United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
If I plan on sitting down for a 2-3 hour session of Myth, will the 15 orc and 15 arachnid minions be enough? If I buy the rat-pack (so to speak!), will 10 rat minions and 2 rat captains be enough?

In the videos, there are often massive swarms of the buggers on the board, how often have the designers and playtesters run out of minis?

I ask for confirmation, because under the comments of update 30, the mercs folks recommend buying two ratpacks. At $30 a pop, I'm really not interested in getting two sets of the rat-deck (the second one presumably being useless) and two sets of rat captains (the second set presumably not making an appearance in the game) just to get enough minions to play.

I would happily pay a little bit more if the add-on would allow me to play against rats in the game - but I'm getting the impression that a single ratpack is not enough to actually play. Would 15 rat minions and 2 rat captains (the distribution we see in the darkness minis of the base game) be enough? The current distribution of minions at the Captain level seems to suggest the sweetspot is about 15-16 minions?

So while I appreciate the minions add ons, I assume those are for hobbyists/RPGers/Table top wargamers (as these are going to be very high quality pieces), and are not really necessary to play the game?

Again, I'm delighted to throw tons of money at y'all, no hesitation there, but I would like to know what's an advisable minimum to play the game with all the available darkness foes? An extra rat pack just to get 6 rat minions would be a bummer. Thanks heaps in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question that merit a clear answer.

But, I just can't hink of them giving a base game where you don't have enough minis...that would be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have stated several times that the base game is enough to play all the way through with plenty of variety. The only thing limited would be the ability to do a double lair room of the same minion type. (At the base game number of 15)

Now,... With the captain pledge @ $100, you'd get more minions, captains, mini bosses,... Then there are skeletons,.. Potential skeleton boss, and more.

One thing that has been pointed out is that different monsters have different starting numbers and spawn levels and thereby require less to support a single lair (e.g. Nids start with 6, orcs with 5). They have stated that skeletons also require less models per lair ( we don't know the dynamics of elementals or rats yet, so we are waiting on more information there)

I don't have all the answers, but I hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think his question is not does he need Rats to enjoy the game, but rather, how many Rats does he need to enjoy Rats in the game. If you only have 10 minions, are you going to be short minions on a regular basis?

Which I'd like to know as well... as he said, it's going to take nearly as much as a Captain pledge ($90) to get the stated ideal number of minions (30) and that's assuming Rats spawn at six. They are, after all, rats... so it's not impossible they spawn higher than that.

Regardless, I'd like to know as well, because although I like to see more stuff, after my initial excitement, my thought was "I'm not going to be owning Rats, apparently."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually we'll offer the rats as an expansion, but people have clearly wanted them. We are offering backers a chance to get them early.

You don't need rats to play the game. You can buy them or not. I really don't know how to respond to this. It doesn't change the core game one iota. There are no quests in the game that require rats. There is nothing that will happen in the base game that will require you to buy more than you are getting already. However, when an event card spawns minions and captains, it would spawn rats so you will absolutely use the captains.

If you want the rats, buy them. You asked me, if I were to buy rats, how many would I buy. I said two sets. You can do plenty with 1 set.

As to the extra Captains not being used. I have no idea where you are getting your information. If you watched the extended play video, we could have easily have had 4 Captains out on the first tile, but got lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
Eventually we'll offer the rats as an expansion, but people have clearly wanted them. We are offering backers a chance to get them early.

You don't need rats to play the game. You can buy them or not. I really don't know how to respond to this. It doesn't change the core game one iota. There are no quests in the game that require rats. There is nothing that will happen in the base game that will require you to buy more than you are getting already. However, when an event card spawns minions and captains, it would spawn rats so you will absolutely use the captains.

If you want the rats, buy them. You asked me, if I were to buy rats, how many would I buy. I said two sets. You can do plenty with 1 set.

As to the extra Captains not being used. I have no idea where you are getting your information. If you watched the extended play video, we could have easily have had 4 Captains out on the first tile, but got lucky.

