Subject: Help needed with Chaos Theory "turborig" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Souto
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello all!

I decided to build a deck based around the following ideas:

1) I like Shaper as a faction and want it to be viable right now.
2) I utterly despise being a hostage to plain bad draws.
3) I love running early and often (my first 2 clicks in the game are usually runs); however, I dislike the fact that Criminal decks will usually lose momentum if you haven't won by the late game, if you get bad draws, and/or if the opponent can get a powerful economy going despite your harassment. It's also pretty variable - you can get all the cool tricks early on and facerape or you can be stuck.
3) I hate being poor.
4) I like Big Rig, but I like it fast. I like MO, but I don't like to slowplay it.

So, I tried to build a deck that will:

1) Be very consistent.
2) Have money throughout the whole game.
3) Have early game options to pressure and/or pound your opponent while being sustainable through to the late game.

Which is asking for almost nothing, right? So my little nooby self tried a hand at building such a deck.

Here's the decklist:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrun...

Identity:
Chaos Theory: Wunderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Total Cards: (40)

Consistency (8 total)

Special Order (Core #22) x2 ■■
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3

Breaking (13 total)

Battering Ram (Core #42) x1
Corroder (Core #7) x1 ■■
Crypsis (Core #51) x1
Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus #48) x3
Yog.0 (Core #14) x2 ■
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x2 ■
Ninja (Core #27) x1 ■■
Tinkering (Core #37) x2

Economy (12 total)

Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus #49) x3
Stimhack (Core #4) x3 ■
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x3

General utility (7 total)

Public Sympathy (Cyber Exodus #50) x2 - for Stimhack
Infiltration (Core #49) x2
The Maker's Eye (Core #36) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 7
Criminal: 8
Shaper: 55

The idea is very simple and straightforward: Be reliable at getting up and running ASAP. Stimhack + PW for early breaker planting, MO for general moneymaking. Sure Gamble because Sure Gamble.

Memory is not much of a concern in this deck despite MO, as a full rig here costs 5 (Corroder + Femme/Ninja + Yog + MO). With Dinosaurus, it makes it possible to support Battering Ram, which is only in because I lacked the influence for a second Corroder.

Breaker choice:
Barrier: Corroder because it's awesome, Battering Ram due to influence shortage. Also, Battering Ram has fringe applications if my opponent is running huge Barriers such as Hadrian's as I can apply it to Dinosaurus to reduce their costs in the long run. It's only marginally better than Corroder even then, though. I am seriously considering taking it out, but having only 1 barrier breaker scares me a bit. Morningstar + Dino is a thought, but too much influence and Yog will usually have Dino, anyway.

Code Gate: Yog + Dinosaurus = No code gate except Cell Portal withstands it, meaning all Code Gates except Tollbooth and Pop Up are a waste of money for the corp, and even Tollbooth is debatable. It can be Femmed, at any rate.

Sentry: Now this is one of the points of most concern in this deck. This decklist I have just altered, so I haven't playtested with this iteration yet, but hear me out. I used to run 2 Femmes, 3 Special Orders. What I found was that I could not support the money of Sentrybreaking early on, because Femme is waaaay too expensive on her own and I would often have to waste her token on as-yet unreveleaed ice, and she's just utterly ridiculous to pay for in the long run for general breaking. So I took out one Special Order and added a Ninja. Kept two Femmes because two tokens in the lategame might come in as essential (and I could support it memorywise with Dino if I didn't play Ninja), but that's definetly an issue I'm torn about.

This is still a BIG problem on the deck, though, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I just feel Sentries cost way too much to get past and are way too scary to facecheck, most of the time. (Also, keep in mind that, depending on my opponent's Ice choices, I will definetly put a Killer on Dino - this is the exception to the Yog rule).

Crypsis as a red emergency button.

Huge weaknesses I've noticed:
1) Trace. Having 0 link means I feel very vulnerable vs NBN and Weyland. I considered adding 3 Rabbit Holes, however I seriously need input on this as I feel the deck is kinda tight as it is. And should I add 3 as if it were one card (thus going to 42), or remove 3 cards to increase consistency even more and get through crap quicker? Also, if I decide to add the Holes, should I also remove more stuff for Underword Contacts? It's a combo I want to like, really, but 6 cards seems too much for a *maximum* of 3 credits a turn after 4 clicks (7 if you count drawing) and 12 credits spent.

2) Damage. Having no Plascretes or Crash spaces or whatever means I'm forever afraid of Tag n Bag, especially running as much as I want to. I even run the pretty bad Public Sympathy to counteract Stimhack due to this. Should I replace Public Sympathy with Plascretes? What about net damage (namely Snares) then? It's one of the main issues on this deck, and I feel like Public Sympathy is often wasting space on the deck. Thoughts?

3) Facechecking stuff early, which is something I love to do. This is because of problems 1 and 2, and facecheking a sentry that could break an early MO is scary. This is precisely something I wanted to avoid with the deck. I still facecheck R&D and HQ on the first couple of clicks, but after I install MO I become much more cautious. I considered Sacrifical Constructs, but it's a long shot that I'll have it with MO early and it costs too much space and accomplishes little besides. One of the reasons I added 2x Infiltration in after a little playtesting.

4) Fast advance + Strong R&D protection. Halp?

