Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would google the answer to this... but alas... angry

The computer I am currently working on, if you search anything in Google it comes up the regular results.

If you thne click any of the results, you get redirected to a stupid subject based website.

It is clearly a virus of some sorts. We had a similar situation on a computer at my old job... the common factor - a coupon based program.

My question is this: Malware Bytes should just take care of this.. right?

This happens in IE, Firefox, Chrome... everything.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a virus like the one you describe. It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that I used a combination of TDDSKiller and Combofix to actually get rid of it. Malwarebytes didn't find anything before or after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combofix is usually pretty good for removing browser hijackers (which is what you seem to have).

The problem is that it will likely be impossible to download it from the infected machine. Ideally, download it on another machine and put it on a portable drive (usb or some such) and reboot the infected machine in safe mode with networking disabled. Load in combofix (and whatever other software you might find) from the usb drive and run it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Combofix, malwarebytes, and Super Anti-Spyware. Run all three. Is this an XP machine or Windows 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Combofix, malwarebytes, and Super Anti-Spyware. Run all three. Is this an XP machine or Windows 7?

I think it is XP...

The problem is that at work I cannot search for the files.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in the future, download NoScript add on for Firefox, if it happens again at least you can get a usable internet connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
You don't have an IT department at work to take care of this?

My current project is up in July....just saying.

The computer is at a church.

The IT department is "a guy who knows stuff."

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get a linux live cd, download the files to your computer with that and then run them on windows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.