Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodd Closson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
In terms of defense:

If your ship has 1 or 2 agility then focus often doesn't pay off (esp. with 1 agility). On a single green die you have a 37.5% chance of rolling an evade. If you are at range three then the extra die can increase the odds of making a focus action offer good results.

This is opposed to using the evade action which of course guarantees you won't be taking one damage. A good call for ships who have 1 or 2 agility.

In term of Offense:

The major difference obviously between focus and evade is that not only can focus increase your odds on defense if you have a high enough agility, but it can act as a great offense choice.

So naturally some of the decision making is influenced where your ship is in relation to the enemy firing arc. No need for evade (usually) if you are outside their arc and you want to have a better chance for more hits. But, if you are in the firing arc of your enemy, then the choice can be tricky.

If I have a higher pilot skill and I want the best chance at finishing him off (one shot, low on points, etc.), then focus may be a good call. On he other hand, if it is more imperative that you don't get hit (low on health, don't want to receive an ion token, etc.), then obviously evade can be a good choice with a low agility, but focus still can be a better call if you have decent agility because you might need the chance for better damage mitigation (esp. when in multiple firing arcs)/

That being said, if I know my opponent has a higher pilot skill and will be shooting first, then if I don't end up needing to focus my dice results for defense (due to him missing or me evading via dice), then I have a nice opportunity to lay on more hits of my own.

In short, it's situational, but focus often has the chance to yield bigger rewards and is more multipurpose. But, evade is statistically a better defense for lower agility. Time and a place for everything.

Some nice references:

http://teamcovenant.com/vorpalsword/2013/02/06/when-is-focus...

http://teamcovenant.com/vorpalsword/2013/02/10/more-on-focus...

http://teamcovenant.com/kelvantiberius/2013/04/07/the-answer...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925935/evade-vs-focus-a-new-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoddimusPrime wrote:
In terms of defense:
On a single green die you have a 25% chance of rolling a focus, but 50% chance an evade.

Quick correction: The green die only has 3 evade icons. So the chance to roll an evade is 37.5%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodd Closson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Wedge1126 wrote:
RoddimusPrime wrote:
In terms of defense:
On a single green die you have a 25% chance of rolling a focus, but 50% chance an evade.

Quick correction: The green die only has 3 evade icons. So the chance to roll an evade is 37.5%.

Ack, I don't know why I typed that. Thanks for the catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice summary.

RoddimusPrime wrote:
In terms of defense:

If your ship has 1 or 2 agility then focus often doesn't pay off (esp. with 1 agility). On a single green die you have a 37.5% chance of rolling an evade. If you are at range three then the extra die can increase the odds of making a focus action offer good results.

This is opposed to using the evade action which of course guarantees you won't be taking one damage. A good call for ships who have 1 or 2 agility.

Unfortunately, no ships with 1 (natural) agility have the Evade action in their action bar, and the only 2 agility ship that can take Evade is the Firespray-31. Well, except for a YT-1300 using the unique "Millennium Falcon" Title, or a ship that normally has 2 (or 3) agility that has taken one (or two) face-up "Structural Damage" cards and ordinarily has the Evade action (e.g. an Imperial ship or A-wing), or a unique Firespray-31 pilot with the "Expose" upgrade/action (e.g. Boba Fett or Kath Scarlet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weird thing is that I consistently find myself wishing for Evade on my Rebel ships ... and almost always ignoring it on my Imperial squadrons (with at least four ships, that is).

Evade on one ship is a signal not to fire on that ship (obviously, sometimes the ship is too valuable for the signal to be heeded), so the action goes unused. (I was gonna say "wasted," but if it keeps a valuable ship from getting shot at, it wasn't wasted.) But Evade on every ship means lots of actions are wasted (on ships that don't take fire). Actions are just too valuable to spend two (or three, or four) to prevent 1 damage.

I think Evade would play much more as (I think it was) intended if there were some way to deploy it secretly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
The weird thing is that I consistently find myself wishing for Evade on my Rebel ships ... and almost always ignoring it on my Imperial squadrons (with at least four ships, that is).

Evade on one ship is a signal not to fire on that ship (obviously, sometimes the ship is too valuable for the signal to be heeded), so the action goes unused. (I was gonna say "wasted," but if it keeps a valuable ship from getting shot at, it wasn't wasted.) But Evade on every ship means lots of actions are wasted (on ships that don't take fire). Actions are just too valuable to spend two (or three, or four) to prevent 1 damage.

I think Evade would play much more as (I think it was) intended if there were some way to deploy it secretly.

That's exactly how I use it. I take Evade with Howlrunner and Focus (or Barrel Roll or Boost) with all my other ships. If my opponent fires on Howlrunner, Evade is there to minimize the damage. If not, it's done its job as a deterrent, because I'd always prefer to have my opponent fire on any other ship if it means not firing on Howlrunner. Only after Howlrunner is dead do I even consider taking Evade with any other ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:

It would be nice for a droid to be released that could give an X-wing or Y-wing the Evade ability. Since Target locks last from turn to turn if you don't use them, you can take the evade action and still have some offensive punch if you acquired a TL the previous turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
It would be nice for a droid to be released that could give an X-wing or Y-wing the Evade ability.

Luke + RDodge-FDuck would be a defensive PITA, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.