Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am more posting to see any feedback or suggestions, rather than it being a "official announcement".
I recently got Tactics II at a FLAGs that had it pretty nicely discounted due to going out of business (sad). Hadn't really gotten into heroclix before, but I knew that it was a light-hearted miniatures game.
Being that I can't just leave things alone, I want to make a sort of mod/expansion that would add a little more "oomph" to the game as far as choices, tactics and timing, as well as give it more of a Starship feel.
I am going to implement this mod to follow the fantastic rule set posted here on BBG by
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
, STHC: Real Tactics.
Anyway, the system would add Crew/Characters to the game in the form of a single small Tile that you would "attach" to the Ship card. In addition, these Character tiles would come with a set of 2 or 3 predetermined Ability cards that act outside of the normal Heroclix abilities. I am thinking about adding specific Characters, such as Kirk, Spock, and so on, but also generic Away Team types to board ships and kill other characters (Or Red Shirts to be sacrificed to save another Character on board a ship whistle). Characters would be worth 25 to 50 points each.
Each Ability card would be used only a single time per game, can be played outside the normal turn structure, so the timing of the cards would be critical. The abilities will also be fitted to the roles of those characters. For example, Picard would have abilities that fit his role as a Captain and Diplomat, while Romulan characters would probably have Spy abilities and Cloaking. We'll see how that pans out though.

Interested? Feedback or suggestions thus far? I am not sure how far this will go, or even see a actual release, but hey, food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FaydeShift wrote:
Interested? Feedback or suggestions thus far?

I think Real Tactics makes this a MUCH better game.

Unfortunately, I can't get anyone to try it.

As far a the other modifications go, I'd only be interested in them if either:

a) They were Artscowed so they'd be slick enough to use in public.

b) Or they used something that already existed that would be slick enough to bring in public, like the cards from Star Trek Catan or Fleet Captains.

Otherwise, for me personal (and for a game I can't seem to get anyone too excited about as it is), a new group of 'homebrew' modifications for it, would be of little interest.

YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know! Though, I wonder how I could get around copy write issues if I published it to artscow... Cause I don't mind doing it if it works, but I'd hate to get in trouble for a boardgame mod... lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FaydeShift wrote:
Good to know! Though, I wonder how I could get around copy write issues if I published it to artscow... Cause I don't mind doing it if it works, but I'd hate to get in trouble for a boardgame mod... lol

I've never seen it come up and I've made about 15 decks and I know there are many decks on this site that have been linked here.

But I am not a lawyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how complex you intend to implement this -- on a high level this could be like the feat/equipment cards available to heroclix. If you want to add simple stuff like basic powers you can always refer to the existing feat cards to get point cost examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't get anyone to try it.

One day, Michael, I look forward to playing with you ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose it will be more complex than the current feat system, mostly because many effects can "kill" other crew members, "capture" enemy crew, or reveal spies and use another crews power for yourself.

Also, once a card is used, it takes a action in order to return it to your hand.

Here is what I have so far (I have not test played any of this yet, fyi).

Crew will have a similar cost system that Feats do, in that the number of crew points you get is limited by the number of points you have for your ships. Additionally, you can only use a single crew card once per game (though, some crew abilities allow you to re-use abilities). Any effects that are made toward the ship it's self is temporary and is in effect until the beginning of your next turn. Lastly, Crew is selected in secret and kept faced down until used.

For example, the Red Shirts (a Federation only crew card) reads like this:

Dead Man Walking:
Kill this Character in the place of another Character.

Expendable:
Target an enemy ship within 3 spaces. If this ship has at least 2 damage on it, roll 1D6. If the roll is 3 or higher, kill this Character in order to kill a random Character on the enemy ship. If this fails, kill this character anyway.

Or Nu'Daq, a Klingon crew:

Captain:
Regenerate another Ability card of a Character on board this ship.

Reckless:
If 1 or more friendly ships are with 2 spaces of this ship, loose 2 defense to gain 2 to your to-hit number.

Hope that answers any questions thus far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FaydeShift wrote:
Well, I suppose it will be more complex than the current feat system, mostly because many effects can "kill" other crew members, "capture" enemy crew, or reveal spies and use another crews power for yourself.

Yeah, there are feats that mimic those effects also, i.e. some are single use and/or get destroyed on certain conditions, some can be taken by the opponent also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I'll have to look more into them then, since this is my first delve into the Heroclix system, I am pretty unfamiliar with many aspects that are not included in the Star Trek system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.