Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first year attending gencon and I was wondering a few things regarding transportation prices.

Does anyone know about how much parking prices are per day?

And how early I would have to arrive to get a decent parking space without too far of a walk?

My fear is that I would have to park farther away a walk in the hot sun then sit around the entire day in sweaty clothing. Not my idea of fun.

Or I was thinking of just taking a cab daily but I really don't have a clue on cab prices. I am staying about 7 miles out at La Quinta. Or heck does la Quinta offer a shuttle?

Any idea on a cab ride each way for 2?

Thanks a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If memory serves, parking across from the convention center is ~$25/day, if you can find a spot. However, it's been a while since I used the structure as I stay downtown now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
United States
Lake Bluff
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went two years ago and each day I parked in the Lucas Oil Field parking lot (Colts Stadium). It's located across from the convention center, so not a long walk. I generally arrived before 10am each day and had no problem getting in. If memory serves, I believe parking was around $10-$15 each day, which isn't bad considering the cost to park in the downtown Indy garages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Circle Center (mall) parking is something like $15/day. A lot of the suburban hotels offer a shuttle, I would definitely call and ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i went a 2-3 years ago and i parked about a 2 blocks from The Ram, but i was staying at the Sheridan downtown. it cost me $80 for parking from tuesday until sunday afternoon. But i just parked and walked everywhere.

It was hot, and i mean record breaking heat for Indy 100+ and you can walk pretty much anywhere downtown mostly in shade if you pay attention to the shadows. I am used to heat like that and don't mind crossing the street if necessary to stay in the shade. i did find it amusing watching all these people walk in hot sunlight carring stuff sweating to death because they didn't want to cross the street where it was much more comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some $5 lots as well. Since we won't be using it this year (staying downtown), it's time I pass the secret spot on. Just South of the Hampton Inn on Meridian (same side of the road) is an unattended lot. You park in a numbered space and put $5 into the applicable slot on a big box.

The locals fill that lot up by 8:00 so you need to get there early though. Also, you can't park overnight (hence why we're not using it) but can leave pretty late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fetzik
United States
Glenview
Illinois
flag msg tools
Parking downtown ranges from $10-$35 per day. Median is about $20 per day. The cheapest stuff is further out and you need to get in before 7-8AM.

The best thing to do is check out the following interactive map. Zoom in and click on the "P" icons to check pricing and hours.

http://www.indydt.com/interactivemap.cfm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2011 my brother and I stayed at the Park Place, 2 miles away, A 2BR suite for $99. Free parking.

It was a nice, inexpensive place, but cab fares were $8-12 each way (depends on the cabby, they can get competitive with one another). Also there was a bus route that was $1.35 but the buses ran on working hour time, not gamer-at-con hours.

We walked to the hotel once. Decided 2 miles was worse than it sounded considering the amount of walking we did all day at the con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I parked here:

Government Center Washington St. Parking Facility
401 W. Washington St., W108
232-6268
State Garage
SW Quad
Rates:
1 Hour $3.00
Daily Maximum $15.00
Event $10.00
Hours:
Weekdays 10 a.m. - midnight
Saturday 24 hrs
Sunday 24 hrs

The garage is just across the street from the west end of the convention center. It is the best place on Saturday and Sunday for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to take a taxi from the airport to downtown last year, about 9 miles I believe and it cost about $45 in fare.. ouch! You would be better off to rent a car then pay the taxi I think from where you are. Parking is not terrible, the lot just above the Ram Restaurant is where I always park, I think its about $12 per day if I remember right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
BoilerFanatic wrote:
I went two years ago and each day I parked in the Lucas Oil Field parking lot (Colts Stadium). It's located across from the convention center, so not a long walk. I generally arrived before 10am each day and had no problem getting in. If memory serves, I believe parking was around $10-$15 each day, which isn't bad considering the cost to park in the downtown Indy garages.

Last year we parked at the lucas oil lot every day. It was $10 and right around the corner from one of the convention center entrances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Since we drive in from Chicago, we found it much cheaper to stay at hotels around 10 miles from downtown.

We used to park in a open air lot which was $10 day on Thur/Fri, $5 on Saturday (as long as the Colts weren't in town), and free on Sunday that was about a six block walk to the convention center. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

However, by chance, we found a better & cheaper spot last year so I'm hoping to repeat with them this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been staying out around the 465 beltway since it started. Saves us around 60% on the hotel bill, and it's easy as pie to drive in. Even with parking and gas, it's still cheaper than staying downtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsfetzik wrote:

This map is awesome, we used it last year. One little known secret is that White River State Park-South Lot just west of the convention center on Washington by the Marriots across from Victory Field. We paid $10 a day for the entire weekend, but we also had to keep checking the meter and paying daily. It was worth it though, and was the cheapest I've ever payed to park at Gen Con. However, we also were there on Weds night, and spaces are limited... so you might not be as lucky as we were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marimacc .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to point out that Gen Con just announced last week that they'll be partnering with a company to do some shuttle runs from outlying hotels and apparently a suburban loop as well, to the convention center.

The route hasn't been announced yet, nor the price for shuttle passes (it's not a free shuttle), but they do already offer a shuttle service from the airport to downtown for $10, not too shabby. Here's the info from the latest Gen Con newsletter, FYI:

The 2013 Gen Con Convention promises to be bigger, better, and even easier to get to! We are proud to announce GO Express Travel as the Official Transportation Partner of Gen Con Indy 2013! If you’re staying at a suburban Indianapolis hotel this year, many hotels will be serviced by a GO Express Travel shuttle, which can take you to the Convention Center! GO Express Travel will help you save your money for having fun so you don’t have to spend more on downtown parking or taxi services. The shuttle pass will be an all-access pass to hotel routes, allowing you to access gatherings all over the city. More information about the 24-hour shuttle routes and Online Pricing will soon become available!

If you’re flying in to Indianapolis this year you can get to the Indianapolis downtown area from the airport for just $10! Reservations for the GO Green Downtown shuttle can be booked online HERE!

Like GO Express Travel on Facebook for up-to-date information and an easy way to get any of your questions answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
Go Express Travel has updated it's shuttle info for GenCon 2013.

1.) Routes to various pickup /drop off sites outside of the Con (i.e. hotels, shopping areas, etc.)

2.) A link to the webpage to buy the 4-day pass for shuttle rides to and from the Con.

The Skinny: $50 gets all 4 days; shuttle runs every hour; hours = 7AM-3AM.

https://www.facebook.com/GOExpressTravel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second or third or whatever it is the South Lot at Lucas Oil Stadium. It is a huge lot and I doubt it would ever be full. However, last year I got there before the attendant arrived and my credit card would not work in the automated system. There was a line of cars behind me and I could not backup to get out, but he showed up about 5 minutes later to let us in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.