Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this game, and I'm interested a bit in it, but I want to have a better glimpse at the rules, or hear from someone how well or poorly the rules are written and how much detail there are in the rules.

Does anyone have any information about this game to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joseph amatucci
msg tools
Here is the review I posted at Historical Boardgaming just after I bought the game about 1yr ago.

In a nut shell; VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! My sons and I tried for a full week to understand the game and get it going. We were in regular email communication with whom I believe is the writer of the game. We had many of our questions answered and ambiguities in the rules clarified, but It just was not working for us. Now before you think we are a few Risk players just in over their heads, let me say that we are long time war-gamers not afraid of complicated rules. Hell, we even play the old Avalon Hill game Third Reich. (I think A World in Flames may be the only WWII game more complicated) Our favorite game is Axis & Allies. We own just about every version including the Europe/Pacific 1940 games. For some time now, we have wanted something with the fast pace and playability of Axis & Allies but with more realism and additional game mechanics encompassing things like supply and sea transport. This is why we were so excited about Europe at War and why the game's shortcomings are such an extra disappointment. Please don't missinterpret my criticism of the game as a lack of appreciation for the work the writers did. My son and I created a set of house rules for Axis & Allies Europe/Pacific 1940 which we properly printed and hosted the game at a convention last year. We did an immense amount of work on this and we did not have to create the game from scratch, so I can certainly appreciate the work done by the creators of Europe at War. The makers of this game have some very interesting and clever ideas. In fact, I would say that every new system introduced was good and many are systems I have been trying to integrate into Axis & Allies for some time. This is not the place to go into detailed explanations of what was wrong with each and every rule. Perhaps I could get back in touch with the writers and see if they want my input. I would even be wiling to help play test the game. And this brings me to my final assessment. Although very promising, this game was simply not ready for release and should not have been. The game needs fine tuning in some places, moderate revisions in others and major reworking in some.
Reviewed by: joseph amatucci from Boston. on 1/11/2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.