Hi Brian, I think the question people are still asking is just: are 10 rats + 2 captains enough to run one spawn point, and are 20 rats + 4 captains enough to run two spawn points?

If they start off at a lower number, and spawn fewer minions than the arachnids, I imagine those numbers might be plenty. But I think that's what people are wondering about the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

Hi Brian, I think the question people are still asking is just: are 10 rats + 2 captains enough to run one spawn point, and are 20 rats + 4 captains enough to run two spawn points?

If they start off at a lower number, and spawn fewer minions than the arachnids, I imagine those numbers might be plenty. But I think that's what people are wondering about the most.

Well, why didn't they just ask that?

The answer is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
BShotton wrote:
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

The answer is yes.

Could you tell us how many minions & captains you need for each minion class, for 1 and 2 spawn points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CRennie wrote:
BShotton wrote:
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

The answer is yes.

Could you tell us how many minions & captains you need for each minion class, for 1 and 2 spawn points?

Now, I am going to make some assumptions here, that you'll have to make with me. First, the Heroes are actively trying to kill. Second, the Heroes will succeed more than fail.

If we can agree on these assumptions, here is the breakdown:

Arachnids 1 Lair = 15 Minions + 2 Captains, 2 Lairs = 30 Minions + 4 Captains

Orcs 1 Lair = 12 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 24 Minion + 4 Captains

Skeletons 1 Lair = 10 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 20 Minions + 4 Captains

Elementals 1 Lair = 6 Minions + 2 Captain, 12 Minions + 4 Captains

Rats 1 Lair = 10 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 20 Minions + 4 Captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
BShotton wrote:
CRennie wrote:
BShotton wrote:
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

The answer is yes.

Now, I am going to make some assumptions here, that you'll have to make with me. First, the Heroes are actively trying to kill. Second, the Heroes will succeed more than fail.

If we can agree on these assumptions, here is the breakdown:

Arachnids 1 Lair = 15 Minions + 2 Captains, 2 Lairs = 30 Minions + 4 Captains

Orcs 1 Lair = 12 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 24 Minion + 4 Captains

Skeletons 1 Lair = 10 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 20 Minions + 4 Captains

Elementals 1 Lair = 6 Minions + 2 Captain, 12 Minions + 4 Captains

Rats 1 Lair = 10 Minions + 2 Captain, 2 Lairs = 20 Minions + 4 Captains

Thanks Brian, been wondering about this for some time, that's very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the great communication from the MERCS guys (Brian especially). But the information we now have, does beg at least one other question.

How do we reconcile the statement that two captains are sufficient for a single lair, with the mention of nearly needing four on the first tile of the extended gameplay video (containing a single lair)?

Alternatively, I guess the question could be - does the game have a mechanism to cope with a requirement for more minis than are available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
difisher wrote:
How do we reconcile the statement that two captains are sufficient for a single lair, with the mention of nearly needing four on the first tile of the extended gameplay video (containing a single lair)?

There will always be a possibility of crazy spawns that deplete your available minis, unless you're going to get, like, five sets of everything. I think the point of the "sweet spots" they've given is that those instances are going to be rare enough that it's not worth buying more minis just to cover those few instances.

I am interested in what the official rule for running out of minis is. Personally I would just proxy them with something else. Dice, another race's minis, whatever. The game probably won't last much longer anyways, if there are that many minions on the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
difisher wrote:

There will always be a possibility of crazy spawns that deplete your available minis, unless you're going to get, like, five sets of everything. I think the point of the "sweet spots" they've given is that those instances are going to be rare enough that it's not worth buying more minis just to cover those few instances.

I am interested in what the official rule for running out of minis is. Personally I would just proxy them with something else. Dice, another race's minis, whatever. The game probably won't last much longer anyways, if there are that many minions on the board!

+1 to that,..... uncommon event,... proxy them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
difisher wrote:

This.

Since we're getting 3 races for sure, with a very high likelyhood for 4 (or 5, if you choose to buy the rats) - you'll always have at least one unused set of minis.
In the rare occasion you run out of minis - use the ones from the remaining race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any rat lair in the works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
BShotton wrote:
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

The answer is yes.

