Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy Blane came over on a Saturday and we decided to learn GoW. I was surprised at how quick it was to pick up as I was reading the rules out loud and we followed the instructions. I appreciate how the rules go in a nice logical order and give you all the details. But on to the session!

The room tiles came up in this order: 12, 9, 2, 15. For those of you who don't have the tiles memorized by numbers that means we started on the tile with the unending grenade supply and the hole was at the end of the long tile, basically five tiles away. (You can probably guess what is coming). We made our way cautiously at first, getting a feel for the different types of orders, how to attack, and how to read the monster A.I. cards. We picked up on how important the reactions are, as well as getting into cover.

We cleared out the rooms as we went, and we were feeling pretty good by the time we got to the last room. We had three grenades between us (Me being Marcus Fenix, and Blane being Augustus Cole). We didn't have much trouble with the monsters or damage until the last room. We both lobbed our grenades, clearing the area of some Boomers, but failing to close the hole. So began our long walk back.

Blane turned back and made it a whole tile away. Unfortunately for me, he then activated some Drones that managed to get me down to zero cards. So while I tried to avoid death, Blane continued to trudge back to the starting tile. While I danced around Drones and Wretches, Blane grabbed a couple of grenades and tried to heal up as well.

Blane stocks up on grenades while Marty waltzes with the Locusts

I drew a couple of high-movement Orders (Roadie Run, Explore) and so I was able to make my way back to the start tile as well. I picked up two grenades and then the two of us combined orders using the Follow reactions to sprint back to the exit.

Thankfully we sealed the Emergence hole with only one grenade wasted this time. The bad guys swarmed through the door but we were able to fight them off. The details of the battle aren't that interesting but we did get our first win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.