Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8 megapixel pictures of people playing a game doesn't do anyone any good. a image sie of 1024*768 or 800*600 are enough for that purpose. Cutting away the unwanted part surrounding the main object in the picture (also known as cropping) are desireable too.

First download Irfanview here:
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

To resize a picture:
1: open it in Irfanview
2: press ctrl+r
3: in the window choose a resolution under the "some standard dimentions" heading. for instance 1024*768 and click on "ok"

To crop a picture

2: with the mouse, draw a box around the part you want to keep. You can adjust the box by drawing the sides of the box.
3: press ctrl+y

To rotate a picture 90 degrees

2: press L to rotate counter clockwise or R to rotate clockwise

To sharpen an image
2: press shift+s 1 or 2 times - note... no miracles are possible here. It's only to improve a good photo.

To adjust color and darkness
2: press shift+g
3: experiment with the sliders. Prepare co start over a couple of times - this takes some getting used to

Remember to save your work
1: press "s" a "save as" dialog comes up.
2: You can decrease file size by adusting the "save quality" slider in the top right. Don't take it too far to the left. The quality decreases the further to the left the slider goes.
3: type a filename and prees enter

There you have it. It's very fast and easy to improve your pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea to post this. As I said in an earlier thread, I think it's incumbent upon geeks to be responsible enough to at least learn the BASICS of image manipulation before uploading a bunch of pictures to the Geek. If someone has NO CLUE how to crop, change the resolution, or resize an image, they really shouldn't be uploading images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any quick tips for removing (or not getting in the first place) flash glare?
Normal lighting is too dark, so I need the flash, but again, I keep getting glare marks.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Normal lighting is too dark, so I need the flash, but again, I keep getting glare marks.
Thanks.

Take the picture at an angle so the flash bounces of.

Better yet use a couple of lamps, to cast enough light on the target to avoid the flash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anybody else using Olympus Master.

First, open Olympus Master. It automatically loads the pictures from your camera if your camera is attached. Put the pictures onto your hard drive if necessary. Select the picture you want to work with.
Now find the 'Edit' button. Just to annoy you, there are 2 Edit buttons. You want the one in the middle with the picture (the other one is top left and has no picture). Then

To resize a picture
1: Go to Image, and Resize
3: in the window choose a resolution, as close to that desired as it will let you (for example, 1024*766 when 1024*768 is desired and click on "Apply" (bottom right)

To crop a picture
Select Crop. A rectangle appears in the middle of the image. Adjust the rectangle as desired, then click on "Apply" (bottom right)

To rotate a picture 90 degrees
Click on Rotate. You can do this outside of "Edit" if preferred.

There are some more advanced functions in "Edit" which I don't quite get, but play around with them and see what happens.

Remember to save your work
In the edit screen, select Save and use the drop down menu to select Save As.

You may need to move or relabel the image before it shows up in your files.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my graphical guide to irfanview, cropping, resizing, etc. http://mrbass.org/freeware/irfanview

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Korpipaa
Finland
Tupos
Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Thanks.

You can try putting a piece of white paper in front of the flash at a 45-degree angle (directing the flash up or to a side). This usually adds the needed light, but softens the flash and reduces glare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schreyer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DIY Lightbox
Here's another way to diffuse the light a bit, but this is more suited to taking shots of gamepieces and such rather than games as they're set up:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/technique/discuss/7215759419699...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.