Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: 2 questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I played this and loved it to no end. Really great game, and different enough from DC to make me wanna buy it. Which leads me to question #1.) is this out in stores yet here in the US?

Secondly, some of the wording on the archenemies is a little confusing. We ran into multiple instances where in effects were based off of having higher or lower card values but we tied (in a 2-player game). My interpretation of this was that nothing would happen. However, wording on the Witch-King is even further in ambiguity as it states 'Each player,' but then goes on to say 'that player,' which would imply a single player, whereas 'each' could be more than one. My opponent felt that if we tied, we were both highest and lowest, simultaneously. What's the official verdict--I don't have the rules, as I don't own the game.

Any insight into these questions would rule (them all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksome S. Brute
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that as of today it is available at my FLGS in Canada! Can't wait to go pick it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
First of all, I played this and loved it to no end. Really great game, and different enough from DC to make me wanna buy it. Which leads me to question #1.) is this out in stores yet here in the US?

Today is the official release date, so call your local hobby shop!

Action Phase wrote:
Secondly, some of the wording on the archenemies is a little confusing. We ran into multiple instances where in effects were based off of having higher or lower card values but we tied (in a 2-player game). My interpretation of this was that nothing would happen. However, wording on the Witch-King is even further in ambiguity as it states 'Each player,' but then goes on to say 'that player,' which would imply a single player, whereas 'each' could be more than one. My opponent felt that if we tied, we were both highest and lowest, simultaneously. What's the official verdict--I don't have the rules, as I don't own the game.

Any insight into these questions would rule (them all).

A tie for highest in a 3+ player game means you are both highest, so you would both be affected by the Archenemy attack. In a 2-player game, a tie means the 2 of you are both highest and lowest. So you both suffer the highest penalty and the lowest penalty (if any). You don't avoid the highest penalty by also be lowest.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. This seems odd, for sure. There was actually an instance where if played as such (in Impossible Mode), nothing happened: lowest puts 3 corruption on top of their deck, and then highest removes top 3 cards of their deck--so nothing happens. I can't recall the card name, but this happened. Are ties covered in the rules? I would think most people's interpretation of most and least doesn't mean the same.

What is the deal with the Witch King wording? This is def a bit confusing, as it the first sentence is more inclusive, and the second one denotes only a single player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Ties: There is no mention of ties in the rulebook. If we want it to apply to just one player we use the wording: "If one player reveals more Courage cards than any other player." Hopefully by saying "Each player" people will get understand that more than one can reveal the most.

WK: It denotes a single player, as there is the qualifier: "each player who reveals." So now we are talking about one or more specific players "who revealed."

Using "those players" would help the tie situation, but would look really odd when it is just a single player.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

PS: When we reprint, I'll make sure we clarify these things a bit better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. To me 'most' and 'least' shouldn't mean the same. In the instance of the aforementioned card wherein we went through multiple steps, all of which equated nothing happening (placing 3 corruption on our decks and then immediately removing them) def felt like an afterthought. I don't know if this came up in testing at all, but this def would be an argument that in the instance of ties nothing happens.

Anyway, I did enjoy the game, and was pleased to see the differences from DC. Def address these in any future printings/a FAQ might be helpful for some. My opponent is giddy to have been correct in his assumption, but I maintain that coming to such a conclusion is not directly intuitive at all.

Thanks for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.