I know it feels like I'm trying to build a Criminal deck in the end (I even seriously considered and am still considering 1 Sneakdoor as Test Run can fetch it, so thoughts on this one, pretty please?), but I really like the 40 cards CT has, I really like Dinosaurus in general, and I enjoy lots of the Shaper tricks as well (namely Magnum Opus, Personal Workshop, Tinkering, Maker's Eye and Test Run, which on their own would totally overblow influence for example).

Keep in mind I'm by all accounts a noob at the game (started last Friday). I'll obviously defend from stuff like "well just play Noise/Gabe" because that goes against the spirit of the deck, but I'm very open to suggestions regarding the specifics.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run a similar deck that I really like and I hate drawing unneeded cards, so let me tell you what has worked for me.

Firstly, you don't need 3x MO. I only run one in my deck. Between the test runs and getting a free reshuffle, I have MO up and running very quickly 19/20 times.

The same can be said of sure gamble (you can get 4 credits from MO in the same amount of time that is takes to draw SG and play it, but you NEVER need to have the 5 base money so it doesn't clog you up).

Yes, I've felt the same way about sentries as well. I'd say Rabbit Holex3 so you can just money your way through some of the more annoying tracing ice.

Since you like pressure early, you may want to try sneakdoor and put a couple dyson mem chips in for any extra memory needs. If you don't like the changes, no worries. Just my preferences and I liked the consistency.

- 3 Sure Gamble
- 1 or 2 MO
+ Sneakdoor
+ 3 Rabbit Hold
+ 1 or 2 Dyson Mem Chip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm not a huge Crypsis fan in this deck. It always felt like too much preparation for what I got out of it, especially for a turborig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kwok
United States
California
flag msg tools
1) What trace cards are you having trouble with? If they are ICE based, you can probably break the routine. Against ASH, you may need to trash it and run again. Against SEA Source, an extra link is just an extra credit, so just going for a stronger economy is probably better.

2) If Scorched Earth is prevalent in your meta, 1-2 Plascretes is fine. They won't be super consistent, but it does mean that your opponent doesn't have outright inevitability. The other way to fight it is to have such a giant economy that they can't land a SEA Source, but that is difficult if they force you to run through a big remote server multiple times.

3) The way you're playing the early game is fine. It's part of the dilemma of running MO.

4) Against fast advance, the key is to shut down their economy. Trash all their economic assets (except maybe Private Contracts). You can rebuild faster with MO. Force them to rez ICE on servers other than R&D, then run R&D when they're lower on money.

5) For your sentry problem, there are a couple of options. The first one is to run Gordian Blade instead of the 2nd Yog.0. This lets you put Femme on Dino against sentry heavy decks. The second is to make room for some Personal Touches that would either go on Yog.0 or Femme.

6) Sneakdoor and Medium are both good options for Test Run targets if you can afford the influence.

7) With 5 tutors, 8 breakers, 3 MO, and 3 Dino, how often do you draw redundant cards? This does let you be slightly more aggressive against program trashing and general damage, but it is something to look into if you need deck space. It's also dependent on playstyle. Once you assemble your rig, do you continue to draw to try to hit your events, or do you only draw to soak up damage?

I don't think your deck is like Criminal at all, and I think you have a good start for someone who is new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're dedicating your 3 Test Runs to getting an Opus, you're limiting the potential of the Test Runs. A good Test Run is one that grabs a Femme to shut down an agenda. Or one that completes your suite. Or one that breaks a stalemate by grabbing a Sneakdoor and busting down their front door 3 times.

3 MOs is good, you want to actually draw one. Between 3 MOs, Diesel and having 40 cards, you should almost be guaranteed not having to TR for an Opus.

But if you gotta you gotta.

And if you got so many redundancies, why are you still drawing? Stop drawing soon. And you can stop drawing soon by holding your TR to complete your rig, rather than to rush other stuff.

Again, depends on the situation, though. Don't go to turn 5 without an MO holding onto a TR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Tuism that 3 MO is good. You really don't want to Testrun it unless you absolutely have to.

I wouldn't bother with Ninja, just use Femme as your main Killer, play 3 if you think it's necessary.

"Sure Gamble because Sure Gamble." doesn't apply if you play MO. If you need Credits, use MO, don't draw cards. Drawing and playing Sure Gamble is 2 clicks for 4 credits, which is as efficient as clicking with MO. If you're concerned about trace, replace these with Rabbit Holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... If Shaper wants to be quick and just make runs, why not just go with DejaVu x2 / Sacrificial Construct x1 and just run into anything. Who cares if something gets trashed.

Who needs Ninja when Femme is on Dinosaurus? Also, Tinkering helps Shaper be even faster.

Tricks:
x2 Inside Job
x3 Femme
x2 DejaVu
x2 Stimhack

Break:
x2 G Blade
x2 Snowball

Turbo:
x3 Tinkering
x3 Test Run

Utility:
x3 Personal Workshop
x3 Dinosaurus
x2 Diesel
x3 SureGamble
x1 Armitage
x2 Infiltration
x3 Makers Eye
x3 Magnum Opus
x1 Sacrificial Construct

To be 'turbo' you can't waste your Test Runs on Magnum Opus, so I added the rarely seen Armitage.

Try it see what you think, NEVER FEAR the three ICE that trash your programs again mwhahah.

**Traps will always be a problem, can't help you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.