Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Kid Kit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To initiate my kid (7) to those wargames, I choose CCA.

1) The units: For the first battle I only used INF units RED BLUE & AUX (5, 4 & 3 dice) with one leader.
Then each next battle I add a new kind of unit: The BLUE CAV … then another day the GREEN BOWMEN … and for example he is much exited waiting for the next brand new … ELEPHANTS! The most difficult for him (and for me) are the green units because they have many differences inside. So I introduce them very slowly. I always have a few less units than him.

2) The board: clean with no woods no hills nothing. I will introduce some special terrains later.

3) The cards: We do not keep a hand. When his turn, my son pick 2 cards (they are translated in French), show them, read them (good exercice), I explain them, he chose 1 to play and we muck the other. When my turn: I just pick 1 card and play it! We muck away the First Strike.

Very funny.
GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had an eBay copy of the game that's been on the shelf for 3 months. That's a great idea. I think I might try that idea one weekend soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, Guillaume, the fact that you can have fun on an empty battle field makes this one much easier to introduce than the other C&C games.

Beware when you introduce light inf or bows. They are identical (only 1 hex extra range of bows), but the main game mechanic they introduce is evade. Though if you have already introduced it through cavalry, then it will be easier. It is not hard to understand, but definitely hard to use!

Which French translation of the cards are you using? The one I posted here keeps the same format and card title, only changes the text to French (Spanish version too), so that your kid could get familiar with the cards and then switch to the original ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TY guys!

To Miguel : Yes : those are YOUR cards! TY very much for the job: They are great! After having downloaded them, I made them printed on a strong paper (300), cut them and protected them with special pockets usually made for collecting card games like “Magic”!

About the rules for my son: Even if I introduce slowly the units in empty battle boards, I RESPECT THE OFFICIAL RULES and learn him the “evade” and “range” attack etc. That’s the point: Because I apply the real rules of the units and because those rules are various and numerous inside the greens, I introduce them (the greens) category by category and very slowly!

Regards,
GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also made French cards, which are on the GMT site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gustaf montelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play CCA regularly with my 8-year old son. We played with the full rules from the beginning, and after some months he is now capable of giving me a tough match.
But we actually started playing Battlecry as the first easy step, so when I introduced CCA my son was allready familiar with the concept.
So far we have played through ALL the scenarios from the sicilian wars, the pyrrhic wars and both the punic wars that you can find att the CCA homepage. We combine it with reading short passages from history books about Hannibal and Pyrrhus for example. Next week we will start with the persian wars....Love it! (Though I probably will burn for raising my kid to become a nerd...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin -> missed it, sorry.
Gustaf -> great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmontelius wrote:
(Though I probably will burn be blessed for raising my kid to become a nerd geek...)

FTFY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.