Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Toth
Switzerland
Adliswil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the question is pretty much in the subject.

I'm playing this game for the first time with 4 people. Should I mix in the White Moon expansion, or just play the base game?

Edit:
Thanks for all the responses. We did play with the base and managed to beat the initiation level on first try. We got one of the easier incarnations, but got horrible dice rolls and made plenty of errors. So overall the difficulty was way lower than I expected from the game reputation.

Looking forward to trying higher difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tempting to add all your sweet to the base game, but I'd advice you to play your first game with just the core set first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend playing just the base game when playing for the first time.

White Moon adds a lot of features and gives another taste to the game. It's better getting used to the core game's mechanics before jumping to a meatier level.

Plus, the core game is excellent and I found it a bit harder than White Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game alone is enough to last you a lifetime.
Prepare to be challenged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the base game (I would say a handful of times) first. The base game alone introduces enough new mechanics to even an experienced gamer, and the rule book is not super spectacular. So there will most likely be some hangups. White Moon is not just a little addition. It creates a thick, new layer of thinking and puzzling to the game. Playing them both at once for your first session is not advised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to echo everyone else in the thread - play the base game first. I've played Ghost Stories about ten times now (and actually beat it once, woo!) and I'm still having issues getting my head around some of the mechanics introduced in White Moon (the crystals in particular). The base game is really great as is, and I find that WM adds some bloat that might not be totally necessary (though that opinion might change once I play White Moon a few more times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
...and the rule book is not super spectacular.

understatement of the year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Toth
Switzerland
Adliswil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
thedacker wrote:
...and the rule book is not super spectacular.

understatement of the year

Yeah, I have actually printed all the FAQ and Idiot guides I could find

Also watched a few videos (which wasn't really all that helpful, since they were full of errors ).

Sunday will be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you want to suffer a serious brain injury, I'd say just go with base game for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Play the base game (I would say a handful of times) first.

I'd say a very large handful. I played Ghost Stories more than 50 times before playing a few with White Moon - then went back to playing without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely only the base game.
There will be plenty of things to figure out just for the base game,
mostly due to the not so thorough manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, +1 to Base Game only.

It's one of my favourite games and as neat as White Moon is, I prefer playing without it.

One of the best things for new players is the flowchart on the back of the rules. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about Ghost Stories is that it's a game that can't be figured out, or puzzled out(well, at least with the base set). It constantly surprises you, forcing you to adapt your strategy to account for every new threat.

A relatively calm start can turn into a frenetic hellstorm, because every type of ghost in the deck contributes to the tension in some way.

So, you've battled through all the toughest Black ghosts in the beginning, and now think you're safe? Wrong! Remember how no summoners or power blockers ever appeared? One toughness pushovers right? Well, now they do, in chains! You're almost overrun now, and the incarnation is next!

This is what contributes to the longevity of the base game. Certain victory paths cannot be calculated in Ghost Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.