Axis & Allies: WWI 1914» Forums » General

Subject: Moving out of contested territories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Werner G. Elb
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello,

before playing Axis&Allies WWI the first time I want to solve a rule problem I have with the rule about moving out of contested territories.

I understand that I can move only land units from a contested territory in another contested territory if there is at least one unit from the same power.

What I don´t understand is that I can only move land units to an uncontested territory under control of my power. I guess my power in those rules is meaning the same nation. Therefore for example an Austrian unit can never move from a contested territory to an uncontested German territory because you can never have control of a allied territory. Or should I read this "to a friendly (uncontested) territory"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
My take from what the rules and FAQ state are that you can move from a contested territory into another contested territory in which you have or had your units in at the beginning of the turn.

If it arose or there was a question about it, I would go so far as to house rule allowing what you're proposing if the nations are allied and the area you're moving into is uncontested (like AH moving from a contested area into an uncontested German area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed that last bit. So retreating units are pinned on a 1 for 1 basis?

That would have sucked for the British at Dunkirk. Wrong war, but you know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Additionally when leaving a previously contested land region for another previously contested land region the number of moving side units left in the region being moved out of must match or exceed the number of enemy units still in the land region being moved out of, (in effect the units ‘left behind’ are “Holding the Line” against the enemy forces on that contested frontline) if this is not possible movement via land from that contested region is only allowed into a friendly controlled land region.

This is incorrect. The rules allow you to move all your units out of a contested territory. They are very clear about this. Not sure where you're getting the information that led you to your interpretation. P.15 of the rule book:

Quote:

If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see “Taking Control of a Territory”, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). Otherwise, if there are units belonging to only one enemy power in the territory, that power will take control, but if there are units belonging to more than one enemy power, they must decide between them who will take control of the territory (if they can’t decide, you decide).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner G. Elb
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for the informations. I hope after the weekend one of the guys from Hasbro or the A&A official forum can give further advice, Until then I´ll try to keep it simple: I let the original rule like it is and add only following sentence: If this is not possible you can move from a contested territory to friendly uncontested territories too.

This for example let US or British units to move out of a contested territory to a french territory which was not possible under the original rule (because French territories are always french controlled).

The possibility to move through a contested area towards the enemy to a territory which a allied nation has conquered (that´s seems to be the reason for that rule) became a rare event, because mostly you come from a territory controlled by you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule (which will be clarified in the FAQ) is that land units that begin the turn in contested territories can only be moved to territories that at the beginning of the turn were either controlled by your power (not an ally) or contained units belonging to your power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, you expressed your diappointment and negative views about the game over on CSW and now you're here doing the same and trying to promote your variants. As good as they may be or as good as you think they may be, why not just start a thread discussing your variants and leave the rule answers to the base game alone. Or just post your variant files here on BGG for anyone who wants them to enjoy. There are plenty of other threads discussing the disappoint with the game where you can gain much more traction and support than this one where its about clarifying a rule.

I finished a game last night with the rules as written and there were no issues with game play. It was fun and nobody had a need to change anything much less turn it into a different game which is what your variant essentially does.

The FAQ prepared and maintained by Kriefhund does an excellent job of clarifying the rules. It doesn't add to them. More important is that the FAQ, no matter how well respected, won't be official until its posted as such on WotC/Hasbro website, and for now it still resides on the A&A.org website. A great resource of all things A&A but not official. Even so, the only debatable issue I've found in the FAQ is the allowed or prohibited loading and use of US transports prior to their entry into the war.

I don't find the game a mess, or a ripoff. I'll venture that the vast majority of those who own and play this game enjoy it just fine as it is, with the rules as written, despite the shortage of a few German infantry and chips after the setup. I've personally found that issue to be a disappointment but certainly not a ripoff. At least not enough to return the game for a refund, which given my standing with the retailer they would have honored.

What I'll continue to do here is strive to answer or clarify the rules as written. Best of enjoyment playing your variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
I don't find the game a mess, or a ripoff. I'll venture that the vast majority of those who own and play this game enjoy it just fine as it is, with the rules as written, despite the shortage of a few German infantry and chips after the setup. I've personally found that issue to be a disappointment but certainly not a ripoff. At least not enough to return the game for a refund, which given my standing with the retailer they would have honored.

What I'll continue to do here is strive to answer or clarify the rules as written. Best of enjoyment playing your variant.

This. One hundred times this. If you have complaints, put them in the complaint section (don't worry, you will have company there, unfortunately). If you have a variant to suggest, post the files and share them with us all. And if you have nothing nice to say, then please say nothing at all.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner G. Elb
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello Krieghund,

thanks for clearing that. That is surely a rule to solve the problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, and as always you let your ego and emotion get the best of you. You missed the point again. No one is out to crush your opinion, only to focus it in the right forum or discussion. This thread isn't it. Start a thread of your own on topic with all you disdain about this game. I'm sure you'll have plenty of folks agree with you. Start your own thread about your variant which will likewise garner discussion from those interested. Stop trying to hijack every thread with your own personal agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardly. I've been a contributing member here long enough to know that BGG has an army of great moderators for that. And fortunately, like CSW, I have the ability to ignore your comments, just like anyone else in this community can do to me if they find me too overbearing, arrogant, or a "self-appointed policeman". Have fun gaming and enjoy BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.