MCS» Forums » Rules

Subject: MCS team - rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moto-Craze Speedway
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everybody, this is MCS team. Just letting you know that we are here to address any issues you might have concerning the rules. Feel free to write us - we won't leave any questions unanswered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I got my copy back in April and have had many enjoyable 2 player matches.

Over Christmas I was back at my parents and we decided to go for a 4 player game. Although the rules dictate an individual tournament we wanted to try and keep it as a team event.

I can say that this does work and, with a few tweaks to the rules, can be just as enjoyable.

-Team mates were allowed to confer on what number rider they were going to use before each heat

-If a rider has 2 opposing riders immediately in front of him (i.e. 5-1) then he is able to charge even if the two riders ahead have been involved in a charge. This was brought in as we realised that the front 2 riders could charge each other and therefore be free from being charged by the opposition based on the existing rulebook.

-If 2 riders on the same team were battling each other in the bends, the 1st card laid could not be the chequered flag card. This was brought in as races were being immediately finished by 2 riders on a 5-1 playing 1 card and not offering resistance therefore ending the race without the opposition having any chance to do anything. This is more up to personal opinion as you could easily ignore this and take the "well that's just how it goes" approach.

-An idea was raised, but not used, that a player could lay cards for either himself or his teamate to increase the teamwork aspect. This was not tried as we felt it would be pretty messy; but others may like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moto-Craze Speedway
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi David. Sorry for the delayed response but we have been away from the computer for some time and seen your post only today. I hope this answer reaches you ASAP as we feel it is necesarry to discuss some of the aspects you have addressed.

davidjohn2112 wrote:

-Team mates were allowed to confer on what number rider they were going to use before each heat

We had considered this variant in 2v2 matches, yet never got round to implementing it. This is valid proposal which we fully support as it makes room for some tactical interplay between the team-mates. Next time we will definitely give it a go.

davidjohn2112 wrote:

-If a rider has 2 opposing riders immediately in front of him (i.e. 5-1) then he is able to charge even if the two riders ahead have been involved in a charge. This was brought in as we realised that the front 2 riders could charge each other and therefore be free from being charged by the opposition based on the existing rulebook.

The rulebook states that [...] if a rider wants to make an attempt at overtaking (charge), it is necessary for him: 1) to be positioned directly after his opponent; 2) not to have been involved in any overtaking attempts during the current lap (regardless whether he has charged or been charged).
Thus, the fact that the defending riders have been involved in a charge bears no significance as the aforesaid rule concerns the rider who is making an overtaking attempt (not holding it off). In other words, he can try and overtake them freely (keep in mind that after the first overtaking attempt the said rule refers to him as well and he can no longer try and overtake on this very lap).
The discrepancy must have been caused by the "he" in bold as you probably thought it referred to the opponent, whereas we used it to refer to the rider who is making an overtaking attempt.

davidjohn2112 wrote:

-If 2 riders on the same team were battling each other in the bends, the 1st card laid could not be the chequered flag card. This was brought in as races were being immediately finished by 2 riders on a 5-1 playing 1 card and not offering resistance therefore ending the race without the opposition having any chance to do anything. This is more up to personal opinion as you could easily ignore this and take the "well that's just how it goes" approach.

This implies that you finished the bend after the second rider offered no resistance, whereas the bend lasts until all the remaining riders decided to pass. So, if the leading rider plays the chequered flag, second, third and fourth rider get a chance to counter it with their card. If one of them happens to counter the chequered flag, all the remaining riders again get a chance to counter the new card (even if they passed earlier). This goes on, until the card is played and none of the remaining riders decided to counter it.

davidjohn2112 wrote:

An idea was raised, but not used, that a player could lay cards for either himself or his teamate to increase the teamwork aspect. This was not tried as we felt it would be pretty messy; but others may like it...

Try implementing the rule from my answer in the previous paragraph - it should increase the teamwork aspect.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In case of other proposals or inquries feel free to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for this, the explanations make a lot of sense and I clearly misunderstood some rules in our initial run through.

As I had only played 2 player games we had never encountered the corner issue for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.