Popular Tags: [View All]
Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, I know, yet another expansion-help post. But this one is a little different; Because I don't want Dunwich Horror (because it looks ugly).

So I'm planning on buying only the base game + 40€ in expansions (i.e. one big box or two smaller ones).

The choice is yours;
Option A: Innsmouth
Option B: King in Yellow(?) + _________
Option C: ____________ + _________

I am looking for beauty (which is why I dislike DH's ugly board) and gameplay choices (for me the game is too random as it is. I want choice)

Thanks! **
Quote:

UPDATE: I don't care about investigators, monsters or difficulty.

I'm mostly worried that there aren't enough location stories ( don't wanna read the same shop encounter 30 times and crave story diversity ).
Personal stories & teamwork stories therefore interest me more, especially if they add choice. So in one word; I'm looking for a maximum in variety. Perhaps then, the GOOs of Kingsport are more interesting and strategic than those in Innsmouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Option A: Innsmouth (more investigators, GOOs and whatnot)
Option B: Lurker in the Threshold (there are choices to do pacts) + King in Yellow (to advance the play or hold it at a dire cost?)

But you also should consider Dunwich. You just can choose to not use the board and the cards that goes with. But the investigators, GOOs, Madness and Injury cards, are all pretty useful.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got goat in the woods and king in yellow for christmas. I turned out a little frustrating since I like to play with one new expansion at a time to get a feel for them. Since then, however, I have found them both GREAT. They do, on the other hand, use rules introduced in other expansions - but I think they may be explained.

I have't played with Innsmouth, but I have both Dunwich and Kingsport. I find Dunwich not too bad, but we never play with the Horror since he is so easily avoided and kinda silly. It does introduce some very good rules, though. I am not sure if the other rule books cover them all.

I personally would suggest after all this ranting getting Innsmouth. It will add new ancient ones, new investigators, new cards and new monsters... which is what you want; more choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Innsmouth...yet. I have it tied up in a pre-order, though, so I should be getting it soon. I do have Dunwich, King in Yellow, and Lurker.

My advice is to get Innsmouth. I hear it makes the game HARD if you play with that board, but of course that's not required anyway (I have only played with the Dunwich board once so far, and never even got to visit the town that game. Been happily enjoying the other components). However, I personally feel, based on my experience with Dunwich and the two small expansions I own, that the big box expansions are better designed to be used every games. The smaller expansions, especially KiY, feel very flavorful, but if you play with them, that expansion needs to be the focus of the game. Therefore, I find the big expansions to be more flexible and modular.

This is less of a problem with Lurker, and it has those awesome Relationship cards, so if you DO get a couple small expansions, definitely include that one. I have no advice on the other one, since all I currently have is King in Yellow. The KiY herald is great because the rules are simple but you can definitely feel his presence in the game, but all of the location cards and mythos cards for KiY (which I would prefer to keep in the game all the time) feel too specific to the events of the expansion. I think this is SLIGHTLY less of an issue with the revised Dark Pharaoh, based on checking out the cards in the Wiki (it looks like some Location cards reference the Egyptian stuff, but many make broader references to Lovecraft's work), plus it comes with these dual-color Gate cards that are a must-have in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich ugly or not is to get the madness-injury cards. They add alot to the game and they prepare you for the increase in difficulty that comes from expanding and picking AO´s that give you a hard time.

With the small expansions, then any of them are good really. I play alot of 2 investigator games with only two when I use only one expansion (I even sort monsters).

With the small boxes, you get alot when you only use one. You get less when you use two at once, but you still have more variety in equipment and things like that.

I really love Innsmouth, but I play it with Madness-Injury cards in every game. In fact this then my opinion is that this mechanism adds more to the game then anything else. So I would go with the ugly Dunwich and then expand with a small expansion for a thematic experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't go with Innsmouth to start off with immediately. I don't have any good suggestions about "gameplay choices," because every expansion has random elements added to the game. The only gameplay choices end up being "which horrible thing needs preventing the most?" That really starts kicking in when you start using a bunch of expansions together. "Do I go to Kingsport to deal with that rift track, or do I head to Innsmouth to prevent those dudes from jumping into the vortex?" That sort of thing.

Have you considered starting off with Kingsport? It's a nice looking board and the rift mechanic adds choices to make, namely when to go down to start taking care of the rift track. It's still random, of course, but you can calculate the probability of a rift opening next turn, or the next two turns, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My question would be, how much do you want to increase the difficulty? Dunwich will increase the difficulty moderately. King in Yellow will increase it quite a bit, if only using that expansion. Innsmouth will pound you into the dirt and stomp on the pieces.

Really, I would only get Innsmouth if you already have other expansions. It has (imho) the greatest increase in difficulty and doesn't give you much, if anything, to help mitigate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not A. Innsmouth is not a good first expansion.

IMO, if you wanted two small-boxes, you should get any two except Black Goat, and you shouldn't get both King in Yellow and Curse of the Dark Pharaoh together because of the lack of gate bursts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.

If you're most interested in increasing the size of your location decks, here are your answers:

1) Big box: Dunwich (7 per neighborhood!).
2) Two small boxes: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (5 per neighborhood) + any other small expansion (4 per neighborhood).

Avoid:
Innsmouth. No new items, skills, spells, or allies.
Miskatonic. It's designed to expand the expansions you already have. Great for variety, but not if you own only the base game.

Innsmouth's personal stories are good, but Dunwich and Kingsport each have their own fun new injection (Injury/Madness and Epic Battle, respectively). Lurker has the Relationship cards and new gate tokens, too.

Dunwich and Kingsport add the most "variety" overall because they have Investigators, AOs, heralds, guardians, items, skills, allies... all that. Innsmouth has as many new AOs as Dunwich and Kingsport combined, but I feel like two or three aren't all that interesting, while ALL of DH's and KH's AOs are interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.