Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I just picked this up the other day along with the two mini-bosses. The woman behind the counter at the game store turned her head sharply when she heard my sudden and audible "yoink!" as I pulled them rapidly off the shelves upon seeing them.

I'm trying to figure out the videogame analogue for the Cleric.

The first set of heroes is a fairly generic homage to Final Fantasy style characters, the second set is fairly obviously Mario, Princess Peach and Link.

With this I can see Simon Belmont (I don't recall a game where he was also a werewolf, but they've made a lot of them so it's possible I've missed one.) and the Celestial Herald is a gender swapped Kid Icarus.

I can't place the Cleric though. It's possible she's just a generic version of the FF White Mage I suppose.

Does anyone know of anything more likely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I've had a hard time placing an exact inspiration as well, and I think that may be the answer.

While many of the heroes we have are obvious takes on classic video game characters, some of them ARE simply chibi-fied versions of popular fantasy character archetypes. I think the Cleric is one of those, that just happens to resemble a White Mage a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be mistaken but I was pretty sure the Sister of Light was inspired by Crono Crusade:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I can see a loose visual connection to that, but no more than a bunch of other examples that look as equally like the Cleric as she does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it wasn’t just the visual cues that had me thinking Chrono Crusade, but also the flavor text on the back of the Sister of Light stating the Order of Light takes in orphans who have lost loved ones to the creatures of the night and are thus motivated to become champions against evil. That is very similar to the Chrono Crusade story and especially that main character who also looks fairly similar to the art design. Of course it could simply be a coincidence, but considering SPM has on multiple occasions said they draw ideas from both games and anime, it doesn’t seem farfetched to think they would be inspired by an anime that was pretty popular during its run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it resembles Bridget from Guilty Gear personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

I agree it could just be generic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chrono Crusade is a direct influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Kumohara
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Syphia Belnades from Castlevania and Bridget from Guilty Gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.