Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a casual player who has no plans to play in tournaments (and will be sole game owner for my group) I am curious if buying a second core set is all that valuable in the long term if I plan on buying the expansions? Are people mainly suggesting that even casual players buy 2 core sets because there are not enough expansions out yet?

I don't care about optimizing my decks, in fact I will be building the decks for my friends and we will rotate decks so there is no value in that to me. Creating thematic decks and ensuring the "big characters" come out are concerns to me however. I also want to make sure I have enough cards to build full decks for each (i.e. will the expansions provide enough to have full objective sets).

Sorry if I seem a little confused (I am), I have been avoiding this game but the reviews have piqued my interest so I am trying to get up to speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
You can manage perfectly just using one core set, even with the preset decks.
For me, I bought the second set just to have the same ammunition as the one and only other starwars-lcg player I have in my vicinity.

with the expansions coming up sooner or later (being ffg) I think you don't need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
As a casual player who has no plans to play in tournaments (and will be sole game owner for my group) I am curious if buying a second core set is all that valuable in the long term if I plan on buying the expansions? Are people mainly suggesting that even casual players buy 2 core sets because there are not enough expansions out yet?

I don't care about optimizing my decks, in fact I will be building the decks for my friends and we will rotate decks so there is no value in that to me. Creating thematic decks and ensuring the "big characters" come out are concerns to me however. I also want to make sure I have enough cards to build full decks for each (i.e. will the expansions provide enough to have full objective sets).

Sorry if I seem a little confused (I am), I have been avoiding this game but the reviews have piqued my interest so I am trying to get up to speed.

If you care mostly about dropping the "name" characters, check out the core set and ask yourself if all of the name characters you want are in that set. If not, then buy expansions so you can have them all. If so, then just get two cores so you can have two light and two dark decks built at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is all about deck tweaking. But "ensuring the big characters come out" is also about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:

If you care mostly about dropping the "name" characters, check out the core set and ask yourself if all of the name characters you want are in that set. If not, then buy expansions so you can have them all. If so, then just get two cores so you can have two light and two dark decks built at once.

I thought I could build four decks with just one set? Or do you mean if I want to double up so that the "name" characters come out more often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build 1 deck of each of the main factions (Jedi, Republic, Sith, Imperial) from the core set. It also comes with Smugglers/Spies (Han Solo) and Scum/Villainy (Boba Fett), but as far as complete factions, there isn't enough to make decks for those 2 factions. To use them, you will have to integrate them with the other decks. 1 core set is more than enough to play, and you and your friends will have lots of fun with that because you will be rotating decks.

To make tighter decks, you should go with 2 core sets. You don't have to play in leagues or tournaments to justify or play with solid decks. As well, when you play with a deck constructed from 2 core sets, those big named characters (Luke, Vader) have a better chance of coming out seeing as there is 2 copies now in your deck. Again, 1 set is perfectly fine, and complete. But 2 core sets (there is no need for more) gives you more options for deck building and making solid decks. And the deck building process really isn't that difficult, and it's fun as well trying different options for decks that 1 core set does not provide.

Get yourself a single core set, try it out, see how it goes. If you enjoy the way the game is played, consider my previous points on whether you want to purchase a second core set.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in this game are very thematic and very fun. The core set comes with "Pods" that are, among others, Imperial Troopers, Lots of Tie Fighters, Jedi, Mean Sith Guys, Rebel Fleet, Smaller rebel fighters, there's even an Ewok Pod, and Imperial Endor ATST Walkers. If you only have One Core set, and you make thematic decks, you will have to stray from your theme. If you have TWO core sets, you can really focus the theme of the battles to really play Jedi vs. Sith, Rebel Fighters VS. Tie fighters, The Battle of Endor and the 2nd Death Star, and all kinds of cool scenarios.
Also having twice the likely hood of drawing your awesome Characters and vehicles makes the game way more fun from a thematic perspective, as well as effective competitively.

I feel that two core sets are essential. The game is too much fun not to have two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core set improves the game immensely, it allows all the flavor of each faction to come out. I wouldn't bother with expansions for casual play, except for the deluxe ones.

Definetely a second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd core gets my vote aswell. you improve the decks, and it gives you 4 great ones out of the game instead of slop thrown together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for two Core sets, at least in the current availability that exists. The starter decks versus more consistently built decks with doubled objectives are really two distinct and different experiences.

You can get a pretty good game with a single core and the starter decks, but you get an even better one when you have more solid construction options.

All that said, I agree that if you are approaching this game from a very casual interest level and don't expect to play it frequently that sticking to just the Core Set and Deluxe Expansions is the way to go - the individual force pack releases don't add much per unit and would also cause faction imbalances if you cherry picked the occasional one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Two core sets allows you to get those "big" characters more easily and allso to build more theme bound decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I found a copy at a local FLGS so I can actually test it out with a single core now. After reading the rules and looking at the cards I think I can see the attraction of having the second core set (and expansions), even for a casual player like myself. I am going to test the game out tonight to see if it's as good as the reviews are claiming.

I don't really want to add another game at this point to my collection but a Star Wars game that has great ratings is too hard to resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted my initial thoughts:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11989214#11989214

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.