombies and there you go. Then anything you write, no matter how nonsensical it is can be waived away by saying "It's a zombie story, don't take it so seriously".

So, it's a zombie card game, don't take it so seriously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RowdyRodimus wrote:
The thing is people seem to forget that The Walking Dead, while popular, is created by a one trick pony in Robert Kirkman. He can't do anything other than zombies.

He's written way more than just zombies.

Not that Kirkman's talent or lack thereof has anything at all to do with the topic at hand here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:

Well, apart from the numbers, there's only five different pictures on cards.

As in the original game, this is due to gameplay functionality. The original had 5 different colours representing the 5 different quantities of bull heads. It makes identifying the card types easier and so it makes sense they've applied the same functionality choice here with 5 different zombie pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.