Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This utilizes rules and pieces from Last Night on Earth, Growing Hunger, Survival of the Fittest, Radioactive Grave Dead Supplement, Advanced Abilities Supplement, Timber Peak, and Blood in the Forest. It also makes use of the motorcycle, tractor, forklift, and truck pieces.

The board sections weren't randomly placed. I tried to make sure there was always a path through the buildings, and I tried to minimize how many spawn pits border the middle sections. There is only one "pinch" point, so adult heroes will hit a dead end in the top left side corner. I also kept Timber Peak and LNoE clumped together, so that the different shading of the squares wouldn't be as distracting (plus it makes sense thematically).

I call this scenario "Zombie Onslaught".

Below is the map configuration I've decided on; it uses all board sections. I decided to make it one huge map, instead of separate connected maps. There will be both "A" and "B" sewers to connect the corners of the map, and I kept the center sections in the middle, so that mobility shouldn't be too bad.

This is intended for 1 zombie player and multiple Hero players. A couple adjustments would be needed for two zombie players.

With 8 heroes and potentially 28 zombies (+ 7 zombie heroes) on the board at one time, the use of "task force" placeholder tokens may be warranted. If a space gets too crowded, drop a numbered token there that corresponds to a mat off the board. Put all the models on that mat.

Zombie Onslaught

Objectives:

Turns: 20
Zombies: Destroy 8 Buildings before Turn 10, or Kill 5 Heroes before sunrise.
Heros: Survive until Dawn
Scenario Search Items: Keys, Gasoline, Emergency Flare

Scenario Notes

-Zombies:
Zombie Horde (28)
Zombie Autospawn
Always Zombie Heroes
Grave Dead - random (infinite spawns)
Zombie Advanced Abilities Start (2 random)
Grave Weapons
Lights Out Choice (1)
Zombie Max Handsize (+1)
Zombie Apocalypse scenario rules, until Sun Tracker reaches 10.

-Heroes:
Heroes Replenish
Exploration Markers, except for "New Hero" (see placement in picture)
Extra Heroes (4)
Heroes Advanced Abilities Start (TP heroes get a starting upgrade, two for Ed the Lumberjack)
Hero Start Cards (2)
Barricades
Well-Stocked Buildings
Survival Decks

1. Zombies start with 14 spawned zombies on the board, instead of rolling for it.

2. When the sun track reaches 10:
a. Zombie Max Handsize (+2), meaning a single zombie player would now have a total of 6 cards (or more, depending on other cards in play).
b. Zombies spawn increases from 1d6 to 2d6.
c. Zombies gain access to champions. Unlimited re-spawns (number on board limited only by the number of models available).
d. Take a copy of "Heavy Rain" from the Zombie discard pile (or deck), and put it into play immediately. This stacks with other copies of "Heavy Rain".
e. The Zombies must immediately spawn one free champion of their choice (no cost is paid). Only one champion is allowed for this, even if multiple zombie players. It may move normally this turn.
f. The Zombies may choose to not destroy buildings via Zombie Apocalypse rules.
g. The Zombies may immediately draw one Zombie Upgrade card (Timber Peak type).
h. The Heroes may now call in Airstrikes, see below.

3. Heroes gain 1 extra experience if they wound a Zombie Champion in melee.

4. Standard Grave Dead rule says only 7 total may be spawned. For this scenario, number of re-spawns is unlimited, but number on board is limited to available models. Use Radioactive Grave Dead zombies to help them stand out from the rest. Grave Dead ability is chosen randomly. If there are 2 zombie players, don't use Grave Dead (to keep an even count).

5. No Scenario Search Items allowed in starting cards, per SotF recommendation. Discard and draw a new one.

6. "Not Much Left" rule (heroes killed by explosions don't become zombie heroes), per SotF recommendation.

7. Start the game with a "New" Fire in a random space of each of the 2 center board sections (the ones with the large squares). These fires will be treated as new fires for the first zombie turn.

8. Timber Peak tweaks to Fire Extinguisher and Heavy Rain, per its rulebook. Fire Extinguisher may be discarded to remove a fire token in the same or adjacent space. Heavy Rain means a fire goes out on a 1 OR 2.

9. New Heroes always start in a random building, never in the center of the board. Forest spaces do NOT count as a "building" for this purpose.

10. There can never be more than 8 heroes on the board at a time. If a card or token is drawn that grants a new hero, discard it and draw a card from the Hero deck, Survival deck, or Unique Items deck. Zombie heroes do not apply to this.

11. Motorcycle rules:
-Starting Location: Road out of Town adjacent to Tavern or Bowling Alley (Hero's choice).
-Single occupancy.
-Hero may end his movement on a space that has the motorcycle, discard gasoline OR keys to activate it and immediately move another 2d6 spaces, even if zombies in that space (no fight occurs).
-May move through buildings, but not sewers. Ignores "Lights Out".
-May attempt to exit a space with zombies, but must first roll a d6 per zombie in the space. On a 1, Hero is knocked off of the motorcycle and movement ends in that space.
-Once motorcycle has been used, it must be "activated" again before another use.
-Does not count as an item or card, and movement cannot be canceled, even by Locked Door.
-Zombies cannot interact with motorcycle in any way, other than knocking the Hero off of it.

