Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Images for wrong game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently found a set of three images which do not match the game. The game is "Golf", which is a card game for 2-6 players, using standard cards plus jokers (usually 2 decks or more with jokers, depending on the number of players).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17521

This game is a little bit similar to Rat-A-Tat Cat, if you've ever played that. Each player has a 2x4 grid of cards in front of them (or according to some versions, 2x3). Two of the cards are turned face up. Players take turns drawing from the discard or the draw pile to replace one of their cards. Cards score different values depending on their rank and position, and the player with the lowest score (usually after 9 or 18 rounds) is the winner.

However, three of the images are of "Solitaire Golf" which is a completely different game. It is usually for only one player (though can be played competitively, each player having their own deck) has a 7x5 tableau, in which cards are drawn off onto a single foundation pile. (Several computer versions also exist.)

This Wikipedia article explains the different card games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOLF_%28card_game%29

So, I tried adding a new game to the database for "Solitaire Golf", as a container to move those pictures to, but it was rejected. It was a lovely writeup. cry I also wrote a polished version of "Golf" to better describe it. I submitted that, but I think it was ignored.

Regardless, I think those three pictures for Solitaire Golf are probably wrong in the database. I'm probably being pedantic, am I?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the solitaire version was not accepted as a stand alone, you may just want to add it in the varients for Golf. Image comments could then point out that the pics are for the varient.

Just a thought.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes you feel better, I have been trying to get pictures of completely wrong games switched, but have not been successful in getting any response whatsoever. This includes submissions via the [make corrections] links.

See items 16 and 17 on this list (14 and 15 are related too):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

BGG Admins, if you disagree or require more proof, at least respond so that I can get it for you, please.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
BGG Admins, if you disagree or require more proof, at least respond so that I can get it for you, please.


Maybe you should contact ftola (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/ftola), think he's doing a lot of gamesubmissions and related things. Had some trouble with my submissions last week and he sorted everything out nicely and fast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion, Bas.
I'm messaged him.
Regards,
Keng Ho
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All fixed now!
laugh
Many thanks to ftola for the efficient response.
cool

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps your case any, when I saw those pictures for "Golf" (which I've always played under the name "Polish Poker") my immediate thought was that it was obviously a picture for a completely different game, so either the picture or the name had to be wrong. But then, I'm not sure why BGG has *any* entries for games that are played with a standard deck of playing cards, seeing as how they aren't "marketed" by any particular company, nor are they board games, and I would have expected at least one or the other to be required to be worthy of an entry here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
All fixed now!
laugh
Many thanks to ftola for the efficient response.
cool



thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon wrote:
If it helps your case any, when I saw those pictures for "Golf" (which I've always played under the name "Polish Poker") my immediate thought was that it was obviously a picture for a completely different game, so either the picture or the name had to be wrong. But then, I'm not sure why BGG has *any* entries for games that are played with a standard deck of playing cards, seeing as how they aren't "marketed" by any particular company, nor are they board games, and I would have expected at least one or the other to be required to be worthy of an entry here.


They did stop adding cardgames in the database now, just because there are so many and so many variants. We do have this now: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21804
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:


They did stop adding cardgames in the database now, just because there are so many and so many variants. We do have this now: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21804



Which is a shame. I wish they would keep a comprehensive list like paget does of all card games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.