Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to move at the end of the month and want to make sure my games don't get dinged and dented. What do you folks do? So far I've using platic grocery bags and doubling them up and trying to find boxes that don't allow much wiggle room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bubble wrapped every game that I cared about and packed several together in medium to large moving boxes from U-haul and Wal-Mart. We used movers so I knew that someone other than me would be loading and unloading the boxes.

Some games may require a little attention on the inside if there are any fragile components as boxes are going to get dropped, turned on their side, etc...

I used moving as an excuse to dump some uninteresting games at the local Goodwill. I couldn't auction or Math Trade them away, and I didn't want to play them.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I this time I'm only moving an hour a way and we can sneak a couple car loads in so perhaps I will just move the games myself. Thanks for the tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankers boxes work great for storing and transporting most games. You can get them in bulk at Walmart and office supply stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Bankers boxes work great for storing and transporting most games. You can get them in bulk at Walmart and office supply stores.

Are they more "square"? that seems to be my problem but so far I've been filling the space with peanuts. I can't afford to bubble wrap each game. I'm hoping if I transport them myself they will be safe in the hour car ride. Leaving the moving truck for the big stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Bankers boxes work great for storing and transporting most games.

What is a banker box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Bankers boxes work great for storing and transporting most games.

What is a banker box?

My thoughts exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Are they more "square"? that seems to be my problem but so far I've been filling the space with peanuts. I can't afford to bubble wrap each game. I'm hoping if I transport them myself they will be safe in the hour car ride. Leaving the moving truck for the big stuff.

They are 12(length) x 15(width) x 10(height) inches and work well with all but the biggest games for me.

They come flat and you just fold them into a box and lid. No tape needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Packing material is silly when moving. You've probably got
soft stuff like clothing that works perfectly for filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Packing material is silly when moving. You've probably got
soft stuff like clothing that works perfectly for filler.

Good idea, I have a shit ton of t-shirts I could use. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liquidus
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
towels, dish cloths and extra clothes are prefect, the old standby of crumpled newspaper works well too. I've moved a few different states and city's over the last few years using this method with no damage to my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got done moving ~350 games of a 500+ collection around 1400km.

What I did was packed all of them in 2 cube boxes (1'x1'x2'). First I picked up some extra large clear recycling bags (because putting my games in garbage bags bothered me...) and then packed in the games into the boxes from there. Aka, put the bag in the box as a liner and then put games in the bag. The packing took some time as finding the right combination to make everything fit was a challenge.

I also had a lot of hard card cases (think the Ultra-Pro sports card cases) that I used to close up the gaps and made sure nothing was moving in the boxes. Making sure nothing moves in the box is key as movement is what will create scuffs and gouges in anything during moving. Also the 30-40 plano storage cases I use for my miniatures worked well to fill the weird gaps. Any remaining gaps I filled with whatever I could find that would compress.

After I was done I folded over the top of the bags to provide a water resistant package. They won't survive being submersed (which I don't think will happen) but they will be ok if their storage springs a leak.

One thing I can't say enough good things about is dollar store shrink wrap. For packing and moving it's perfect, grips, holds things together without needing tape or paper or bands or anything. Worked perfectly for almost everything I moved. (Not just my games and supplies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The U-Haul "book boxes" are ideal for square-box games. At 12"x12"x12" they'll hold a stack of 3 or 4 with very little wiggle room. I used a layer of bubble wrap, but I imagine any light layer would do since they won't be moving around much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I have to move at the end of the month and want to make sure my games don't get dinged and dented. What do you folks do? So far I've using platic grocery bags and doubling them up and trying to find boxes that don't allow much wiggle room.

I just put what fits into a backpack and a large cloth grocery bag. The backpack goes on my back and the grocery bag onto the child seat on my bike. In the past when I played Arkham Horror at school with students, I would use our bike trailer. However, someone stole it. :-( I'm thinking of getting a duffle bag for larger games but don't know how they will fit on the bike.

Edit: just read your post instead of just the title. When we moved we used banana boxes and moving boxes. Nothing got dinged to my recollection. I probably put clothes into gaps to keep things from sliding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These bags from Ikea are great for transporting games but don't help protect them so they are great if you can bring them in your own car. The length and width of the bag fits games perfectly and they can be carried by the handles, as a backpack, or with a cart (Ikea sells these). A standard square box (Ticket to Ride size) fits perfectly laying down, allowing the bag to hold 8-9 of them (I'm not home so can't check) or about 11 rectangular boxes (Agricola size) with most laying down and some standing on their sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say this realy depends on the sice of your collection:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.24119075...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've moved a few times in recent years, and although I haven't had to move board games before I've moved a lot of other collectible things (old big box PC games, collectible books, toys etc.)

Generally I buy bubble wrap (you can get really, really cheap rolls of the stuff at discount stores) and sturdy moving boxes. Using that and good-quality packing tape (so the bottom of the box doesn't fall out) gets the job done well, with each individual item getting wrapped. I also tend to line the box with bubble wrap first to be extra sure - that way if it gets dented/dinged, or something small penetrates the box (it won't save you from a steak knife going through) then it will hopefully add some layer of protection.

Finally, if you're not the one who is going to be moving the boxes, be sure to label which way up things should go - you don't want to pack lighter, crushable items at the top and then have the box turned upside down.

It's probably more effort than is really required, but at least it stops me worrying about things getting damaged en route to the new location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storage bins /w lids would do just fine if you lined it with newspaper so they wouldn't get damaged. You could also use your clothes such as t-shirts, socks, towels, etc for a lining on the inside to help save on money. You could also tape the lid down to make sure it doesn't pop off. I assume you would already have packaging tape for the move so just use that to tape the lid down.

You can usually find them on sale somewhere as just about every place sells them.

Comic book boxes might be an option but I'm not sure how many you would be able to squeeze in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milk creates was a good suggestion. So far I've been able to get them all in boxes wrapped with plastic grocery bags and t-shirts to keep them from getting scuffed. I am moving them in my personal vehicle to minimize any chance of damage. Lots of good ideas, thanks for all the input. Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest thing is eliminating any type of rubbing - vibrations from the car will cause significant shelf wear.

Any type of soft layer works - T shirts (As suggested) bubble wrap, towels, etc. - anything to eliminating/dampen the effects of the vibrations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
The biggest thing is eliminating any type of rubbing - vibrations from the car will cause significant shelf wear.

Any type of soft layer works - T shirts (As suggested) bubble wrap, towels, etc. - anything to eliminating/dampen the effects of the vibrations.

Do you think a plastic bag is enough to minimize the wear? I have each game double bagged, and there isn't much room for them to slide around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Do you think a plastic bag is enough to minimize the wear? I have each game double bagged, and there isn't much room for them to slide around.

AS long as you don't have game on game rubbing, it should be fine - but make sure the games cant slide to much in the bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used plastic tubs(think rubbermaid) in the past. They work great since they have lids and are very sturdy. They also have handles which make them easy to carry. The lids are plus just in case it starts raining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.