Haha! Because that would have required me to watch the videos! I'm afraid I space out after 30 seconds when plunked down in front of youtube, and am absolutely unable to watch videos about games and retain any useful info! I've never understood why folks clamor for videos about games when there's plenty of great written tutorials, reviews, etc. I reckon I'm a reader, not a watcher.

But I also know you guys are ridiculously on top of our questions, so I figured I'd exploit that just a wee bit. In case there were any other readers-not-watchers out there. Thanks heaps for the reply.

I'm still not entirely clear on how many lairs spawn per tile, and how the lair-to-minion thing works exactly (do all 15 arachnid minions pour out the moment the lair appears, or can heroes thin them out as they come out?), but you know what, that's not important! What's important is that the rats are too cool to pass up, so I'm in for the add on.

So there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each minion's "monster card" has the stats that show how many minions start with the lair, and also includes the guide for how they behave and attack. The boss deck that you are using (only one in the base game) details how monsters spawn,... That triggers based on Action Points spent by the heroes,.. Once the heroes use 6 AP, you draw a card from the darkness/boss deck,... And follow the guidelines,.. Depending upon the situations described on the card, minions and/or captains spawn from the lairs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to lairs per tile,.... There are guidelines in the rule book that you must follow for each act,... Then the quest cards add their goals,... Traps are rolled for, etc,.... Each tile is said to have markings that indicate how many lairs they are designed to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo all,

I'm at captain level. I'm trying to work out how many minions we currently get, so judge whether to get any addons when the pledge manager opens.

Anyone already know what that list is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
Yo all,

I'm at captain level. I'm trying to work out how many minions we currently get, so judge whether to get any addons when the pledge manager opens.

I think that the minions that we get with the KS are probably enough. If you want to run dual lairs on the same tile, then you may want more. But personally I'm just sticking with what we get for now to stop myself being overloaded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
Yo all,

The ridiculously big graphic has a summary.

Captain gets the following figures:
Arachnid Minions 21
Orc Minions 21
Skeleton Minions 22
Elemental Minions 116
Rat Minions 16
Cyclops Minions 10
Arachnid Captains 4
Orc Captains 4
Skeleton Captains 4
Elemental Captainns 4
Rat Captains 4
Cyclops Captains 2
Skeleton Mini Boss
Razorfiend
ROUS
Minotaur
Conner
Arachnid Boss
Skeleton Boss
Orc Boss
Rat Boss
Cyclops Boss
Firedrake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta dude,

I did my own count and only had 16 skeletons. Your link didnt work for me either FYI. But did i miss another 6 to hit 22 of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
Ta dude,

I did my own count and only had 16 skeletons. Your link didnt work for me either FYI. But did i miss another 6 to hit 22 of them?

Which is wierd. But then links from BGG posts are acquiring a steady list of things that don't work [c.f. being unable to embed links to Kickstarter comments] though this time I'd missed off the first letter, and it should work now.

You should be able to get to it by clicking the brown box marked Pledge Level Tally on the front page of the Myth Kickstarter.

I see Skeleton Minions for Captain as follows
50K SG - 10
125K SG - 6
375K SG - 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Dlthorpe wrote:
Yo all,

The ridiculously big graphic has a summary.

Captain gets the following figures:
Arachnid Minions 21
Orc Minions 21
Skeleton Minions 22
Elemental Minions 116
Rat Minions 16
Cyclops Minions 10
Arachnid Captains 4
Orc Captains 4
Skeleton Captains 4
Elemental Captainns 4
Rat Captains 4
Cyclops Captains 2
Skeleton Mini Boss
Razorfiend
ROUS
Minotaur
Conner
Arachnid Boss
Skeleton Boss
Orc Boss
Rat Boss
Cyclops Boss
Firedrake

Small typo on the Elementals
Should be:

Arachnids 21
Orcs 21
Skeletons 22
Elementals 16
Rats 16
Cyclops 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.