Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
i'll admit right now that i don't have the boardgame, i played it only on the web in: www.ticket2ridegame.com although i wanted to know if the boardgame any diffrent from the web game in that website and i have been told that it isn'y diffrent. i like that game so i decided to do review on it. when i'll have soare cash i'll defintly buy it. i planned to buy it until i saw carcassonne and started beeing a fan, hoping it will get my home soon . this review is for the people still thinking if to buy the game, i hope you accept it even tough i don't have to board game .

I.
General review:
Ticket to ride (TtR) is a light fast game. you won't ever find youself thinking more then three minutes what you should do, and the game usually take 25-45 minutes. the object of the game is simply getting the most points buy putting your train at strategical places. if you afariad buying that game because you think there is too much luck in it may i tell you this: the game strategy is doing best with what you got. if everybody called simply pick the cards they want where is the interest in that? that the whole point! do best with what you got. you'll see that there is less luck you think under "Simple Rules".TtR is generally easy, funny and fast.

II.
Simple rules:
Ttr hae 4 pages rule book 1 page for front picture and last page for thanks and such. so actully the rules are written on two pages with many pictures. nice dosn't seem too hard to get it. i'll even give you a link to the rules on the web if you don't understand what the heck i'm talking about in this chapter: http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/index.php?t=content&sub=rules...
mabye i won't touch all the rules but you'll get a picture how the game works.
Setup
each one tkae the 45 wagons from the color he chose and put them near him. take the wagon cards and detenation cards and shuffle them seperatly. open the five first cards in the wagon deck and put them face up near to the deck. each player take 3 destanation cards. each one pick 2 or 3 cards to hold for himself and the rest he put at the buttopm of the destanation deck.
Wagon cards
there are few colors you'll find on the wagons you take. red, green, black, white, blue, yellow, orange,pinkand colorful. those cards represent the wagons you have. (see more at "putting trains") if you got colorful you can chose what color it will be. after using wagons cards trough them back to the buttom of the deck. there is the deck which all cards are face down and five cards near it that are faced up. you can take 2 cards if you wish. the cards can be both face up both face down, one face up on face down. there is a little rule that disturb though. if you picked a colorful wagon face up you can't pick any other cards this turn. if you picked card and then you wanted to take face up colorful wagon just no you can't . if faces up wagon had been taken draw a wagon card from the deck and place it where the card that had been taken was.
Destanation card
you can think about destanation card as quest. the destanation card give you certin point if you build a train between to cities that are written on the card. if you fail those point will be subracted.if a player choses he can draw three destanation cards if he does that he have to keep at least one destanation card.
Putting trains
on the board you'll see that between each city there are lines that are divided to sqaures. those sqaures 'saying' how long this pass is. for example if between new - york and chicago there is line with 4 sqaures(making it up) you'll have to spare 4 wagon cards and put 4 wagons. sound easy? well sorry but there are few rules holding you from winning the game so easily. each line have color. the wagons card you can put on it must be the excat color. for example: if between new-york aand chicago there is a line of 4 sqaures and it's red in order to build train there you have spent 4 wagons that are red.
Turns
in each of your turns you can decide wather to put trains,
draw wagon cards or draw destanation cards.
Scoring
there are few rules of scoring. not too hard to understand.
1) each destanation card you completed will give you numbers of points as written on it. each destanation card you hadn't completed will reduce your points by number written on it.
2) the player that have most train following together will gain 10 points more. for example: imagen the map that at the right side of it there are 5 cities that called A, B, C, D and E and in the left side 5 cities that are called 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. one player build train going throgh A,B,C and D. while other player did train going throgh 1, 2, 3. the player who putted his train through A, B, C and D will get 10 points bonus.
3)there is table showing how much point you get for each train you put (the longest the train is the better.)
putting train with 1 sqaure gives you 1 point
" " " 2 " " " 2 "
" " " 3 " " " 4 "
" " " 4 " " " 7 "
" " " 5 " " " 10 "
" " " 6 " " " 15 "

III
My thoughts:
i find TtR an exellent game although some people might say it's too light, or the game is a joke. well the game is light and it suppose to be light. but light game dosn;t mean that you don't need to think, right? there are few things that you need to think on playing. trying to put wagons fast but not too fast so you could save a little for longer trains. trying to complete destanations cards and trying to conect them to other long train that you'll get the precious 10 points bonus. trying to see what the other players trying to do and put and train infront of them and so on. actully the main reason that i didn;t buy the game beside that i want to save some to other games is israel is small and i didn't find that game anywhere, although for you, amrecians and all other people will be able to find that game easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Its light, but it ain't fast!

Board play is usually 60-90 minutes on the 12+ or so times i've played the board.. ONLINE it can go as fast as 30-45 minutes though, i'll give it that.

The problem here is I think TTR overstays its welcome pased the 30 minute mark. It is a turbo-light filler quality of gameplay, that lasts 60-90 minues, which is a serious problem - and why I rate it fairly low.

TTR stands up GOOD with online play, but unfortunately I don't rate a game based on online play - although I suspect many people rating TTR are rating it based on that snappy 30-45 minute online session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
i can see your point... well i hope to get it soon laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The problem here is I think TTR overstays its welcome pased the 30 minute mark. It is a turbo-light filler quality of gameplay, that lasts 60-90 minues, which is a serious problem - and why I rate it fairly low.

Well, maybe you should play faster? I don't have much experience at the US board, but i have played many gemes of TtR:Europe. We usually need 10 minutes per player, so it's 20 - 50 minutes per game (although one slow player might well double the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Werbaer wrote:
Well, maybe you should play faster? I don't have much experience at the US board, but i have played many gemes of TtR:Europe. We usually need 10 minutes per player, so it's 20 - 50 minutes per game (although one slow player might well double the time).

The original game is slightly faster than Europe, I find, due to the greater use of short pieces of track the board usually necessitates. In the groups I play with, your time assessment is about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with newbies we always found play time to be a maximum of fifteen minutes per player. Sometimes a bit shorter, but never longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.