Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK folks. After about a week of playing with the battlefoam custom creator I think I have come up with my layouts. I wanted to post them here for suggestions and ideas. I have gone with the Shield bag and will have 2.5 inches of room left over for wave 3. I will try to explain the extra slots in the trays under the pictures. Mind you I keep Pilot cards, tiles, and upgrade cards in a separate binder so no need for those here.

Tray 1 1" thick plus .25" for bottom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The big red slot on the bottom will fit movement templates and range rulers. The 2-2x3 slots are for my sleeved damage decks. The ship slots are for ships. 3- 2" circles are movement dials. 3- 2x2 squares are bases, and .50x2.5 are for pegs laying on their sides. 1.5x4.5 tray is for dice.

Tray 2 1.5" thick plus .25" for bottom.

Ship slots for ships. 2" circles for movement dials. .50x2.5 for base pegs. The series of side by side slots with the one long slot linking them allow for the bases on edge (cant do this with 1" foam on tray one. the 1.25" x 3" are for tokens. I have 1.25"od acrylic tube with caps to put tokens in.

Tray 3 1.5" thick plus .25" for bottom.

This tray pissed me off like you cant imagine.Ship slots for ships. (I have 5 a-wings but will stack them hence the finger circle and only 2 slots. You can fit 3 in 1.5" stack pretty easy) 2" circles for movement dials. .50x2.5 for base pegs. The series of side by side slots with the one long slot linking them allow for the bases on edge 3.5"x3.5" is for the bigger bases and tiles.

Tray 4 1.5" thick plus .25" for bottom.

Ship slots for ships. 2" circles for movement dials. .50x2.5 for base pegs. The series of side by side slots with the one long slot linking them allow for the bases on edge. 2 3.5x3.5 slots for bases and pilot tiles. (extra one here to allow for small overflow from tray 3. The 1.5x3 are a similar slot as tray 2 for acrylic token holders. (bigger ones for target locks)

Revised tray 3

A big thank you to the revision idea from littlebull. As I looked at his and mine I realized that the 2x2 square didn't need to be in there. So I took it out and added in my other 3 a wings (only need 5 for 100 point squad) Thanks for the suggestion. That is why this is here.

OK hit with me with your best ideas and suggestions. Thanks.
BTW if you have 100 points of each squad this is what this set is for. Yes I could do Planos and stuff but lets face it. I spent alot of money on these minis whats another 70 bucks for a custom fit carry case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim dim
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Battle foam custom loads. Ideas Sugestions help
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89609/how-to-best-use-...

Those look pretty good. Here is a link to my critique I made of my own battlefoam piece that I scrutinized over for several iterations too. It looks like you already used some of my ideas. The ones I would definitely recommend though are a change to the x wing cuts, y wing cuts and normal tie cuts. They are very annoying/wasteful. Do a box for the ties, you'll fit more. the x wings and y wings are a pain in the ass to get out, especially at 1.5 inches deep. I'd recommend doing a box for the x wings and laying them upright, they'll be fine trust me. The y wing cut will work, but put a 1" circle on the engine or head as well. Also, at 1.5 inches, the y wing can stack 4 deep in it... so theres no need for so many of that cut. check out the link to my case and you'll see it better for yourself.

jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes your power point was amazing. You are correct I did swipe some idea from you. The ladder base storage was inspired. My top foam is only one inch with the x wings and y wings. also a little tip I learned is put the ships in upside-down so you can just grab them by the peg.

I thought long and hard about your single box cutouts when I came up with these but I ruled against them. While I am sure they would hold up with no issues under everyday normal use, I do tend to travel and I can see these making several flights with me. I can see me gate checking it from time to time and we all know the people down below are not as careful as we are so I opted for the extra protection. The space difference was minimal in my opinion for the security.

The only reason I went with 5 y wing cuts is I am a bit OCD. Also I couldnt think of anything to put in the space I freed up eliminating 2 slots. (yes the two a wings slots are killing me. But good lord those falcons are space hogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim dim
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cool bro, I'm glad it helped then! Yeah I supposed a lot of TWA love would make me opt for more protection as well. Also it looks like you're sporting waaaaay more fighters than I have, so I guess getting it all on one tray is impossible really, so if you need to take extra space its not really an issue for ya. What are you carrying all of these in? I assume its a large pack? I wanted sleekness, so I had to sacrifice on other characteristics.

