Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Strange
Australia
Dingley Village
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is this game very unforgiving?

I bought the second edition and have played 4 games so far, and in each of these games i have been absolutely creamed after about the 8th Event card.

Is this the general consensus of the game or is there a major strategy i am missing whilst playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

without knowing any facts and events that happened during your play, I am a little bit puzzled about the 8th turn "finish".
The tracks are 7 spaces long, the Tunnel even 8. Not all Zeds are active each turn on each track.
There are not always Outbreaks each turn.
So what did happen then?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroboyzero wrote:
Is it just me or is this game very unforgiving?

I bought the second edition and have played 4 games so far, and in each of these games i have been absolutely creamed after about the 8th Event card.

Is this the general consensus of the game or is there a major strategy i am missing whilst playing?

My guess would be that you've got a rule wrong (and no, I'm not calling you stupid, I also got some rules wrong in my first games of DotZ ). Are you moving zombies on all tracks each turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt! As the others have mentioned, you are probably doing something wrong. The game is unforgiving and tough to win, but if you're setting up the cards properly, the first "Act" is a small group of friendly cards to help you get started. So an 8-card loss would be nearly impossible under normal circumstances.
Have fun and let us know.
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Strange
Australia
Dingley Village
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies about the initial post at the top of the page. I should have been clearer.

As mentioned, i have played a couple of games and seem to get completely creamed each time.

My last game was playing the Nightmare scenario in the v2.0 edition, and within the first 8 draws of the event deck I was subject to two Brains cards, my infection level raising to 5 and all dead Zeds spawning new Zeds on each track of the 8th turn.

I love the game and i certainly builds the tension that I am seeking in a Zombie romp. Are these experiences isolated to just me or is the game just naturally brutal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to survive against hordes of the undead and mutated isn't a thing for the faint of heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played the 1st edition, but the game IS brutal. And fun as hell. Play it more, you'll see that the dice aren't always such little bastards

My copy was in customs for almost a week, finally cleared yesterday. I hope to break it out very very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Strange
Australia
Dingley Village
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is amazing and I am thinking of buying some 28mm models to replace the Zombie counters on the board.

I think the event cards are mean as hell and i need more games to then better mitigate the zombie hordes.

I have been concentrating on foraging in the beginning steps, but is it better to fortify and barricade and fall back instead during the first couple of turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt - I'm glad you're enjoying it!
It seems that the most effective way to go (famous last words) is to build barricades early on the most threatened tracks to slow the bastards down while accumulating enough ammo in the meantime to make later combats more of the efficient gunfire variety (and less of the messy melees).
Have fun!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Brains cards are tough. You need to always keep a firebreak if possible. Two units adjacent to each other are just asking for a "Brains." You can have refugees between the units; because when the Zeds eat them, they don't trigger another advance. I guess the refugees are just more filling for the insatiably hungry.

Others would say that they taste great, but I am sticking with more filling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.