6 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: New information on how Tile Placement works rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VideoGamingAt30 .com
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good back and forth with Mercs in update #25 about how tile placement works, and since it just wrapped up and was 5 updates ago, I thought I'd share it here to answer some questions that people have had.
---
Patrick about 20 hours ago

@Mercs I think what Ben is referring to is some random way to determine what tile you lay next is. In the video you mention that you can play it however you want, but why would I want to face a trap instead of fighting a room of monsters or vice versa? Why pick a big tile versus a smaller tile? Why go to the left instead of the right, why setup two corridors that you can go down if you can't backtrack?

From an adventuring perspective, it doesn't make sense to allow the players to dictate what they want to face if they can pick easier paths. Part of the dungeon crawl is not knowing what's around that next corner.
---

Creator MERCS Miniatures about 19 hours ago

@Patrick Ahhh, I see. Yes, these types of setup "rules" are in the book. It is more like a a set of guidelines. There are certain tile requirements in any given Act and Story. Certain tile difficulty levels for tiles in Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3. But we don't tell you how to arrange the tiles.

How does me telling you how to setup the story before you get there allow you to "not know what's around that next corner." It seems quite the opposite to me.

Besides, I didn't set these up how I wanted (except the last tile), the quests I drew told me what I was going to encounter for the first tile. I didn't know what was going to be in the first tile, until I drew the Lucy quest card. Likewise, I didn't know what Trap was going to be in the hallway until I rolled. I knew the that the next tile was going to be a 6 x 6 (square) or a 6 x 4 (hallway) because if it would have been a 12 x 12, it would have been a major room (12 x 24) from the beginning (it is in the setup guidelines). We don't need to worry about you "choosing" easy over difficult because you can't predict what is easy and difficult. Square (6 x 6) rooms are not less dangerous than hallways or large 12 x 12 rooms. Why choose a hallway that only has Traps? One, they don't only have traps, just in this case. Two, succeeding at Traps provide players with Serendipity.

I knew the last tile was going to be a double Lair, but I made it a double Lair tile with the same monster type so you can see how many minions it takes.

---

@Patrick I guess the best I can say is, we intended to make a video of gameplay and during it I tried to answer backer questions if the opportunity arose. There are guidelines for setup. We won't throw you into the deep end with a bunch of miniatures and tiles, then say "have fun."

We provide the bones; quests provide the muscle, you'll provide the aesthetic.

Setup in Myth is very fluid, if you let it be. It is a different game every time (even with the exact same quests). We have NEVER had a tile play the same, ever.

---

Patrick about 19 hours ago

@Mercs That's where the random location generator that Ben was talking about comes in. I picture it as you start at the campfire, and draw a card from a deck to see what tile to lay in front of you. IS it 5x5, 12,x12, a hallway, what? You don't know until you draw the card. So you're not telling us how to set anything up, it's being randomly generated.

Could you go into more detail about how this layout was created? Like, you start at the bar, the quest drugs you and places you on a 5x5 tile, you draw an act quest which I'm assuming places a 12x12 tile that is filled out with the spawn and Lucy, how does the hallway tile generate (you say you're creating the story you want, did you want a trap tile for the serendipity?), and why does it double in size (trap table?)? Then how do you determine that this is the last tile?

I can't express my appreciation enough for all of your direct answers in the comments to not just mine but everyone's questions. You're doing a great job with comment communication.

---

@Patrick That is why I am here.

You have it correct for the most part: the quests, going from the inn, the first tile selection because of Lucy. The hallway, because I wanted to show a Trap and hallways are 100% Trap tiles. The Trap type is what brought in the second hallway, you are correct. The two Lairs on the last tile of Act 1 was determined by the Story quest.

Each Act has a minimum and maximum number of tiles that must/can be played (like I said, guidelines). In this case we had met the minimum (just barely), and needed to make sure the video wasn't too long. It could have been two more tiles maximum, I think.

---

@Mercs Ok, so imaging that this wasn't a demo where you wanted to show traps, that trap tile could have been the trap tile you selected (i'm assuming for purposes of gaining serendipity?), or another room tile (for purposes of gaining treasure?)? Or are there other reasons why you would want to pick one tile over another? I know that larger rooms have the potential to have more treasure, but is there something where you have to have x hallways and x "rooms"? Just trying to get a good feel for how it works without having direct access to your brain

---

So coming back to tile selection.

First, there are guidelines about placing tile types. You can't place same size tiles back to back, unless you do it together. In other words, you just played a 6 x 6. You can't turn around and place another 6 x 6; you would have had to place them together at the start (6 x 12). That means, coming out of a single tile, you will have a choice of the remaining two. It can be as simple as that, if the players want.

If the players need to know more, then each tile specializes in certain things (large=quests/treasure, medium=merchants/gold, small=trap/serendipity) and rewards things differently. In addition, some Acts quests require X hallways, or must finish on a large tile.

If you have watched the most recent videos, you'll quickly know why a double Lair tile is suggested to take place on a large tile. It can't work on a hallway, for one. In a medium tile, the Heroes can't easily get to the Lairs to shut them down. It is extremely difficult. It is Thermopylae, except the Heroes are the Persians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. If anything, it points out that what we (backers and almost-backers) really need is at least a skeleton version of THE RULES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do some quest cards simply state "1 lair", without a preference to a specific enemy type?

Would this be where I would use the stretch goal factions?

I mean, I doubt the base game/quest expansion deck have quests pertaining particularly to Skellys/Elementals/Rats, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbjack wrote:
Thanks for this. If anything, it points out that what we (backers and almost-backers) really need is at least a skeleton version of THE RULES!

Especially we almost-backers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they don't want to show the rules because they're still all written on napkins and the backs of envelopes laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.