Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Summer games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At last the weather here, in the Netherlands, is getting better. cool

And so I (probably) will spend more time outdoors.

So I was wondering, what games are summer proof and still have a decent game play weight (no dexterity)?

The game has to be:
- windproof (no lightweight components)
- sun proof (no small pictures and text that can not be read in bright sunlight)
- bump proof (garden furniture isn't very stable (at least mine is not))

You know what I mean.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to hear that at least somewhere in Europe spring is coming.
About the games - I haven't played Hive, but it seems like great option. Some other 2 player strategies are suitable for gaming outside, like Chess or something from Gigamic: Quoridor, Pylos, Quixo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
It's nice to hear that at least somewhere in Europe spring is coming.
About the games - I haven't played Hive, but it seems like great option. Some other 2 player strategies are suitable for gaming outside, like Chess or something from Gigamic: Quoridor, Pylos, Quixo.


perhaps I am a bit too excited about those few extra degrees
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Hive is a great choice:


Check out the many pictures on the game page of people playing outside!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rvlieshout wrote:
At last the weather here, in the Netherlands, is getting better. cool

And so I (probably) will spend more time outdoors.

So I was wondering, what games are summer proof and still have a decent game play weight (no dexterity)?

The game has to be:
- windproof (no lightweight components)
- sun proof (no small pictures and text that can not be read in bright sunlight)
- bump proof (garden furniture isn't very stable (at least mine is not))

You know what I mean.

Apparently we live in different Netherlands? It's raining outside, it's dark and there was even some hail a half hour ago...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Trigon (or Blokus) and Tetris Link.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:

Apparently we live in different Netherlands? It's raining outside, it's dark and there was even some hail a half hour ago...


The sun is going to shine eventually, right?

This Sunday no less than a whole day (20 degrees, wow)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle or Qwirkle Cubes

Or maybe a dice game like Bears, Martian Dice, or Fistful of Penguins.

These are all games we've successfully taken camping with no damage or loss of components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLaren
Canada
london
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Ingenious outside several times. it worked well. heavy bits. High colour contrast. and lots of fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop

You can throw the dice in the box cover.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most abstracts, of course. RttA is also pretty good and fairly outdoors-proof.

Raj

Has nice tiles and, once you've played your card each hand, the discard pile is not relevant so you could place the cards back in the box so they don't blow away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:


I thought of that too.

I have had the game in my hands frequently, but I have never bought it eventually.

iadrianik wrote:
Can't Stop

You can throw the dice in the box cover.


Would certainly be a good one.

painkiller wrote:
It's nice to hear that at least somewhere in Europe spring is coming.
About the games - I haven't played Hive, but it seems like great option. Some other 2 player strategies are suitable for gaming outside, like Chess or something from Gigamic: Quoridor, Pylos, Quixo.


I have Hive in my collection, but after the first couple of play times the game is gathering dust in my closet. I have a feeling that might be the case with many abstract games. (That feeling is based on nothing actually...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rvlieshout wrote:
Ruesailmana wrote:

Apparently we live in different Netherlands? It's raining outside, it's dark and there was even some hail a half hour ago...


The sun is going to shine eventually, right?

This Sunday no less than a whole day (20 degrees, wow)


I have difficulty believing that looking outside the window

But, as for the summer games, maybe Pickomino or the old time classics Backgammon, Mahjong or even Tri-Ominos, Rummikub or Scrabble?

Most (fun) games I can think of have cards in it one way or the other. You could try to sleeve the cards for some extra weight and protection or pull up a windscreen in your garden
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.