Jim

edit... ooops Im dumb, I just read the "shield bag" - im assuming that's something from battlefoam

jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am going with the battle foam shield bag
http://us.battlefoam.com/copy-of-bf-shield-bag-standard-load...

It is made for these trays to fit perfectly in. Bag plus the 4 trays is 79.99 so not too bad with everything I have to put in it. Providing they do not make some monster ships for wave 3 I should be able to fit another tray in it as well. I have used 6.5" out of 9" available in it. so 2.5 inches left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenden Flanigan
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bones, Baby!
badge
Ortho Doc
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this for your third tray.

Hope that helps.

You can move the 1" circles into place as finger holes. I just wanted you to see that it fits.

And you get 6 A-wings, not just 5. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great suggestions. I revised tray 3 and was able to get my 5 a wings and the extra needed base slot. You made me realize the 2x2 square didnt belong in there. THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
If you're really OCD, then go with the max for each ship but 1 A-wing in each 1.5 in well is going to be annoying, even if put upside down. Those slots are small and I'd recommend the finger circle to help get them out or stack them.

Also, I'd recommend finger circles for your card deck wells to make it easy to get those out as well. I like stacking everything I can (I even stack two falcons in one 1.5 in well!) but my space options are a bit more limited than yours.

Lastly, have you checked that the hard 3 turn and soft 3 turn maneuver templates fit in that long space on the 1st tray?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
If you're really OCD, then go with the max for each ship but 1 A-wing in each 1.5 in well is going to be annoying, even if put upside down. Those slots are small and I'd recommend the finger circle to help get them out or stack them.

Also, I'd recommend finger circles for your card deck wells to make it easy to get those out as well. I like stacking everything I can (I even stack two falcons in one 1.5 in well!) but my space options are a bit more limited than yours.

Lastly, have you checked that the hard 3 turn and soft 3 turn maneuver templates fit in that long space on the 1st tray?

You can stack two falcons in your 1.5? They seem to be 1" with the peg each.

The turn rulers playing the geometry game when turned fit in that space yes. Not on edge but turned so each corner touches the same side.

Also battlefoam will give you the cutout pieces so I planed on slicing the a wing foam shapes to place under the ships to bring them up higher. (I should have stated that earlier)

All good tips thank you. This is exactly the feedback I need to make sure I miss nothing. If I can answer all concerns you bring up then I know I am on the right path. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
DarthOctane wrote:

You can stack two falcons in your 1.5? They seem to be 1" with the peg each.

Well, you can.... It's not pretty though. I had to cut out a small hole in the bottom of the case to let the peg of the bottom falcon go though. This let the bottom falcon lay flat. The top falcon inverts and sits on top and squeezes the sides of the well because the inverted shape is not symmetrical. It sticks up about a quarter of an inch or so over the foam. I use the falcon carrying case so only have one tray and the top of the case is more open so it doesn't matter that the top falcon sticks up a bit. A 2" foam would cover it though but wouldn't fit my case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth did you buy the bag how did it come out. I too am looking at getting a custom bag from BF. I think i will go with the sword bag. I liked the way you posted your lay out i will have to do the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I think it came out great. For the price it couldn't be beat. I am however in a small dillema as I only have 1.5 inches of space left. They were nice enough to give me a 1.5 inch pluck foam tray to fill the gap.

I don't use the free tray because I had planned on putting my pilot and upgrade card binder in there. I can however say I have no expansion room for Wave 3 at all. Of course for the low price and less compulsive shopper its fine. I am looking into other options to move my trays into but there do not seem to be many carry options. I may look at a pack bag and then add dividers of plastic or something to hold stuff next to the trays.

Don't take this as a bad review at all. The foam is wonderful and the bag works great. I love it. I just know with wave 3 I will outgrow it. But thats ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reveiw. Why do you only have 1.5" left i thought you would have 2.5" did you change a tray thinkness. Also do the bases stick up out of the 1.5" tray. I up sized my tray to 2in becouse it look like it would stick up. If they dont i can go down to 1.5"

I am haveing same dillema with the sword bag, I know I will out grow it like you. Right now tray one is 1.5in with 5 Y-Wings, 5 A-wings, 4 X-wings and 1 falcon. Tray 2 is 1.5" with 8 tie F, 4 tie A, 5 tie I, and 1 slave 1. Tray 3 is 2in and hold 28 bases, all the pegs, and 1 dial slot for each ship type, 2 for the ties. The 4th tray will be 1.5" and hold all templates and tokens. That leaves me with 4" for wave 3 and addetional slave 1 and falcons.

