Subject: First Chapter pretty easy.....What am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian M
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So my brother and I gave M&M our first trial run the other day and had a blast.

But there was one problem in my mind - the first chapter was extremely easy. Which in most cases means I was doing something wrong.

We added cheese to the minion wheel anytime a cheese was rolled during combat/defense.

We added cheese after the last character on the initiative track finished their turn and no more minions where on the board.

We did make some rule mistakes with the Crow at the end of Chapter 1.

Anything else I should look at? I re-read the manual and nothing jumps out at me. Other common mistakes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- how about doing multiple search of a single tile (on first success - you should stop / per character)
- searching only once per turn (per character)
- use "unlucky" dice maybe these are too friendly with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Did you move the hourglass when minion wheel was filled?
And bonus attack/defense is another dice to attack/defense and not direct +1.
Can't think of any other major mistake you can make. Sometimes it just is bit easy since it's quite luck-based game. Other times you lose frustratingly no matter what you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it can be that easy sometimes. I've had a group get through the entire encounter (skipping the Maggie detour) while still on page 1. Other times, I've gotten a game over on the third tile. It's a little swingy like that, so you probably aren't doing anything wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone - we did everything mentioned. I guess I'll chalk it up to a lucky run. We finished with the hour glass on page two - I'll give chapter 1 another run through to see if my luck changes.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny how different first impressions can be. On our first play, my group got torn up by greedy roaches and we were toast very quickly. The second play through we had a difficult time getting out of the water and -yep- greedy roaches showed up and piled on the cheese again. Finally won it on the third play through by the smallest of margins.

Everyone had a good time but were left wondering if the first chapter was that tough how impossible the others would be. Later we breezed through a later chapter and realized sometimes the game can be easy and sometimes it's really tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me 6 plays to finish chapter 1... Didn't seem easy to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
bdmst16 wrote:
Thanks everyone - we did everything mentioned. I guess I'll chalk it up to a lucky run. We finished with the hour glass on page two - I'll give chapter 1 another run through to see if my luck changes.

Thanks guys!

So only one surge and no captures the entire game? (unless you got some item that let you go back a page) That's nuts and completely unheard of in my home! haha

Did you go to the kitchen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
OneBagTravel wrote:
Skipping Maggie makes the game really easy.

In our one game, it was clear, we didn't even have the option of trying Maggie. "She's on her own!"

We still got completely romped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
krakrs wrote:
bdmst16 wrote:

Thanks guys!

So only one surge and no captures the entire game? (unless you got some item that let you go back a page) That's nuts and completely unheard of in my home! haha

Did you go to the kitchen?

Due to time - we did skip the kitchen. How much difficulty would that have added? I'm more concerned about the minion cheese wheel and that we only had one surge. I don't have the rulebook in-front of me - but are the main ways to increase the minion cheese wheel is through rolling cheeses during combat and not moving to a new tile after the last enemy is killed? My other dungeon crawl game is D&D Ravenloft which absolutely destroys you if you stop moving for one second - so its an odd feeling of being able to take a second and catch my breath in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
OneBagTravel wrote:
Skipping Maggie makes the game really easy.

In our one game, it was clear, we didn't even have the option of trying Maggie. "She's on her own!"

We still got completely romped.

We have never even attempted to help Maggie due to time pressure. It obviously can be done, but in our first several play throughs we said the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

Here is a another common mistake: if you use Colin's "Give Order" ability that mice can not use an ability (like Energy Rush or Battlesqueak), since Colin already used the ability for that turn.

Baring that, it sounds like you did everything correct.

My guess is that you got lucky. The minions probably rolled all bows in melee and defense, and all swords in ranged attacks. What usually happens is if the minions are missing they are rolling cheese, and if they aren't rolling cheese they are hitting causing captures.

I have played through the campaign twice, and I have the had page one or two win a few times, sometimes we just get lucky. I have also lost and won by the closest of margins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
bdmst16 wrote:

Due to time - we did skip the kitchen. How much difficulty would that have added?

Loads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
bdmst16 wrote:

Due to time - we did skip the kitchen. How much difficulty would that have added?

Loads!

A pointer for groups struggling with the Kitchen: (very minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Let the cheese wheel fill and surge before you enter the Kitchen if there is more than 1-2 pieces of cheese when the time comes. You'd much rather a surge occur in the regular dungeon than in the Kitchen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I lost the first game in the water. We had 3 mice washed away and the last one (Tilda) was facing 4 roaches and a Centipede from a surge.

I found out later that I was using the hook and thread incorrectly.

Our most recent attempt, yesterday, we made it to the Kitchen and were facing 6 roaches plus Brodie. Thankfully, with some great rolls from my sons, we managed to come away pretty easily. Only a couple wounds.

A very small spoiler/gameplay tip for how we made it out easily:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had Filch with the Toothpick, which gives an unblockable wound if he rolls a cheese on defense. The boys ended up rolling cheese both time and voila....Brodie gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.