Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Was going to post this in "Should comments made in RSP spill over into interaction in 'real life'?" but thought it might be an interesting discussion on its own.

Over the years, we naturally notice patterns about people, and make judgments based on them. Some are deliberate, while others sort of sneak up on you, surprising you.

I didn't start noticing this about myself until I read a bastardized version of Dave Barry's 25 Things I've learned in 50 Years on the wall of Jimmy John's. And saw one of my more conscious tests in the list.

Since then I've realized that I have no interest in people who:
1. Are rude to service staff
2. Can't lose a game gracefully
3. Aren't nice when they're drunk

Those seem reasonable to me, because they're mine. I find utility in their ability to tell me something about the "real" person.

Then I have some weird ones that I can't define, but I simply can't ignore:
4. Women with crazy eyes
5. Men with child molester lips

(I never find myself noticing men with crazy eyes, or women with child molester lips.)

All 5 of these tests are ones that are pretty final for me. It's not that I intellectually check a box and write someone off: it's some sort of deep, primal reaction, and it is final.

There are probably hundreds of test I intellectually could check off, like somebody being a dick online or trash talking the opposite sex. But they don't reach me on a visceral level.

How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
2. Can't lose a game gracefully

Wait, hold on a minute here--we're just talking about people who really can't lose a game gracefully, right? People who totally could lose a game gracefully, even if no one's actually seen them do it, those people are OK, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly do you mean? I certainly would rather know fun, happy and generous people then miserable, boring misers. At the same time I would not want to avoid them (after all they may well have qualities I may well like, or may be useful to me).

The only people I have no interest in (I assume you mean socially) are those who are an actual threat to my safety and well being (and I find it odd you did not include this in your list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordering steak well done. Wow. I mean... there's no coming back from that. In a galaxy where reprehensible behavior is the hydrogen beneath our wings, there's really no call to do that, and you can't convince me I'm wrong, or it's just "preference." That's a choice, man, and people are makin' it, and I just can't have no truck with that kind of jackass motherfucker bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
slatersteven wrote:
What exactly do you mean? I certainly would rather know fun, happy and generous people then miserable, boring misers. At the same time I would not want to avoid them (after all they may well have qualities I may well like, or may be useful to me).

The only people I have no interest in (I assume you mean socially) are those who are an actual threat to my safety and well being (and I find it odd you did not include this in your list).

When given a choice between socializing with these people and not, I would choose not. I would not invite them to my house for a game day, but if they sat down to play at a public game night I would not get up and walk away. However I would not sit down at a game where they were playing while other options were available.

It would be an effort of will to NOT write these people off. There are hundreds of decision points I could list, like evaluating a threat to my safety, or people being deliberately obtuse, but these judgments are visceral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
About 25 years ago a former employer threw a big party that I attended. One of the guests was a former national championship college basketball player who had gone on to the pros as a back up center and finished out his career playing in Italy before going into business in Indianapolis. He was a couple inches over 7 feet tall.

He and I were drunk and hanging out by the bonfire and he shared this piece of his life view. (Well, his view while drunk any way.) "I've been all over the world. I've met all kinds of people and I got along with almost all of them. I don't see color or race 'cause to me people all look the same: short. The only kind of person I can't stand is a woman who won't fuck me." Thank god he said woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
What in the hell are "child molester lips"? Do I even want to know?

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

When given a choice between socializing with these people and not, I would choose not. I would not invite them to my house for a game day, but if they sat down to play at a public game night I would not get up and walk away. However I would not sit down at a game where they were playing while other options were available.

It would be an effort of will to NOT write these people off. There are hundreds of decision points I could list, like evaluating a threat to my safety, or people being deliberately obtuse, but these judgments are visceral.
Ahh I see, sorry but I took no interest to mean just that. I would agree with you that I would choose to socialize with people I like. But at lest some of your 'criteria' just seem to be based on on who a person is but what you assume about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
A couple of my best friends are people who gave me an initial negative impression, on account of weird, personal litmus tests. But I overcame my initial prejudice, and as I grew to know and appreciate them I forgot about my first impression. Of course, none of them have child molester lips—I agree, that's an instant and irrevocable deal-killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People without the social intelligence to recognize when nobody wants to hear the rest of their story.

