Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow is our first regionals here in Atlanta. I'm excited, nervous and expect to place high. hehe.

A lot of what I'm thinking and going through this week reminds me of my first chess tournament. I was so nervous I couldn't move a piece without shaking. I won't be nearly as nervous this go around - 13 years maturity may help. But some nervousness remains...

In chess, the board remains the same and though openings change there are some ways to develop the game into a style that you prefer - even if inferior than the 'book play' its of getting your opponent to play on your terms. In poker, I found I was able to do the same. Learn the play style after much observation then develop my play around others weakness. In Netrunner you make a lot of assumptions when you see a faction go down. Those assumptions affect your play. ... so what's the difference?

In Netrunner, I don't know that I'm able to exert that same style of control. The cards will dictate my play - and I mostly mean my opponents =) The real problem is the hidden information and only one game, that we don't have time to carefully assess a situation.

This all makes it very tough on my personality type. Since I can't go into the game with a strategy in mind (not in control), it means the game will offer more variables than I tend to enjoy (before hand). I'm okay with lots of tactical calculations in game(counting credits to go down unknown ICE, anticipating the affects of an unknown trap etc). But I'm not talking about in game... this post is about the night before.

And I'm going to sleep nervous. =)

**I hope to post some thoughts on my in game play/nerves etc and then later after I've analyzed everything give some input on post game strategies.

Happy Hacking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teky Teky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good luck!

What a shame I live in the other edge of the continent would love to assist to a tournament...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could come over and beat me mercilessly. That will help.your nerves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring a chocolate bar. Seriously, tournaments can go for a while with no break for food, and you'll start playing poorly if your blood sugar drops low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Bring a chocolate bar. Seriously, tournaments can go for a while with no break for food, and you'll start playing poorly if your blood sugar drops low.

I'll attest to this. Our local tournaments run about 5+ hours, no breaks. Definitely bring a snack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to call ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, its still just a game. Youre not playing for your life, or any big monetary award, just for pride and maybe an alternate art prize card. Thats whats great about gaming, no need to be nervous because if things go poorly, it doesnt actually impact your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.