Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erathor Erathor
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago, they might worry about getting sued by 1 company, but now they have to worry about getting sued by M Mouse company too....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parody is usually upheld as fair use. That's not to say a party with deep pockets couldn't make it painful to do, unfortunately.

Money : now more of a requirement for free speech and justice than ever before.

Alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can gaurantee they'll need to change this cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle wrote:
I can gaurantee they'll need to change this cover.

You are a lawyer I assume?

Robot Chicken - Star Wars

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spaceballs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Well, the wiki for Robot Chicken said that they were working with LucasFilm on some level as that's where they got the sound effects from and that it appears that Lucasfilm vetted the final product before airing.

Also http://www.fast-rewind.com/making_spaceballs.htm has a blurb (though I can't guarantee it's authenticity):

Spaceballs parodied Star Wars a lot, so allegedly they needed permission from George Lucas to make this movie. He agreed, but only under condition that they could not make any Spaceballs merchandise. This is why the merchandising in the movie is such a long-running joke - not just when Yoghurt is showing off the range to other characters, but all the prop merchandise throughout the movie. Spaceballs the Towel, Spaceballs the Toilet Paper, etc. It's also why Yogurt (as played by Mel Brooks himself of course) said merchandising is "where the real money from the movie is made".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Synnical77 wrote:
Well, the wiki for Robot Chicken said that they were working with LucasFilm on some level as that's where they got the sound effects from and that it appears that Lucasfilm vetted the final product before airing.

Also http://www.fast-rewind.com/making_spaceballs.htm has a blurb (though I can't guarantee it's authenticity):

Spaceballs parodied Star Wars a lot, so allegedly they needed permission from George Lucas to make this movie. He agreed, but only under condition that they could not make any Spaceballs merchandise. This is why the merchandising in the movie is such a long-running joke - not just when Yoghurt is showing off the range to other characters, but all the prop merchandise throughout the movie. Spaceballs the Towel, Spaceballs the Toilet Paper, etc. It's also why Yogurt (as played by Mel Brooks himself of course) said merchandising is "where the real money from the movie is made".

I recently watched Spaceballs with commentary from Mel Brooks. The merchandising scene is in the movie literally because Mel Brooks despised the notion that George Lucas made more money on merchandising than he did on the movie itself. To Mel, the very notion of a movie being less profitable than the toys based on the movie is absurd. It had nothing to do with a contract he signed with Lucas over fair use. He did get permission from Lucas to make Spaceballs, but he did that only for the same reason Weird Al gets permission to do all his parodies: he's a nice guy and doesn't want to make any bad feelings in those he lampoons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting. Like I said, I put no guarantee on the authenticity of that nugget but it was repeated in various forms on a number of sites. It sounded trueish but lacked the air of real knowledge. Ah, the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.