6 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Just ordered CR, how compatable w/ LOD? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
Hello all,

Been playing LOD for awhile, wife even likes it, so I ordered CR as well.

Should these two games be kept separate experiences or combined? From what I've read and viewed, they both seem appear to be the same mechanics. If there's a FAQ here for this, TIA. Anyone feel they should NOT be combined?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It CAN be done, but I'm not a big fan of it. You can see some interesting pics where some users combined ALL tiles from all games to make one huge dungeon, but it just doesn't really mix well imo. The tiles don't make a whole lot of sense when you do this. There are user made scenarios mixing elements from each game in the files section so you could go for it. But I think the best way to go is to use the campaign rules that link each game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have WoA, and have only had the chance to play it a couple of times. Gonna work on playing it more.
If you've been playing LoD for a while, I assume you've played out all the scenarios that come with it. I'd probably suggest play CR by itself at least a few times, maybe even get through all the CR scenarios at least once. Then, I would most likely go ahead and combine them. Start coming up with interesting scenarios that use bits from both. Remember, just because you combine all the pieces, doesn't mean you have to USE all the pieces every time you play. It should just give you more options.
I assume you've seen that this site has a huge amount of user generated content for the DnD Adventure System. that should help make for some fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three and they can be combined. The gameplay is essentially the same for all three. If you know one the others are picked up very easily.

There are a couple of official scenarios combining the first two that I think are available in the files sections and on the WotC website.

Mixing and matching heroes and monsters between the games is fun.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I aways play all the three games mixed. It's awesome! I can even make some cool dungeons starting from Cr tiles and ending on LoD cavern tiles. . .

Protip: for a full rpg experience, try playing it with monster tokens and treasure tokens too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ravenloft characters are weaker and the quests harder.

The mechanics are pretty much 100% compatible (although the dungeon tiles in Drizzt have a different tile back, a decision I will never agree with or even understand). As others have said, you'll probably want to be measured in how you mix things or you'll end up with a hodgepodge that makes no sense (which may or may not be a problem depending on your tastes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.