Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to get a test kit and was given permission to post a session recap. Last night we played a 6 player game of Tomorrow. It was obviously the first game for everyone.

Short of a minor rule I missed during the refresh phase about being able to remove or reinforce control markers we really didn't run into any rules problems.

I took control of the EU which gave me the ability to set the turn order unless the player controlling the Cyber Card took it over. I found it very advantageous and I think it quickly dawned on the other players it could be helpful.

Each Nation has special abilities. For example the USA has the CDC which makes it hared to start a Bio attack there. Bio attacks can't spread in and out of Russia and so on.

You start each turn reading an event card. Funny or eerily enough (depends how you look at it) our first event had North Korea nuking South Korea. Some events effect the game, other powers and some players can claim for end of game scoring.

The game started out with that first game feeling out period. Mostly diplomatic actions, or espionage to counter attacks. For me I started right off with a biological attack on South Africa.

A little something we whipped up in the lab called Professor Hecker's Blend. Some bio attacks have the chance to spread, some are more deadly than others.

Since the end of game scoring depends on more than just the number of population cubes you have eliminated. By turn two we were all jockeying for control of minor powers by military actions.

The Chinese player seemed well ahead of everyone thanks to using the cyber ability and pulling a lot of strategy cards that got him end of game victory.

Russia moved into South Korea as they had a card to score some victory points at end game. Of course there was a nuke marker there so that was minus 3 points but the positive outweighed that until the Arab Caliphate decided to Nuke South Korea again effectively eliminating the benefits for Russia and at the same time putting an end to all Starcraft competitions.

I honestly can't recall the specifics why that occurred because nukes don't help the players get the threat level down and are minus points for each one you have launched and each territory you control with a marker.

The reason I don't recall this is because the game is dripping with theme. We might of just gotten really good event pulls and strategy cards but we were having a great time talking some light trash to each other and laughing at the situations.

The game came to an end at turn 6, which I understand is really fast. This was our first game and we didn't have an idea if it would be difficult to bring down the threat level.

We know now that more defense needs to be played. Anyway more bio attacks and nukes flew. Minor powers changed hands for the political capital (end game scoring) and just as everyone was getting a good feel for the game it ended. Again our fault for not playing defense.

We were very sure that the Chinese would win but a lot of later attacks really reduced the population in his capital. The Americans who had been stopped time and time again from launching Bio attacks manage to sneak a few in in the last 2 turns and came out on top.

3 other players were tied for second about 4 points behind and the other two a few points behind them.

I am looking forward to trying it again this weekend. We had fun, the game was close and it plays very well and is easy to teach.

I can't comment on components because this is a test kit but from a game play perspective its very entertaining and one of those games that will get better as player learn how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupThank you for your review.thumbsup
I'm glad I got in on this one and I'm looking forward to it and I love the Team America reference. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most fascinating things I took from the feedback reports was how differently each group approached the game.

When I read comments like, "Russia's power is too weak" and then the next group says, "Russia's power is brilliant." I'm content.

It's the same with your view of the EU -- one group had a player who HATED playing as the EU and setting turn order. Me? I'm like you -- I love it. It's a huge advantage unless the player holding the cybercard decides to trump you. But as the EU you had best keep that cybercard OUT of their hands.

You let me determine turn order AND draw/steal strategy cards at will all game long -- I'll win.

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.