Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a fan of old GW games, so when I discovered this previously unknown (to me) little game today on the 'Geek I immediately downloaded the rules and graphics, printed it out, mounted the components on card and gave it a whirl. Since I already have a fully painted squad from the old Advanced Space Crusade game I had myself a complete game by this evening.

I just then finished a solo run through and was surprised to find it very entertaining! Even played solo. The theme is great and there really is a strong feeling of stumbling through the jungle as the members of your squad get picked off one by one. I had the heavy weapons scout bringing up the rear, desperately fending off the Lurkers until he was finally isolated and overwhelmed. It's very satisfying when the marines get far enough ahead of a bunch of Lurkers to have the jungle swallow them up again (ie the tiles are discarded), or you suddenly double back to another path and spoil their impending ambush (hey, that even worked playing solo!) In the end, after several solitary battles, the sergeant managed to reach the drop pod but he was killed by a final Lurker ambush. In classic GW style it was down to the last dice roll! Almost ... made ... it!

Looking forward to give this a run with an opponent tomorrow evening - it should be a good laugh. I highly recommend checking Lost Patrol out, it really does seem to be a forgotten gem and I'm glad to have found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Universal, glad to hear you had fun with it. It's a tricky prospect for the Space Marines, but that's all part of the challenge! Wouldn't be fun if it was easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jake

Played two games last night and it was a hoot - the patrol has yet to make it out, but once again the sergeant made it to the dropship and was only killed due to ye olde classic last-dice-roll-on-which-the-entire-game-hinges not going his way. Nice work with this little game, it's quick, fun and yet feels like there are strategies to explore.

I uploaded a couple of pics of our game. Figures are from my Advanced Space Crusade set, which I painted up long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.