Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking at the pictures:

1)The map has been redone. No islands, there is a single Quest area in the middle rather than 2 (1 North one South) Probably some other changes as well.

2)They fired the dog they were using to chew the pieces in the first editionmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I don't own the game yet, but I read this at the official forum.
As already said the map changed. The Wastelands merged into one, with a new location(oracle if i remember correctly ), each race has an own set of spells(Like the Amazons or Necros). Now spells cost mana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johannessen
Canada
Out of town
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I noticed the start of a discussion goin' on here. Mind if I join in?

What's new in the second edition of Quest for the DragonLords?
The gameboard has been completely redesigned to bring the adventure element of the game to the forefront. The wastelands are now in the centre of the action. A major change to the game concerns quest activity. Their is much more interaction between players with the use of prophecy cards and Companion cards (Heroes). Heroes may be obtained at the villages that can greatly affect the success of a quest party. Prophecies are messages from the gods that can be obtained at the Oracles. Prophecy cards allow other players to turn heroes against members of their own quest party as well as give clues as to where treasures or other valuable items may be found.

We have made Scroll cards much easier to get, but we have decreased the strength. We have also removed the restrictions placed on using the scroll cards. You do not have to have a spellcaster (now referred to as commanders) in the territory to cast them. Mana is now required for Wizards to cast spells. We have assigned different spells to each civilization that harness the power of the land that the specific civilization draws their strength. For instance, the Dwarves may cause earthquakes in mountainous territories, Elves may awaken trees to attack enemy units and the Barbarians may harness the strength of the sea. So you must be aware of the terrain that surrounds the Kingdom you choose.

We have introduced Treasure cards so that it is not necessary to consult the rulebook to discover the power of the various treasures. Treasures are now based on artifacts found in Norse Mythology. So treasures such as the Holy Grail and the Excalibre sword exist no longer in this world.

One element that the geek either loved or hated with the first edition was the power of the DragonLord commanders. We have maintained the power of the DLord as this is the tool that draws the game to a close. Without these units a game could last for days as opposed to hours. Each player may only have 1 DLord at any one time. (There are many optional rules regarding DLords, so that players can set the power level of these demi-gods to a style that the group is comfortable with.) Also note, that to gain a DLord it is not just a matter of luck. It is earsier to gain a DLord, but it also easy to lose a DLord. It is now possible to set traps for maurading DLords, through the use of a treasure called the Dark Crystal. The Dark Cystal will cause a Dragon to get lost when teleporting and forever trap them in a Nexus along with all units teleporting with them.

Naval blockades are now a necessary precaution to protect realms from invasion by sea. So we have removed the DragonLord Fire Attack from the arsenal of the DLords. We have also reduced the amount of resources available. The amount of gold that can be gained through conquest or quests has been reduced.

All in all, we have been listening to the comments placed on the BBG and have made the appopriate modifications to the gameplay. Since we are also more experienced with the manufacturing process of games, you will find that the second edition is simply beautiful to look upon. We are very proud of the artwork provided by Peter Wolf, Nick Dachris and Sam Yip.
We hope that the fans of QftD will forgive us, as we did not introduce any more expansions or new units for the Advanced game system last year. All of our resources and efforts were focused on making our new release the best that it can be. Much time was also spent publishing the game in German, French and Greek.
We have received many queries as to whether the second edition is compatible with the previous expansions. With the introduction of mana, it is necessary for new Reference Cards for the Amazons and Necromancers armies found in the Crystal of Power expansion. The new reference cards will include a mana scale for your civilization as well as the cost in mana to cast spells. We will post these for you to download here very shortly. The Advanced game expansion was designed while the second edition was in the works and can be played with no addendums.

We hope you enjoy the second edition of Quest for the DragonLords - The Fantasy Game of Adventure and World Conquest.
Kind Regards,
Robert Johannessen - Game Designer
To learn more about the second please visit our website:
www.dragonlords.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the detailed ... ummm.. details about the new additons to this game.
I'm very interested in seeing this new edition firsthand.
I'm not the kind of player to consider double-dipping on games usually, but form the sound of it, I'm sorely tempted.

For those who were wanting, yet undecided on the first edition, it sounds like this new edition may really be a big step in making QftD a classic fantasy boardgame for the lifelong collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So when is the new version going to be available and where? Seems it might be out since a few are listed in the Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johannessen
Canada
Out of town
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am glad you asked.
It is available now at your favourite retailer. You can also order the new edition from the website: www.dragonlords.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was wondering since on your website some of the pages show the new version and some of the pages show the 2nd edition. The order page seemed to have the advanced version of the game and the other expansion but I thought you said those were just for the 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johannessen
Canada
Out of town
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The first edition of the game (black box with red foil stamping) is sold out. The second edition is the new version of the base game of the series. The second edition is also available in a Greek, German and French. These versions are completely printed in their respective languages, not just the rulebook.

Now, I am glad you brought up the compatibility issue as we receive many inquiries as to whether the expansion games (Crystal of Power & advanced game expansion) will also work with the new version of the game. They do.

Our website is essentially used to descibe our products and place where players can ask questions they may have. So it is still a source of information for those who have the first edition of the game. The transition between the two versions is proving to be a little difficult. But as I have mentioned previously, we are a new game manufacturing company and we do listen to players concerns. Many of the changes to the base game were a direct result of some of the comments we received here at the geek.

Thanks for the chance to explain these points,
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip, your point No. 2 gave me the best audible chuckle of the evening. Thanks. That dog got my dragonlords big time.

Robert, congratulations, your information has sufficed to inspire me to double-dip. Second Edition will be joining First.

One (probably silly) question: any possibility the second edition rules would work on the first-edition map, thereby providing owners of both the opportunity to play the game in "alternative worlds?" Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johannessen
Canada
Out of town
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, you could use the old map to play. You would have to add 2 more Wasteland spaces - Oracle and Teleportal. We have made a 3D map that is 6 feet long with mountains and trees. You could actually make a map that is completely different, so that more than 6 people could play or make the map with much more water to increase naval activity. When I take the BIG board to shows, we play the game with all painted pewter figs. It is really beautiful to look at. There is a picture of the big board in the first edition listing here at the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds very promising, Robert! I'm one who abstained from purchasing based on some of the niggling issues that people had reported on. Now, this might just jump back on my "buy" list.

As far as backwards compatibility...well done. FFG Runebound fans know about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.