Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dump Off: "If this player would become the ball carrier or drop the ball, you may move the ball to a friendly player at this matchup" ... since it says "a" and not "another", he can choose himself and thus hold on to the ball instead of dropping it, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't dump off to yourself. stop trying to lawyer the language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
You can't dump off to yourself. stop trying to lawyer the language.

Well, since I wondered this in a solo game, it's not like I'd have gotten an advantage out of it over somebody else

Since I have two rules questions about the expansion as well, I'll just go and ask FFG. Thematically, I see justifications for both interpretations (though probably more so for not being able to dump off to yourself indeed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"If this player would become the ball carrier or drop the ball, you may move the ball to a friendly player at this matchup"

It's pretty clear that you can't give the ball to yourself. 'Move the ball' is not 'may keep the ball'. Instead of that person receiving the ball, or if they have the ball and would drop it. Instead they may move the ball to a friendly player. A friendly player in this case counts as another friendly player in the matchup. Not yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you only drop the ball if you fall down and you can't have the ball if you're down, so you certainly can't dump it off to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
'Move the ball' is not 'may keep the ball'. Instead of that person receiving the ball, or if they have the ball and would drop it. Instead they may move the ball to a friendly player. A friendly player in this case counts as another friendly player in the matchup. Not yourself.

I agree, it seems to be implied indeed. It's just not really explicit, but I'm probably splitting hairs too much.

Jlerpy wrote:
Also, you only drop the ball if you fall down and you can't have the ball if you're down, so you certainly can't dump it off to yourself.

Not really - a player with Sure Hands gets to keep the ball when he's downed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick perusal of the FAQ muddies things up a little bit more!
FFG FAQ wrote:
Q: Can a standing player with the dump-oFF ability move the ball
to a downed friendly player at the same matchup?
A: Yes.

So if you can move the ball to a downed friendly player... However, I'm of the opinion that "move to a friendly player" clearly means another player. Especially the part about "move." I think any lawyer, rules- or otherwise, would insist that "leave in place" is not the same as "move." :-)

However, I can still see where haslo is coming from and if I were playing against someone like this, and we couldn't come to an agreement, I'd just flip a coin, and honor the winner's decision for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an answer from FFG, it is indeed not possible do dump off to yourself, and it looks like they'll fix the wording:

FFG wrote:
Q: Dump Off - is it possible for a player to dump off the ball to himself? Since the wording is "a player" and not "another player", I started being uncertain.

A: No. Dump Off should be stated "another player" to avoid confusion on. We'll be sure to add this to reprints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.