12. Tractor rules:
-Starting Location: A space adjacent to the Barn.
-Single occupancy.
-Activated in the same manner as motorcycle, except immediately move another 1d6 spaces.
-May not move through buildings or sewers.
-Hero cannot be knocked off.
-When tractor enters a space with zombies, roll a d6 per zombie. Zombie is crushed and killed on a roll of 5 or 6. No XP is granted for this kill.
-If Hero ends movement in a space with zombies, he must fight as normal.
-Does not count as an item or card, and movement cannot be canceled.
-Zombies cannot interact with tractor in any way.

13. Truck rules:
-Starting Location: Middle space of Timber Peak center board section.
-Single occupancy.
-While in the same space as the truck, all Heroes are IMMUNE to Timber Peak fires. This includes when the Hero enters that space.
-Activated in same manner as tractor, except immediately move 2d3 spaces.
-May not move through buildings or sewers.
-Hero cannot be knocked out.
-When truck enters a space with a zombie, roll a d6 per zombie. Zombie crushed and killed on a 4, 5, or 6. On a 1, when the zombie is killed, it rolls over the hood and through windshield, ending the Hero's movement in that space (also ending further die rolls for crushing). Hero must fight zombies as normal. Truck can still be activated later, as normal.
-Does not count as an item or card, and movement cannot be canceled.
-Zombies cannot interact with truck in any way.

14. Forklift rules:
-Starting Location: Forest space next to the Freezer, bottom left corner.
-Single occupancy.
-Keys/Gasoline not needed to activate; use Move action to move 2 spaces.
-Hero cannot be knocked out.
-When forklift enters a space with one or more zombies, the Hero may choose one to kill on a roll of 2+.
-When movement ends, Hero must fight any zombies there (same as all other vehicles).

15. Zombie Advanced Abilities each cost 5 XP, per updated Flying Frog rules.

16. Exploration markers should be placed in buildings touching the outer edge, and then on L-sections that do not have a marker already, with a bias toward buildings that do not have a "pick-up" ability and that are not touching a center board section.

17. If the Heroes draw a card that allow them to place a sewer, then they may reposition an existing one (the "A's" or the "B's"). Models inside the sewer or on the entrances are not affected (they stay in their current space).

18. Zombie Apocalypse rules:
a. To destroy a building, there must be at least 1 Zombie in every space of that building at the start of the Zombie Fight Heroes phase with no Heroes inside the building. Remove all zombies in the building from the board (return them to the zombie pool) and mark the building as destroyed. This cannot be canceled.
b. To destroy a building that is only one space in size, same conditions as above must hold true, but instead of being automatically destroyed, it is destroyed on a d6 roll of 1.
c. No models (Heroes or Zombies) may move into or be placed in a Destroyed building. Any Zombie spawning pits in the building may no longer be used and any other cards or markers on the building are discarded.
d. Zombies placed during the current turn may not be used to Destroy a building in the Fight Heroes phase (such as models placed with cards like "My God, They've Taken the...").
e. Destroying buildings in this manner becomes optional for the Zombies, once turn 10 starts.

19. Airstrike rules:
a. The Radio Station board (C) and the two forest tiles (D) above and below it may not be the target to roll for a random building, cannot have Heroes placed there, and the Heroes may not Search there. The Radio Station may not be destroyed in any way or Taken Over. The Heroes may not barricade the Radio Station.
b. Starting on Turn 10, the Heroes may call in Airstrikes from the Radio Station. To call an Airstrike, a Hero must be in any space inside the Radio Station, and give up their Move action.
c. Airstrikes may only be called once per Hero turn (i.e. round).
d. The Hero may select any board section, except the Radio Station. Roll for a random building on that board section. That building is now destroyed, and models inside are affected per the Airstrike rules from Flying Frog (buy it!). If a center board was selected, follow the rules per Flying Frog.
e. If an emergency flare was placed on the board, the Hero may instead choose the board section with that flare to be targeted. All models OUTSIDE of buildings on that section are affected, per Flying Frog rules. Then remove all flares from that board section.
f. To place an emergency flare, a Hero must use their Move action to discard the flare item card, to place the marker in their space. Flare markers cannot be affected by Heroes or Zombies.

Marked image for gameplay. Use d20 for random buildings; sewers are marked with letters, and vehicles are circled.

Unmarked image for setup purposes. Game board dimensions: 68" x 31.5".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man this looks amazing. I really want to try it. Have you had a chance to playtest it yet? I'd be curious as to how long it takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to playtest yet. I'm planning at the request of a friend of mine for his bachelor party. He wanted a massive game for up to 8 people, so this is what I've come up with.

My guess is it will take several hours. Maybe 5-6. With a game like this, it really depends on who is playing and how experienced they are and how fast they play. If the humans argue a lot and analyze every possible option (like my family does), it will be grueling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurricanespence wrote:
Man this looks amazing. I really want to try it. Have you had a chance to playtest it yet? I'd be curious as to how long it takes.