But looking at the Lambda, that thing is as long as its base. It will have to lay on its butt with its noise in the up in a tray so that make the tray at lest 3.5" deep.

Have you thought about carrying two sheild bags. The Pack 432 has same volume as the sheild so you would need the 720 (which is what i am looking at if i dont go with the sword)and you can by two shields for the price of that. Also the BF trays are so big that i feel like added later waves will be wastfull as you will not fill up a tray.

This is getting long, but thanks for the info it is realy helping me with my design and when i post it mabey it will help someone eles. I am leaning towards the sword bad witht he understainding that i will out grow it and eather need to buy a Sable Design bag or a second sword bag. If i go with the sword i will try to keep rebal and empire ships on seperate trays so i can have a rebel bag and a empire bag. If you have any suggestion please or thought let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthOctane wrote:

I think it came out great. For the price it couldn't be beat. I am however in a small dillema as I only have 1.5 inches of space left. They were nice enough to give me a 1.5 inch pluck foam tray to fill the gap.

I don't use the free tray because I had planned on putting my pilot and upgrade card binder in there. I can however say I have no expansion room for Wave 3 at all. Of course for the low price and less compulsive shopper its fine. I am looking into other options to move my trays into but there do not seem to be many carry options. I may look at a pack bag and then add dividers of plastic or something to hold stuff next to the trays.

Don't take this as a bad review at all. The foam is wonderful and the bag works great. I love it. I just know with wave 3 I will outgrow it. But thats ok.

Let us know how it works once you fill those up. I'm itching to do my custom soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
soccer_knight5 wrote:
Thanks for the reveiw. Why do you only have 1.5" left i thought you would have 2.5" did you change a tray thinkness. Also do the bases stick up out of the 1.5" tray. I up sized my tray to 2in becouse it look like it would stick up. If they dont i can go down to 1.5"

I am haveing same dillema with the sword bag, I know I will out grow it like you. Right now tray one is 1.5in with 5 Y-Wings, 5 A-wings, 4 X-wings and 1 falcon. Tray 2 is 1.5" with 8 tie F, 4 tie A, 5 tie I, and 1 slave 1. Tray 3 is 2in and hold 28 bases, all the pegs, and 1 dial slot for each ship type, 2 for the ties. The 4th tray will be 1.5" and hold all templates and tokens. That leaves me with 4" for wave 3 and addetional slave 1 and falcons.

But looking at the Lambda, that thing is as long as its base. It will have to lay on its butt with its noise in the up in a tray so that make the tray at lest 3.5" deep.

Have you thought about carrying two sheild bags. The Pack 432 has same volume as the sheild so you would need the 720 (which is what i am looking at if i dont go with the sword)and you can by two shields for the price of that. Also the BF trays are so big that i feel like added later waves will be wastfull as you will not fill up a tray.

This is getting long, but thanks for the info it is realy helping me with my design and when i post it mabey it will help someone eles. I am leaning towards the sword bad witht he understainding that i will out grow it and eather need to buy a Sable Design bag or a second sword bag. If i go with the sword i will try to keep rebal and empire ships on seperate trays so i can have a rebel bag and a empire bag. If you have any suggestion please or thought let me know.
Well haven't been back here for a bit. I only had 1.5 left because you have to add .25 to each try for the bottoms of the trays. So that eats up another inch.

I don't want to do two shield bags as Flying with two carry ons is a huge PITA and something I don't want to deal with. the 420 is only 9 inches but they are larger trays so they fit more. I am redesigning with my wave 3 and looking at a 720. (Also planning a PnP tray for my Star Wars LCG to help fill it)I currently have each wave on their own tray and added the template rulers and damage decks to the Wave 1 tray. I am also plotting a simple tray with slots for bases and dials. I will add extra slots so when each wave comes out I only need to add a tray for the ships. Also I have slotted some of my famous 1 inch plastic boxes for Pilot tiles and storage of markers. (they come in a pack of 24 at Harbor Freight for 5 bucks and fit 9 pilot tiles each perfectly.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pyrowolf wrote:
DarthOctane wrote:

Let us know how it works once you fill those up. I'm itching to do my custom soon!

It has held up great. After almost 4 months of use it still looks new. Planning my new bag now. Going to the PACK system so expansion will not be so tough in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.