Subject: First blood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Pacześ
Poland
Puszczykowo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To tell the truth I was much afraid of this game. My expectations were great and I felt like it must be brilliant. But inside me little worm was devouring me - was it really well spent cash? Will I enjoy it with at least significant fraction of joy players here express? Will anyone want to dedicate to it beside me. After unboxing and cherishing all little contents of the game i waited for the yesterday's night to present this game to the gaming society I belong to.

When the evening come it occurred that MW will have to wait in the queue... so we warmed up with "5 second" and "King of Tokyo". Then it was time to try to reach Cobol. At first I was strongly participating to help them decimate Cylons with my Boomer. In the middle of the game it became apparent there is much more of Me . Pity we were unable to bring the pathetic food resources of puny human fleet to zero. And then... ta da = MAGE WARS!

I had read manual few times prior to the game and so I was in the role of tutor.

My first real impression when trying to present this game to Chris was - it IS huge, yet there are NO "BUTS".

I mean i had to dedicate like 10 mins to explain the cards to him, with many, many infos: range, cost, quick action, quick cast action, full actions, spell types, dices etc... Yet EVERY rule is simple, cohesive and intuitive.. and it END with a dot and not with list of special cases, exceptions, conditionals etc . We had to refer to codex with each new card - checking its traits / attacks / icons and it was enough to read about it ONCE ALOUD to start keeping track of it. Also whenever you think there is far too much creatures in any zone to keep track of everything there... - one good zone attack spell will give it much more needed air.

The second impression was: We can manage!
My Beastmaster cast some wand and creature. Chris Wizard made the same! I repeat equipment/creature on my second round. With Chris equipping his wand with some huge elemental spell. We advanced our creatures and they clashed in the middle. After few bloodthirsty battles I gained situational advantage with placing 3 rots on Chris' Mage and 2 of his creatures, then my Grizzly ran into his mage and tore him nearly apart. Next round was the coup de grace. I won!

The third: You need to Bluff, adapt and RISK!
We enjoyed the dice rolling - i had 4 dice attack rolling 4 blanks and my grizzly inflicted about 10 critical damage with his 5 dice quick attack. I had endured being chain zapped and stunned. The fact we didn't know the outcome of any action meant we had to anticipate failure everywhere and make some hedge about it and it was fun! We used some enchantments and dissolved some equipment.

There is no time for anything!
We played quick! Even though it was first game and we have only the slightest possible knowledge of the game there was no downtime at all. Action for action gameplay gives You and requires huge and constant involvement. The game finished in about 90 mins with all the tutoring and leafing through codex. With MW your adversary will not leave you going for cigarette, checking his mails, texting to someone or playing on his Ipad waiting for You to finish Your turn. You get something to do or decide all the time which is a Win situation for me!

Final foughts:
1. I found my Cobol here : Intuitive, deep strategic game with no downtime. It has been like 8 hours from the end of the game and it still scratches my brain.
2. It has contagious potential and seems once you got rot you get no save throws...
3. I feel like I need to get aquainted with the Jedi… ups ForceMaster promptly…,imperative…? ASAP, NOW!

Cannot wait for my next play....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moerenhout
Belgium
Lede
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another addict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Pacześ
Poland
Puszczykowo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another week has passed and I was quite eager to play MW again (and again ). This time I was able to strike 2 games and introduce the game to 2 new people. Both matches were played by Warlock (others) versus Pristess (me).

Though the games were played the with the same set of wizards – they were quite different in the outcome. In the first round I was steamrolled with direct strikes. I was smiling widely thinking everything was under control (I had more creatures and I seemed like to be more active – puny me), I used heal on my Priestess, only to be hit with Drain Life – which took me my last HP and gave them to the foul Warlock standing between my astounded creatures.

Then was detour – short chameleon quick game and Yet another attempt to reach cobol (BSG with second expansion). One brilliant game, and again I had to switch sides at second allegiance draft. I was scheming so deeply that President and Admiral were utterly convinced that one another is cylon. They both took me out from jail (I was Boomer again) and I was given order to attack cylons. The undercover was successful – once in a ship I destroyed some of my digital brothers. Earthquake came on the admirals turn when I convinced them to give me opportunity to use my one time ability and get rid of the nasty crisis they just encounter. Their faces when I chose to FAIL the test was worth every prize . The mediocre human once again fled to Cobol – but it was anly to great luck to crisis drafting (their resources at last jump were 3pop, 2 food and morale, and 1 fuel). Then… oh well it is not BSG forum… pity…. so anyway lets get back on the track.

Second game was much deadlier. This time both my opponent and me exchanged blows. I was amazed by clever tactic choices of my adversary, who without any of my help took active use of enchantments and then exploded my wand (ouch that hurt!). I eventually won – but I had just one hitpoint left – should the dice not liked my last roll I would be dead by the end of next Warlock action. I was immediately asked If I would like to rematch – but it was 2 a.m. and I was due to be at work by 8 am so we bid ourselves fare well and good night (damn I might have risked sleepless night .
What did these two games changed in my evaluation of the Mage Wars?

Well, the most obvious thing is, that it really proves to be straightforward. I introduced the game to two more people, and both of them were able to get it on the fly. To tell the truth the second game with all introduction, book presentation (I went through explaining ALL spells in the Warlock spellbook) and the game itself took only as long as the other four of us were able to finish their Love Letters game. They simply could not believe it could be done… end yet… it was.

The rules proved twice again to be bulletproof – seeing people understanding such a complex game – priceless. The freedom this game gives to the player - makes it shiny little gem. I observed tactics used by opponents and the biggest fun I drew from the game was the fact they were able to strike some strategy and adapt it once I tried to enforce my own one – on their first game.

I still cannot believe that someone can ask You to play ANY game at 2 a.m. just after the first game finished with their demise. Yet when it comes to Mage Wars seems people seem to get it personal when killed on the arena .

I also start to appreciate the fact how balanced are the Apprentice spellbooks. I mean it is a game about fight to the dead – and each mage has his own abilities and skills. Each plays differently – each casts different spells with different dice numbers, effects etc. End yet no one complained either at winning or losing, that his mage was worse, that his spellbook was inferior or anything that hinted at the unfair balance /disturbance of the force.

Bottom line – I start to be more and more fond of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skywarden wrote:
placing 3 rots on Chris' Mage ...

only one spell (of whichever kind) of any unique label is legal to cast on a single object/creature...
I'm almost sure -I did play that wrong for the first time too, exactly with those rots..
(yet not sure how about the 'zone'.. can I target/cast two Mohktaris or Caltrops onto a single zone?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
spokosin wrote:
Skywarden wrote:
placing 3 rots on Chris' Mage ...

only one spell (of whichever kind) of any unique label is legal to cast on a single object/creature...
I'm almost sure -I did play that wrong for the first time too, exactly with those rots..
(yet not sure how about the 'zone'.. can I target/cast two Mohktaris or Caltrops onto a single zone?)

Rot is a status effect, not a spell. So it stacks up.

Only one card with Zone Exclusive is allowed per zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh my apologies,I thought it was about Ghoul Rot.. the effect token is surely a different case..

Mohktaris and Caltrops are not defined as Zone Exclusive spells ehm.. but thinking of that description- why it is missing- it implies probably that it's okay to target a single zone with two spells bearing the same name..I guess.. (so e.g Poison Gas Cloud stacks up, right?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.