Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after getting some rule clarifications here (thank you) we took RA out for a burn. I found the scoring all very straight forward right from reading the rules, unlike T&E, after 3 games of T&E I’m still not sure. So explained the game to my wife who pretty much hates rules I have come to learn and likes even less when I’m always looking in them. These rules are very straight forward thankfully and after one game I don’t think I will even need to look at them ever again.

We played with the suggested variant here in Variants and up to 7 RA tiles which worked very well. There are very little changes really only that, which Suns you start with (2-4-6-9 and 3-5-7-8) and no penalties for fewest Pharaohs or Suns. I was initially turned off when finding out you will make one open bid only as it seemed some strategy and fun would now be gone especially with 2 players but that wasn’t the case surprisingly enough. There is a lot to think about every auction and with the passing rules the way they are, it all worked out fine. I still think a blind bid like in Lowenherz would be interesting with 2 players and I may try it and report later, not knowing what the other will bid will add intrigue and you might see some interesting over bids, you would have to keep your Suns concealed throughout and you would need the option to bid 0 as well to make it work. Well you can see I like to try new things but alas here it isn't necessary as the game worked great in that regard so far and it may even change it in a bad way.

ROUND 1 - Vicky got an early lead after the first epoch; I got burned with an unrest right before it ended causing me to lose my Civ tile and 5 points for not having one. She ran out of Suns first having fun calling RA which left an interesting situation after. I had free run of the auction now but only my one Sun tile and two RA spots left. I pulled about 2 tiles and then RA, damn. Now came some tension, do I keep pulling and risk losing everything or take what’s there? I pulled 1 or 2 more then swamped Suns ending the epoch. I had more Pharaohs and got 5 for that. I scored some floods and niles but lost the points due no Civs. She had some buildings built up already, scored 5 for 3 different Civs and 6 for floods and niles. Now 11-5 for her.

Second Epoch was quite different. I ended up getting some gold, floods and niles, buildings and I was ahead in the Pharaohs again as well. She had a pile of niles by this point and buildings as well. She made a great move during this round swamping a god tile for a flood near the end. I didn’t have a flood but I did have a god tile and I missed the opportunity. Luckily I did get a flood after. I ran out of Suns first this time. She actually had the same thing happen as I did first round, she pulled 2 tiles then RA. This was great as now the tension was on her, she buckled early too pulling only one more tile. After this epoch I was winning 39 – 32.

Now here is where the game fell really flat, hopefully bad luck but after looking at all the tiles that were left I’m thinking the percentage of RA tiles is maybe just a tad high for 2 players?

We start this round and she wins one big auction giving her more buildings and a flood to go with her pile of nile tiles. Then we pull a tile and RA, pass, pass. Then RA, pass, pass. Then RA, pass, pass. Then 2 other tiles finally got pulled and one was an earthquake...DOH. Then 4 consecutive RA tiles which ended the game. Man that was really a let down, talk about anti-climatic! Now I am open minded enough that something dumb like this would never turn me off the game or any game for that matter. Even if it kept happening I would find a way to fix it anyway if I know the game is worth it. This was a great game until that happened. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to take out 5 RAs, what do you think? Being a 2 player game it almost makes sense since the track is one spot shorter?

BTW I lost 64-44 yuk . I really thought this would become her new favourite game (not counting DOA) as she loves Egyptian history and I knew it was a fun auction game but she thinks she still likes Settlers better after one play, more plays will tell. Her words were, “after one play of Settlers it was love at first play but not here”, she still really liked it but maybe I hyped it up too much for her as she did say she was expecting more. She also was quite tired and didn’t grasp all the strategy until near the end. I think RA has quite a bit of strategy for a simple auction and set collection game and I can’t wait to play it again, even more so with 3 people. Another Knizia great for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok due to the current "black hole" for SR's, so far no answer to this so I'll knock it onto to the front page with this reply.

Since that first game, we have played 6 more with mostly us two and I just love the game, the push your luck element is really over the top.

I have gotten burned from the tiles in two of the other games and I now take out 2 RA tiles every game. Does anyone else do this for the 2 player?

Also, we tried spreading out the tiles on the table and then putting all the tiles in piles on the table (I think I may have seen this mentioned here before). I found this a more uniform progression and it worked great, the wife didn't like it but maybe losing didn't help that for her! devil Badly too, 91 - 59!! I think the bag is much more random and we have decided to play one game with the bag and one with piles for now. Anyone with any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, she now really likes this game as well now but I think she hates losing in this just about more than any other!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.