BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Core Worlds or Eminent Domain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thinking of getting one of these, but I'm not sure which one to go with. The components look quite good for both games and I like the theme.

Things I'm wondering about are;

Player interaction
Replayability
Strategy options/opportunities
Scalability
Solo variant options if any

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played both of them once, and Core Worlds was a long time ago, so I can't really comment on stuff like replayability. Player interaction, on the other hand - I don't recall seeing any in Core Worlds, other than the race to be the first to get a specific planet. Eminent Domain has more - there is that same race (but this time it's for technology cards, not planets), but every time you select a Role (and you must do this every turn) it affects all players as well, giving them a chance to do something on your turn, not just their own.

Solo variant - I can't see how Eminent could have one. Core Worlds too, but I might be forgetting something.

Edited to add this: When I was done with Core Worlds, I didn't have a particular desire to play it again. Ever. When I finished my first play of Eminent, I almost immediately went to Kickstarter and threw in some money to get me the base game and expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't speak for Eminent Domain - I have it, but not played it yet. Core Worlds is a very good game which is enhanced by the expansion. CW doesn't have much player interaction (yet, but that might change if another expansion is released), but replayability, stategy, and scalability are all very good. The reason is that the core of the game is 5 decks of cards that come into play over the course of the game. Except for the very last deck where all of the cards become available, the cards in the 1st 4 decks are very rarely all available in a game. The reason for this is that the cards available, and on view, depends on the number of players. Don't knoe of any solo variants tho'

Whichever game you finally choose, you should also get the expansion for it - ED has just finished a Kickstarter expansion which will be released late this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find Eminent Domain has very little meaningful interaction between players. That isn't to say that it is a bad game. I'd say that it is a very average game that is easy to learn and is pretty light overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both several times each. I have also taught both games to several people. Core Worlds beats Eminent Domain hands down. There are a wider variety of strategies, and it scales well from 2-5 players. Eminent Domain is comparatively repetitive and is limited to 4 players.

Neither game has much interaction. They are both limited to "I must take that card before my opponent". Eminent Domain has a much more restricted set of cards to go for, with many more duplicates. The Eminent Domain expansion will change this, giving players means to attack one another. This could well be worth waiting for, but it will be ~6 months. I am not going to bother with it myself, because I am unhappy with how repetitive Eminent Domain has become - I am not convinced that it will not remain so, albeit with a couple more actions for players to repeat turn after turn.

I have not yet played with the Core Worlds expansion, but I can see how it adds more strategic options. I think it could add to the duration. Which is possibly a factor: four experienced Eminent Domain players can set-up, play and pack in 40 minutes. The same players attempting Core Worlds take twice that long to finish. It is a bigger game with more complex decisions.

Core Worlds 8/10
Eminent Domain 5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I don't have a problem with a game that lasts 80+ minutes, and it seems that Core Worlds has more strategic possibilites/depth. I might wait and see how EmDo's expnsion changes things, but I think I'm leaning towards Core Worlds.

A friend of mine, who lives 3 hours away has a copy of it, and perhaps we can play it next time I visit my home town. No need to rush into anything.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and play both. I'm also going to throw another option your way.

CW and ED are very different games.

CW is more about managing resources for the optimal round, adapting strategy based on the cards that come out and timing of major actions. The decisions can be agonizing at times and it does a great job of portraying a theme and a feeling of progression. It can get very mathy towards the end and sometimes its rather long for what it is. I do not suggest playing with 5 players. 3 player is best but it works okay with 2. No direct interaction but you do need to watch what the other players are doing to adjust your timing of actions. The deck building is about building the power you need while maximizing the end game bonus points.
The expansion adds more options for focused plans and end game strategies.

ED has less theme over all as the only real art is in the tech cards that make a small, yet important, portion of the cards you'll use. ED plays fast and elegantly for all range of players. There are lots of strategies because of the way the tech cards interact with the ways the rolls interact. While the strategies available are many and different, the game can still feel a little samey. No direct player interaction other than the following of roles that does a good job of keeping everyone engaged. The deck building in this is about building toward a plan and then stripping your deck down to change gears for the next plan and then maybe doing it again.
The expansion will add direct player interaction and a 5th player.

While not sci-fi, you might want to look at Rune Age with the Rune Age: Oath and Anvil expansion. The theme works great and the system uses scenarios. The scenarios range from direct player elimination to cooperative, a race to wealth and even an all verses one. Game play is mostly about building up through the 3 different resource tiers to build the a lean and effective deck. There are also several races that all play differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.