Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Giants» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Sensations (and not mechanics) review after 5 games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are mechanics reviews everywhere so I'm not talking about this, but I'll focus on sensations and feelings.

I'm writing these lines after what was our 5th play to this game.

I can only say that I've never won, but everybody (winners too) agree that after the game all of us can't help but think how to do it better in future games. New strategical thoughts flashes our minds.

Besides, this last game session was completely different to previous sessions in some sense: we run out of hats and trees (well, only a 3 logs hexagon remained). With that I mean that either we are developing new strategies or the phase-1-rolling-the-dice generates different scenarios that leads to different tactics. Great for replayability!.



The idea that every piece, figurine or token in the game has double-functionality is great! Do I use the worker for sculpting or carrying? Do I use the tribal marker in the bid or save it for getting a half-rongo later on? Shall I break two Rongos with the Chief now to get some wood or safe them for the next bid (they broke ties)?. Do I start a path so that others follow me giving me points, or shall I speculate placing my carrier at the end of the path reaching the farthest position?. Your brain wont burn, but there are many decisions to take and there's enough space for some strategical thinking.

It is eminently a tactical game, at least from my point of view. There's of course room for long-time-and-space actions (like transporting a size-3 Moai far away) that require a bit of your strategical skills, but what really matters is what you do every turn. How well you adapt to the situation, unpredictable because of your opponents (which may - and will - screw you up). First there's the blind auction, then the worker placement, speculating with the tribal markers. You have to take into consideration what is everybody doing and take advantage of it. The semi-coopish mechanics generates great interaction and unpredictability.

After 5 games, once basic mechanics are assimilated, the screwing-your-neighbour-strategical-thinking raises powerful on every player. And that magnifies the game experience a great deal. Interaction is here! Lots of interaction for an euro-game. Good!!
So if you are one of those cube-movers that detest interaction, I can tell that this game is not for you.

The initial bid in Phase 1 is feared by all, haha. It's devastating when you send 2 or 3 workers to sculpt... and your sculptors can just but sit down and see the others working because you lost the bid shake. Someone foresaw your intentions and screwed-you-up. Ouuuch!

Now I'm not only thinking where to place my Moai, but also how to reach there giving you the least transport points. I'm also trying to guess where you are going and block your target ahu with my Sorcerer so that you spent 4 turns to move your size-3 Moai to... nowhere! devil.

If everyone is getting headdresses or logs, you can try to finish them off so that no-one else can use them xD. But remember to mark them with your tribal markers or they'll be stolen.

Well, that's it. Summing up: interaction and some backstabbing . Suitable for some gaming groups.

Pity that some large moais do not sit still and many hats don't fit. Beyond that, the game components are awesomely beautiful!!
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game and I had to sell it off a few years ago. Always meant to buy another copy. Kicked myself because they had it on sale at Origins a couple years ago for $40 and I couldn't pick it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:

Pity that some large moais do not sit still and many hats don't fit. Beyond that, the game components are awesomely beautiful!!


Do the boiling trick to get the hats to fit.
i.e. puts the hats in boiling water till they get soft, put them on the statues while hot and let them cool. The hats will fit thereafter.

I shaved the bottoms of my statues using a heated xacto knife to make them stable.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manko wrote:
Dharzen wrote:

Pity that some large moais do not sit still and many hats don't fit. Beyond that, the game components are awesomely beautiful!!


Do the boiling trick to get the hats to fit.
i.e. puts the hats in boiling water till they get soft, put them on the statues while hot and let them cool. The hats will fit thereafter.

I shaved the bottoms of my statues using a heated xacto knife to make them stable.



Great!
Thanks for the tip Steve . Think I'll give it a try!


FunkyBlue wrote:
I really like this game and I had to sell it off a few years ago. Always meant to buy another copy. Kicked myself because they had it on sale at Origins a couple years ago for $40 and I couldn't pick it up.


I think I've bought mine at 24.5€, great offer
And now I'm starting to paint the figurines, but I'm noob at painting
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manko wrote:
I shaved the bottoms


9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Works in the UK are selling Giants for £10 currently, so that's how much I paid

As to the hats/tribe markers not fitting - you have to put them in place then twist them ever so slightly. It even mentions this on the small playing card sized bit of paper included with the set. (Maybe this is a later edition addition?)

I've not had any heads that won't stand up, but if that is due to moulding lines then a simple scalpel blade can be used to shave it away.

One question - your review mentions using the sorcerer to block another person's transportation..?? I can't find any reference to that rule! Please clarify!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:

As to the hats/tribe markers not fitting - you have to put them in place then twist them ever so slightly. It even mentions this on the small playing card sized bit of paper included with the set. (Maybe this is a later edition addition?)


Yes, I know. In my copy of the game,some of them fit this way, but many others do not.

Bifford wrote:
I've not had any heads that won't stand up, but if that is due to moulding lines then a simple scalpel blade can be used to shave it away.


Yeah, that's the next step (now I'm painting the minis of all the tribesmen). Thanks

Bifford wrote:
One question - your review mentions using the sorcerer to block another person's transportation..?? I can't find any reference to that rule! Please clarify!


Not exactly. Sorcerer/Chief cannot block transportation.
With the Sorcerer (or Chief + 2 Rongo) you can mark/secure an Ahu placing one of your bases face up, so that no one but you can build there (you need to have the sorcerer/chief on the hex adjacent to the ahu).

If someone is moving a heavy size 3 moai somewhere (that would take several turns), and he has not secured the destiny ahu, you can block that ahu with one of your bases so he cannot build his moai.
In the beginning of the game it is useless since all the ahus are empty/unoccupied and he could build in adjacent empty ahus. But in the late game, many ahus are occupied, so it is possible that you block the only available ahu he could reach (not to use it yourself but to prevent the other player from building and scoring there).
Hope I made myself clear now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:

Bifford wrote:
One question - your review mentions using the sorcerer to block another person's transportation..?? I can't find any reference to that rule! Please clarify!


Not exactly. Sorcerer/Chief cannot block transportation.
With the Sorcerer (or Chief + 2 Rongo) you can mark/secure an Ahu placing one of your bases face up, so that no one but you can build there (you need to have the sorcerer/chief on the hex adjacent to the ahu).

If someone is moving a heavy size 3 moai somewhere (that would take several turns), and he has not secured the destiny ahu, you can block that ahu with one of your bases so he cannot build his moai.
In the beginning of the game it is useless since all the ahus are empty/unoccupied and he could build in adjacent empty ahus. But in the late game, many ahus are occupied, so it is possible that you block the only available ahu he could reach (not to use it yourself but to prevent the other player from building and scoring there).
Hope I made myself clear now


Ah yeah - I knew about that one. Have cought people out with that myself The way your original text was written made it sound like an opponent wouldn't be able to travel a head through a sorcerer of an opponent. All clear now though

Sam / Bifford
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game twice now and since have bought it at the Works for just about everyone i know who games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
Played this game twice now and since have bought it at the Works for just about everyone i know who games.


That's a good gift (specially now, considering the fantastic prices for this game in the UK , you lucky people laugh)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.