Spence, too bad you don't live in VA, man. I'm hoping to playtest this soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Va do you live I am in West va but frequent down to Blacksburg often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you hover the mouse over the flag under a user's avatar, you can see their city/state. I see you're in Shady Spring, for example. I'm in Northern VA, somewhat near to Potomac Mills mall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a test run of this over the weekend. I played as the zombies against 6 other people, who split up the 8 heroes among them. The zombies started with 13 on the board, and I randomly got the Carrier Grave Dead, which are brutal. Unfortunately, in 4 wounds dealt by the carriers, none resulted in an instant hero death (requires roll of 5 or 6).

I had an early jump on the heroes, but they quickly consolidated, barricaded, and searched like crazy. Between the experience they were gaining and the items they were pulling, it wasn't long before they were a bunch of juggernauts. I managed to kill one by turn 10, at which point we ended them game.

I've made some tweaks to the rules, and I think I might make further, like adding an alternate win condition for the zombies of destroying 12 buildings or something. That would force the heroes to be a little more aggressive early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tweaked the rules some more after further review. I also added an alternate win condition for the zombies, but they have to be quick before it expires! Uses Zombie Apocalypse scenario rules.

Actually, the intention is to allow the zombie player to target key buildings to remove from play for the rest of the game. But if the Heroes aren't careful, the zombie player will win outright!

I also updated the picture to show placement of exploration markers (remove the "New Hero marker), vehicles, and sewers. If you can't see it, then it's probably not been approved by GeekMod yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schomburg
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome. I am going to try this soon.

How do you do rolling for random placement with multiple center boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a game report soon, but we the revised version (with Zombie Apocalypse the first 10 turns) was a great challenge and accomplished exactly what I hoped.

I used a d20 to roll for random board sections, ignoring any roll greater than 14. For this scenario, we did not allow "Hero's/Zombie's choice". We also forced new heroes to always spawn in a random building, and not in the middle of the board.

Before the game started, we took a picture of the board, printed it out on paper, and then used a marker to label each board section 1 to 14, to help us with rolling.

For placing the random fires in the center board sections, we used a d10, ignoring a roll of 10.

If you only have d6's, like I did with my first game, then I suggest you do what we did and when you have more than 6 options, split them in half. A d6 roll of an odd number is one half, even number is the other half. Keep doing this until you're down to 6 or fewer options. It's clunky, however, which is why I went out and got the D&D dice for the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schomburg
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the report as I plan to run this soon and want to avoid any pit falls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, I can't believe I let this go with no report! It's been a while now, but here's what I remember.

We had 7 people: 1 zombie player (an veteran LNoE player) and 6 human players (two controlled two heroes each).

First 10 turns, Heroes are on the edge of their seats as the zombies tear through town, destroying buildings. The zombies are ONE building away from winning, but the Heroes manage to delay them for two whole turns (with liberal exploitation of zombie hunger), to make it to turn 10 and survive that zombie objective.

At one point, two heroes were in the truck, whomping over zombies in the middle of the board, kind of like a steamroller. Good times.

The sun tracker got down to 8, at which point the zombie player conceded. The Heroes were fully on the run, and he had only killed one hero. We had also been going for about 8 hours (we had two new players, and turns were slow).

This was a good learning experience, and I'll be making some tweaks to make it harder for the humans for the second half of the game. I'll also incorporate rules and components from Blood in the Forest. Can we say, "Zombie Champions"?! devil zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, some rules updated, and others added. I'll see about updating the board layout soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I finally got around to adding the Blood in the Forest board sections! I also added the forklift as another vehicle, because, why not?

I thought about leaving out the Radio Station board and two extra forest boards at first, but then it occurred to me to incorporate Airstrike rules, so here you go! If you don't want Airstrikes, or just want a smaller board, I'd say just drop those three sections.

The forklift's starting position is deliberate, because otherwise, no Hero in their right mind would go into that dead end. To make it more enticing, the forklift does not require anything to activate; you just need a Move action for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ryabov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work
When are you planning to playtest this scenario?
I am interested in the result as I have plans to make a big game for my playing group (with all zombies and 1 person controlling 1 hero)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding people with enough time to play test it is my challenge. Everyone in my group is married with young kids. Hard to get 8 hours available that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the kind of thing I would like to see run at a convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I like having the tree board in the middle, to block line of sight for snipers using the rifle or hunting rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the premise and all the energy and thought that went into your endeavor.

I'm a wargamer, and my favorite wargames are the monsters, particularly those that are 4 maps or larger in size. (To the other wargamers here, I'm referring to Fire in the East, Terrible Swift Sword, La Bataille de la Moskowa, and the like.)

This is a LNOE version of those monster games.zombie I own only one expansion, Blood in the Forest, to go with my base game, but am getting Timber Peak soon, and have considered doing a project similar to yours.

Best of luck with your project and please keep us posted.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan Ryabov wrote:
Awesome work
When are you planning to playtest this scenario?
I am interested in the result as I have plans to make a big game for my playing group (with all zombies and 1 person controlling 1 hero)

That sounds like a cool idea. You can almost feel the creepiness in that scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.