Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently found out a co-worker plays Killer Bunnies a lot and loves the game. He is unaware of the wider world of gaming though and I wanted to get some recommendations.

What games are similar to Killer Bunnies in some way that he might like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you tried Munchkin? x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
DrFace wrote:
What games are similar to Killer Bunnies in some way that he might like?

Hit yourself in the face with a hammer?

kidding, sort of

How about: Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion has cards with special abilities. Is this something that KB has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunship: First Strike! has some similiar elements. You play "Hit!", "Ionized!", and "Scragged!" cards from your hands in much the same way you play weapon cards in Killer Bunnies. And taking damage to your systems or weapons is almost as bad as losing a bunny. (It's a bit better for the attacked player since you can go back for repairs, but it has the same emotional satisfaction as your opponent tears your ship to pieces.)

It has a lot of randomness, and a really thematic visual component. There's dice rolls. But there's also cool stuff like being able to customize your ships prior to each game and such.

I think your friend will like it as a "step up" from Killer Bunnies. It's at that level where it might be an ideal compromise between a gamer's game and a casual luck-fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If its more of the theme your opponent loves, you can capture a lot of that same "violent cuteness" with much more tactical gameplay by participating in the secret animal wars in Nature of the Beast: Prairie vs. Polar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Bunnies and the Ultimate Odyssey?

Kidding, but part of me thinks this might just be a lost cause.

Maybe try a (relatively) deep strategic game like King of Tokyo or Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre for starters and then ease into Nexus Ops or Lords of Waterdeep once you've earned his trust.

You can't go from Cheetos to carrot sticks in one step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Thanks for the replies. I do think Lords of Waterdeep might work along with King of Tokyo and Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your friend likes random quirky fun that is pretty swingy. It doesn't have to be a card game like the others have suggested. My suggestion is that you have him play last night on earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
And you've tried Busen Memo?

Your friend may like some of the SlugFest games.

The Red Dragon Inn 3 or High Noon Saloon are fun and your friend might like it.

As more of a step up your friend might like Citadels. Just don't play it with more than 5 people. Super easy to learn, and fun to play.

If your friend likes group experiences, check out The Resistance or Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Of course, there is always Agricola.

Good luck and have fun.

abe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shmaybe Summoner Wars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one which might be a good stepping stone to other types of games down the road...

Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Nuclear War or one of its expansions? I believe either Nuclear Proliferation or Nuclear Escalation can be played without the base game.

It uses the same bizarre mechanic of queuing your cards for play, but instead of bunnies, you're shooting nuclear missiles at opponents. It's not a serious game by any means, and has enough flaws that it doesn't get pulled off the game shelf very often, but definitely quirky and irreverent.

And this suggestion is based on only having played Killer Bunnies once over 5 years ago. Other than the card mechanic, I don't remember much about the game except that I didn't like it, mostly due to the end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the Dungeon Command series. It is similar to Summoner Wars but much more presentable. He can muster creatures into battle, most of which die easily, and pound on your guys with said creatures. The game can be played in an hour-90 minutes depending on how much time is spent reading the cards.

Not really humorous like Killer Bunnies, but there are many funny, memorable ways that your little creatures die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Here's one which might be a good stepping stone to other types of games down the road...

Innovation

This is little like going from sniffing paint cans to shooting heroin. Once you've got your friend addicted to Innovation, you'll never be playing anything else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG!, High Noon Saloon, and Cosmic Encounter are fun and include a take-that mentality similar to Killer Bunnies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LarryKruger wrote:
BANG!, High Noon Saloon, and Cosmic Encounter are fun and include a take-that mentality similar to Killer Bunnies.

Oh, yeah! Bang! would be great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Love Letter? It's easy to teach and you have a lot of take-that action. Seems like a good stepping stone to more complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Why try to change them? If someone is having fun with something I don't understand why you'd want to take that away from them. They may like that type of game simply because they like that type of game. Trying to change what they like almost seems selfish or self serving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about RoboRally? It has a similar mechanic of playing your cards in advance, plus it's a little quirky and has a good amount of interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
Why try to change them? If someone is having fun with something I don't understand why you'd want to take that away from them. They may like that type of game simply because they like that type of game. Trying to change what they like almost seems selfish or self serving.

I was about to say something similar. First and foremost ASK if he wants to play something different. After that, then expose him to some easy games that you too enjoy. Really, that's the biggest key. If you don't enjoy the game you're trying to introduce him to even a little how can you possibly expect him to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

I never said I wanted him to stop playing it, I just said its the only game he plays and I want to introduce him to more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people don't look for new games because it doesn't ocurr to them to look. I can't tell you how many times I walked by hobby games in a game store without 'seeing' them becuase I had not yet been exposed to modern board games by new friends in my area.

As long as you do it respectfully, no harm will come of it. If he doesn't like the new games, he can continue with his Killer Bunnies marathon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiz-War (eighth edition) is humorous and has lots of interaction. It is easy to play when you are, shall we say, impaired. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That was me and my daughter. Had all the KB expansions, still do but sold a couple things. We got into other games last year and Munchkin, dominion, Fluxx are nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.