Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of caution: All of the images here are very crude, and I whipped them up just before I went to sleep last night. Their intention is to prove the concept, not to make anyone go "Wow!".

Inspired by the thread Game based on the 'cube' film franchise - first design, advise please!, I decided to see if I could plot a 3D regular grid of nodes on a 2D plane (a game board).

Oh, and no using "several planes and noting which ones are above which ones". Instead, one 3D grid into one 2D plane.

I decided to use cabinet projection (with angle of 30 degrees), because the distance from the projection plane doesn't distort the size of the objects (and I generally dislike cavalier projection). This enables you to make "node tiles" to place on the nodes.

I also limited the size of the grid to 3x3x3. There's some reaons to that, but perhaps the most important one is that this is the same dimension that a Rubik's cube has. This should make this grid more easily recognisable to the human brain (which is awesome at 2D patterns, but struggles a bit with 3D stuff).

This is the game board:

Some Room tiles (text inspired by the thread I linked). Notice the funky shape of the room tiles. (six corners, two of them 90 degrees, rest 120 degrees. In fact, it's the silhouette of a cube in a cabinet projection with 30 degree angles!)

And also a cool thing in Labyrinth is the fact that the game board can change it's composition. For example with the help of cards like these:

Here's an example game state that could be: There's some room tiles on some nodes and player pawns placed on them:

Is the game state readable?

Now, what do you think? Could you see this usable in someway? Are there any similar solutions that have slipped my mind? How would you redesign this? Would you make some adjustments to something? Any other thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this works fine, for a very limited number of nodes, such as the 27 you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Excellent implementation. I don't think the film in question is worth building a board game around, despite quite liking most of that film personally.

Instead, you need to think about how this might work for modelling movement in a 3d space - flying. This has been a notoriously difficult thing to do in board games for many years. Your implementation here is among the best I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks like a pretty good implementation for showing a 3D environment. I think it could also be expanded along the x and y axises, but any more along the z would make it feel too cluttered. I would also change the colors for each depth to make it easier to track upon a moment's glance.

I'd like to see some art work integrated with it so it doesn't feel so sterile. I understand that this is just a crude idea that you whipped up and am not judging it, just mentioning what I think could be possible down the line if it is developed more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Northburns wrote:

Is the game state readable??

this is worth exploring some more.

bbblaster beat me to the punch... I think some coloring will improve readability.

i also agree with darrell and bbbkaster - as it is, the 27 room setup is on the verge of becoming unreadable. I'm not sure if the addition of rooms with text/icons will make it even worst... you'll have to make a physical prototype to make that judgement.

but, let's try to improve the readability...

How about making the pipes be of different but related colors? a suggestion:

example ...
-- pipes on the ground floor are "brown"
-- pipes on the 2nd floor are red-brown
-- pipes on the top floor are orange-brown

-- pipes on the front are at 60% saturation
-- pipes on the middle are at 80
-- pipes at the back are at 100% saturation

-- and I'd actually just make all the vertical pipes light-gray-scale and almost transparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like this 'impossible' pattern:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! Please make this a CUBE game! Reminds me of my Escher-themed game idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
I quite like this 'impossible' pattern:

Nothing to say. Just wanted a second trip looking at this amazing pattern!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.