Subject: Cloak and Nemesis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leandro Simonetti
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not entirely sure on how cloak works... or maybe I am but I don't want to admit its not as cool as I wished it was! So my questions are...

1) If we get to turn the cloaking device on, do enemy ships have to re-try their locks? (but with a -2) or we need to lose them by getting into a nebula or asteroid field?

2) Does Nemesis get affected by the cloak or the rule "nemesis always has a lock on the players" still applies? If No. 1 is NO, then I assume this is another NO as you cannot break lock from Nemesis.

Anyway, this game is awesome! We haven't been able to win it yet, but even loosing we had a lot of fun!!!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloak has no effect on Nemesis. Sorry!

It does not affect enemy ships that are already locked - just those trying to lock. It is best to use the turn you move into enemy detection range, or if you can also break enemy locks through sensors or nebula / asteroids.

Good luck!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leandrosz wrote:

Anyway, this game is awesome! We haven't been able to win it yet, but even loosing we had a lot of fun!!!

Have you tried the training missions? They are a bit easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Dyne
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Cloaking is particularly brilliant in Mission 2. We probably would have died horribly without it. (Which means I'm behind on posting two session reports! Ugh.)

The primary disadvantage to cloaking is that it makes it impossible to use the tractor beam on anything, because in order to tractor a target, you must have a lock on it, which the cloaking device prevents.

With a top-notch weapons officer, you could conceivably end up doing 9–12 damage a turn even without locks, if the officer can load 3 or 4 tubes and fire all the corresponding shots into the farthest section on the weapon track. If your weapons officer can do this, however, make sure she never has to change her station!

Of course, you can't pick up crystals while cloaked, which can make the decision to use the cloaking device a difficult one, particularly if you are required to pick up crystals as part of your mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Simonetti
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies and advices!

So I hated Nemesis but now I'll hate it even more... better reason to get to the final mission!!!

I've downloaded the training missions (thanks for pointing them out!). I'll take them to my next SC session.

Thanks again and cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.