Subject: Trying to remember the names of childhood games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J P
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Lurking around these forums has made me think of a couple of more games I had when I was younger but just can't put a name to these days. So I figured I'd describe them and see if they ring a bell for anyone else.

Both would have been produced at the latest in the early-mid 1980s. It is pretty likely they are older than that as neither was new when I got them. So early 80s or 70s games.

(1) The first was a GI Joe/Cobra themed game. Not exactly a board game but I suppose it could be called Action/Dexterity based.

Each player had a plastic base/fortress. And the idea of the game was to shoot foam missiles at the other player's base and try to pop cardboard panels off.

The missile launcher was rubber band powered and each foam missile had a rubber tip like a shuttle/badminton cock. Maximum range was around 12-15 feet I think.

When you scored a hit one the enemy one of the cardboard panels would pop up (kind of a mousetrap like mechanism also rubber band powered). I believe there were four panels on each.

It was a great game full of eye poking goodness I've looked online for it but not knowing the actual name I just get swamped by the mountain of GI Joe related results.

(2) This one actually was a board game. I've looked on BGG and the various search engines for it with no luck. The game had a bee theme. And I think the name was bee oriented as well.

Assuming I remember correctly the board was a yellow hex grid. About the same size as a Monopoly board (made of similar material as well). In each of the four corners there was a beehive. The grid was continuous between all four hives for up to 4 players. The decorations surrounding the hex play area were flowers.

The game pieces consisted of tokens with cartoon bee pictures on them. Each piece was numbered (I believe between 1 and 6). One of which was a Queen bee. There may also have been yellow tokens that represented honey but I've looked at a lot of bee themed games searching for it and that part could just be a false memory.

As for the actual game play I don't really know. I never had an actual set of rules. But made up several games to play using the board and pieces.

I know the way I've described it makes it sound like "Buzz Game" but that isn't it. It is certainly possible that it was inspired by Buzz Game (or a knock off variant of it).

Buzz Game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12868

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second game sounds like BUSY BEES by Chad Valley
I see it's not in the database. It was first published in 1922 and features a Hex board. The lines for each hex are printed with a number and at the outer edge of the board are flowers/colored hives that each player must visit.

I submit it to the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.