Subject: Bigger avatar files rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently if you try to upload an image file larger than 5 mb the system times out before the image is uploaded.

I suggest that there be an uber avatar that allows for larger files for users who put down gg the way there is an uber geekbadge for people who spend gg.

Lets say 15mb.

In fact let's go ahead an allow 15mb files across the board!

Rescinded as it's a bad idea for mobile device users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would one need an avatar file that large?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's pretty, and animated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I suggest that there be an uber avatar that allows for larger files for users who put down gg the way there is an uber geekbadge for people who spend gg.
Lets say 15mb.

I suggest a setting to completely block any avatars above a given size (not just to not display them, but not to download them). A maximum size of 100 kb was set years ago, but never enforced. Not everybody has a internet flat rate; especially not for mobile devices. And even you don't pay extra, there are contracts where your download speed gets ridiculous slow after you used up a given volume (for example, after 50 mb per month)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Werner - large avatars can be quite annoying. Trying to load BGG on my phone is slow as hell already...
And even on my PC, I prefer them simple. I think the point of an avatar is to provide a quick visual cue who the author of a message is. 5 mb isn't that small - I know a few forums that have much tighter restrictions for avatars and I think that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
I suggest a setting to completely block any avatars above a given size (not just to not display them, but not to download them).

I would love to see an option in my account settings that would nuke all avatars above 10 KB. That's plenty large for an image of those dimensions, and should only affect the animated / obnoxious avatars that I don't want dancing around on my page anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even as a animated MB user I might possibly support a limit.

Having a file size max of 5-10MB seems reasonable to me.

Out of curiosity I checked my own file sizes with avatars and came up with the following. My past and current are animated, albeit a simplistic level of animation and a short cycle before starting again.

Current Avatar: 94.7 KB

Previous Avatar: 28.3 KB

I would think a size limit of 5-10MB would still allow for a large degree of individuality to be expressed through an avatar. To be fair however, I have no idea what the average file size of an animated avatar is on the site, or how many people this would force a change upon.

I would want to know how many people/percentage it would affect first.

Based on other comments I was unaware a file size limit of 300KB was already in place.

I misunderstood and thought there was currently no upper limit.

I'm happy with the way it is and where it is set at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now anything larger than 300kb is not allowable.
My new avatar is 193kb.
Given how negatively many users react to even 100+kb avatars I doubt greatly BGG will or should allow avatars larger than 300kb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this site VERY often on a mobile device. However, my data is limited and my phone old and slow to render, which is why I definitely do not want anything approaching even 100 kb. (My animated one is only 36 kb).

When there are large images or animations my phone cannot process them and will crash, which is very frustrating. Not everyone has a high-end mobile device, and especially not in developing countries, where I have just spent several months. So please take that into consideration.

I also pay enough each year to disable ads, because the amount of data they suck up extends well past my data limits. So let's consider a scenario in which three people have 4 MB avatars, a few animated banner ads, a couple of images or even an embedded Youtube video, on a single BGG Geeklist that also defaults to having an image for each entry. You're looking at 20 MB per visit which is HUGE. People with 100 MB limits will be done in 5 visits per month. Some people will load up 15 MB only to have the browser crash, wasting valuable data and time.

So I am firmly in the low filesize camp here.

And seriously, what kind of individuality do you need to express that takes up 5 MB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Right now anything larger than 300kb is not allowable.
My new avatar is 193kb.
Given how negatively many users react to even 100+kb avatars I doubt greatly BGG will or should allow avatars larger than 300kb.

Thank you for the info on this topic.

300KB is enough if that is where it is currently set at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.