J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you play Netrunner with a playmat?
Yes, I use the orange and blue ones from the files section.
Yes, but they're a different kind
Nope, I don't.
      243 answers
Poll created by coyotemoon722

I bought the orange and blue playmats from inkedplaymats.com around the time the game came out, and they've held up tremendously. I can't play without them, and I always feel a little sad when I look over and someone isn't using them. Is this strange? I think part of it comes from my Magic days, but it's also the fact that they're so handy, and have all the slots perfectly placed. They're also VERY good looking mats, and the picture really doesn't do them justice.

Anyone else feel this way or am I a lone snob in the Netrunner community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like mats that force you to where to place cards & counters. It could be nice for new players, but when you play more you don't need it. And what is more, I like to draw cards with my left hand, so I have deck/id/discard on the left side.

But... I hop I will be using Project Bale playmate after Regionals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the same ones you do. Can't play without them now. They're so amazingly handy. Good for teaching the game to new players also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inermis wrote:
And what is more, I like to draw cards with my left hand, so I have deck/id/discard on the left side.

You know they have image files for the left version right? Just sayin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing with playmats is that they're nice and all but don't cater for 4+ ICE remotes, usually. So I'd rather just wing it. AND it's extra bulk to carry, and I'm a minimalist who makes my own boxes to be as small as possible

Project Beale playmat will be useful to salvage scratchy and dirty tabletops for play though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got them made and shipped from the US to the UK (meaning I paid a customs charge of like £20 to be allowed to pick them up from the post office).

Its so much nicer playing on them than without. Also, I imagine for teaching new players it works well.

I love them, they are my prized possession. They'll be the first thing I pack to take on my holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i could get my hands on a proper playmat I would use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
abodi wrote:
If i could get my hands on a proper playmat I would use it.

Same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought an inexpensive playmat on Amazon that is plain black. I really like it. First of all, it provides a very nice play surface. It is so much more comfortable playing on something soft than on a hard table. It's so much easier to pick up credits, especially since I use metal coins and have no fingernails. Also, the black provides such a high contrast making everything easier on the eyes. The place we play has shiny tables and there is usually glare from the lights. Glare no more with a playmat. Lastly, do I really need the layout on the playmat? No, it's rather unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cloth playmat that I bought back when I started playing Magic in the 90s. It was before card sleeves really existed as a product and was your only real option for "protecting" your cards. It cost me $5 and has held up pretty well over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed out this one, which is similar in design, but good for both sides: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Android-Netrunner-Playmat/548...

Every time I play at least 2 people ask me where I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chlopek
United States
Columbus
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single doubt wrote:
Printed out this one, which is similar in design, but good for both sides: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Android-Netrunner-Playmat/548...

Thats a nice looking mat. Its the first one I have seen that serves dual purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to use a mat but don't own one myself. I am always happy when an opponent has an extra one that I can use. As above, hopefully i'll end up with one of the gorgeous project beale mats in a week or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single doubt wrote:

I use this one as well, absolutely love it. My wife uses the two mats in the original post, they were vital in teaching her the game and come in handy every time we teach someone new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OCTGN is my playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find playmats just end up being in the way. They're entirely nonportable, and strong horizontal or vertical play will exceed the capacity of the mat easily enough. a good hard table is enough for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look awesome, and I would love to have a Netrunner themed mat, but sans card slots. Half our games wouldn't fit (deep ICE, lots of remotes, and lots of hosted virus cards with Anarch -- although not always all at once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single doubt wrote:

I was going to say this exact same thing. That mat is just so awesome, and it really does inspire geek-lust every time I have it in play... so much so that the game store I regularly play at used a photo of it to hype their upcoming A:NR tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reasons to have a playmat:

1. The surface is soft, meaning you can rez/derez your cards without bending them or sliding them all over the place.

2. The surface is clean, meaning you don't have to risk your cards getting residue on them when you play on a strangers table.

3. Defines your playing space. This is an issue at smaller venues or events with a lot of players.

4. Intimidation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer just a picture or blank space. The one I have is from the first playkit and is of the cover art with top/bottom borders. I've come to place various items in specific places and it works well.

Looking forward to hopefully snagging one of the Project Beale items... then I have one Corp and one Runner mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
I'm using the FFG 2012 Q4 GNK play mat. It has the box art lady on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Where can I but those mats? They are exactly what I was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Where can I but those mats? They are exactly what I was looking for!

The files for the images are located in the files section. Once you find those, you can upload them to www.inkedplaymats.com. They cost 25 bucks a piece, and they hold up really well. I've gotten at least 50 games out of mine and they're like new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Thing with playmats is that they're nice and all but don't cater for 4+ ICE remotes, usually. So I'd rather just wing it. AND it's extra bulk to carry, and I'm a minimalist who makes my own boxes to be as small as possible
I have Luca's playmat which I still use for teaching, but for myself, I am starting to find it occasionally restrictive.

ajax has some ideas for a minimalist playmat.

I'm thinking it could be stripped back to the three central servers so that it prints nicely on custom large mousepad or just some legal/ledger-sized paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
single doubt wrote:

Don't forget, I hosted a photohop .psd template file that will let you replace the cyberfeeder picture with any art you want while maintaining the rest of that setup. I currently use a version of that with scorched earth as the backdrop. But picked up the Project Beale Playmat at regionals and think I will start using that one after regionals are over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.