Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best race tech rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the single best race tech in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't know that I have one that I would call best. Many are good, but most depend on the situation.

They all tend to play on a race's strength.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
L1z1x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot ever answer what is best ever. It's like asking what is best rock,paper or scissors.

Gotta say - Tribes - ability to not only look but steal card - that is one hell of a thing.

Mentak - 2tg for every battle win or lose, win you get to buy a ship. I love that one so much

From the perspective of what's best is probably Nekro - since they can steal others people racial techs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
mordai wrote:
What is the single best race tech in the game?

N'orr. No, really. Why do they have such dismal starting forces? In TI1, where they didn't, they were monsters.

Ha. Apparently it's the Confuso-tech, that causes me to answer about racial abilities. Ahem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bergen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Most are situational.

The Hacan ability to trade strategy cards can be pretty powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The reason i am asking is i am trying to make an expanision in text only and making a new race tech for each race...the most expensive ones are jol nar anthe baroneys but they are not very good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best Racial Technology is probably Quantum Computing (Mentak). The amount of resources this can give over the course of a game is astonishing...

The only competitor is the Arborec technology that doubles the build capacity of Ground Forces.

I can't really imagine the Arborec winning a game without getting that technology. But that might argue more for the weakness of the Arborec than the strength of the tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While some races clearly have better technologies than other races (no one in his right mind is going to dispute that Mentak's Mirror Computing + Salvage Operations >>>> N'Orr's Exotrireme + Valkyrie Armor), there is no tech that says "the best".

Unless a race gets a technology that says "you now gain 10 VP", not a single one is "best".

Often, though, for one particular race one racial tech >>>> the other one.

No one ever complains that Yssaril's Shuttle Logistics is so overpowered. Most people don't even know it exists. Very few people take it other than to prove a point.

No... it's Mageon Implants that people think of when they say "Yssaril is so overpowered" and "racial techs suck, because Mageon Implants".

For Arborec: Spore Acceleration is the end-all, be-all of techs that you want, no, desperately NEED in each and every single game. It's not as black as white as: have it, you win, don't have it, you lose. But it's as mandatory to that as possible.

However... what was their other racial tech again? Kudos if you knew without looking it up: Bioplasmosis. Another tech no one even mentions when discussing Arborec. I'm sure someone, somewhere, found a use for it and it may even helped win them... but I'm willing to bet they acquired the REAL racial tech first.

Sol, same thing. Mark II Advanced Carriers is good. Get XRD Transporters and you have speed 2, sustain damage, 8 capacity carrying 8 FF with +1 (due to Cybernetics). And that's 7 resources, 1 FS. Yikes!

But their other tech? Ahum, cough. The tech that shall not be named, but I will anyway: Spec Ops Training. A joke. The worst of the worst.

Personally, I think Mentak's are good. And IMHO, the best overall, for 3 reasons:

1) They give you extra resources. This is handy in each and every game. You will never, ever have too much resources so they will always, always pay back for themselves.

2) They feed off each other, enhancing each other. No other race can boast that.

3) *Both* of them are good. Unlike, say, Arborec or Sol. Or Yssaril. Or Barony. Or Embers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the Letnev make brutal use of their tech

Racial Tech 2: Noneuclidian Shielding (4) When you use the sustain damage ability of one of your units, it prevents two casualties (rather than one).

The Mentak are strong with theirs and I would put them on even ground or at least just above but only because of their Flagship.

I have seen the Letnev forces and even used them with their new racial tech become almost invincible in combat. If they obtain Duranium Armor and their Flagship this becomes an even more obvious problem as destroying their ships becomes extremely hard.

I have watched them win a battle with only 3 DN's, 1 Carrier with 3 fighters against a force of 2 WS with 12 fighters and 2 Cruisers and came out with all their forces intact due to the Racial and Duranium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
tawnos76 wrote:
I have watched them win a battle with only 3 DN's, 1 Carrier with 3 fighters against a force of 2 WS with 12 fighters and 2 Cruisers and came out with all their forces intact due to the Racial and Duranium.

That seems like singularly poor luck for the other side. Two War Suns alone average 4.8 hits per round, two Cruisers 1 (since someone with War Suns must have the Hylar V, absent the Muaat), twelve fighters 2.4 hits, for a total of 8.2 hits per round (enough to overspill Sustains even on the first round) of which Duranium can heal back two. Conversely, with average dice the Letnev will need five combat rounds just to chew through the fighters, even assuming the War Sun player fears Direct Hit enough not to take Sustain Damage there.

If there was not some rules confusion, like healing all units with Duranium after a combat round, this is so implausible a result that it says nothing about the inherent strengths of the Letnev racial techs, just about the abysmal luck of the opponent. Frankly I think there must be some mistake; it would be unlikely enough to win, let alone not to lose anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far i have 2 new race techs for sol and the ghosts...1 terraforming cost 6...replace your homeworld tile with new tile with 2 planets:jord 3/2 and mars 3/0 and exhaust both planets...
2 reality warp cost 6...put new d wormhole system with 1 planet:lego 3/0 blue tech spec in play...it would be like the ghosts homeworld tile...maybe something about lego may be the ghosts original homeworld in the text...of course the new planets come exhausted...

Thinking about some sort of planet sheilds for the turtles and a mass driver capeble of sending astoroids against planets for the saer but like the new homeworld idea the most so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.