People who under-tip. People who over-tip for bad service.

People who "almost" tell off assholes but never actually do it.

People that don't listen and just wait for their chance to talk.

People that aren't funny.

One-uppers.

People that don't drink alcohol at all and they're not an alcoholic or allergic.

Slow drivers. Tentative drivers. Clueless drivers.

People that never have cash. People that want separate checks. People that forget the tax when splitting up a bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
People who are depressive. I can deal will all kinds of crazy, but I just can't deal with downers.

People that can't take a joke.

Vegans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that talk about their jobs and families instead of something funny and interesting.

Dudes that think you have to change your own car oil to be a man.

Men at the mercy of their wives because he won't cook or clean a damn thing for himself.

Those two about being rude to service staff and ordering well done steak apply for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that fake cough around smokers.

Smokers over 30.

People that think Patron and Grey Goose are the best.

People that can't order off the menu without making a change or substitution.

People that think they can cook but they're terrible at it.

Self-promoting "heroes" (teachers, military, etc)

People that mix top-shelf booze into a juicy cocktail.

Cheapskates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that think their diet or fitness routine is way better than the 3,000 other ways to do it.

People that stand in front of doors, stairs, escalators, etc.

Adult men that like desserts.

Pit bull owners.

People with bratty kids.

People that think their dog is their child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarred, why not just list the people you can stand to be around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

I think that'd be a short list... probably like this:

1. Drinking buddies

2. Hot chicks

3. Your mom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that get too drunk too early and ruin the night.

People that read on the toilet.

People that will never travel to see good friends.

People that think you can't use a q-tip in your ear.

People that hate Wal-Mart.

People that won't let me put my drink on the game table.

People that don't listen to the rules explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

The idea is to see if I can find one person I can stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
wmshub wrote:

1. Drinking buddies

2. Hot chicks

3. Your mom
But pretty soon a drinking buddy would mention he had some good Patron the other day, then the hot chicks would make cosmopolitans with grey goose (double foul!), then it'd be just Jarred and my mom.

And my mom talks about her family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsters and all PBR fans

The Big Bang Theory fans

Lakers fans not from LA

Yankees fans not from NY

Cowboys fans not from Dallas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat people skinny people short people tall people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for helping me stay busy through a 2-hour flight, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
wmshub wrote:

1. Drinking buddies

2. Hot chicks

3. Your mom
But pretty soon a drinking buddy would mention he had some good Patron the other day, then the hot chicks would make cosmopolitans with grey goose (double foul!), then it'd be just Jarred and my mom.

And my mom talks about her family.

Your mom never mentions family when she's with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jarred;

Go on. You're doing great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
People who still pay for things like groceries with checks.

Couples who fight or snipe at each other in public.

People who order Miller Lite or Bud Light when there are better options available.

People who are reasonably well-off but pretend that perfectly normal things are too "fancy." These are usually the same people who order Miller Lite at a bar with 100 taps or think Olive Garden is an appropriate place for anyone older than 22 to eat.

Most everything Jarred said is right too, except the thing about cash. I don't carry cash, ever. It's 2013. Anything I can't buy with my debit card I don't want anyway.

Fans of NASCAR/college sports.

People who spell things wrong and then say "This isn't English class, who cares?"

People who still talk about their fraternity or sorority after they graduate college.

People with quotes and/or pictures in their e-mail signatures.

Alcoholics. (This is a real one for me. I don't mind drinking, or being around drunk people. I get really uncomfortable around people who have obvious drinking problems, though. I have too many family members who fit this description, being around someone who has an obvious problem with booze makes me feel like I'm back in time as a 12 year old watching my drunk uncle scream at my grandma in front of all of us kids. It's one of the few things that makes me uncomfortable enough to avoid someone. There's a "friend of a friend of a friend" who occasionally is around for gaming that has this effect on me, if I know she's coming I'd rather stay home.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.